Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

View Poll Results: DO YOU SUBMIT YOUR BODY TO THE LIST???
Yes, I have no interest in keeping a bedpan near my computer. 165 81.68%
No, how can I have fun if I can't keep others from accomplishing their goals? 37 18.32%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 08:51 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry that you can't lock down and farm Manastones and Guises and prevent anyone outside of your guild from getting them
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaezil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Found the unemployed stay at home son right here

Sorry you wont get camp lockdown
Ah okay, now I remember why I stopped interacting with the P99 community.

I work full time and I'm currently pretty invested into WoW Classic. I'm going to be playing on Green very casually if I play at all. I camped a couple manastones back in 2009, and I sold them for next to nothing because everyone had one. I don't really give a shit about whether I personally get a manastone on Green or not.

But, my post had nothing to do with what I'm personally planning to do on Green. I don't know why everyone on the internet has to take every comment as some personal attack against them and turn every discussion into a battle of us vs. them. Can't you people act like grown adults for once?

I don't care if you like a mechanic because it gives you an advantage or dislike a mechanic because it gives your opponents an advantage. None of that shit matters. The development team has been clear that their main goal is an accurate recreation of classic EverQuest. I'm sorry if this hurts your feelings but Nilbog didn't start this project just so that one day aaezil and cd288 could loot a manastone.

Anyways, I don't really care if /list exists or not. My personal opinion is that it's silly, manastones aren't that rare, they're in the game for a long time, and everyone will have an opportunity to buy one even if they can't farm it themselves. And that applies to just about every item in the game. It's also a completely arbitrary mechanic, since there's really no difference between farming HBCs for a few days to sell and buying the gear your character needs, and just camping that gear directly. It's all the same, /list doesn't really change anything, except for forcing players to play in a specific way. In other words, neckbeards don't really suffer directly, it's really just the people who prefer to sit in the same room and camp a single item for awhile for profit. Ironically these are usually the people who are playing from work or while they have some sort of other distraction going on, not the NEETs.

But I digress, and my personal opinion is mostly irrelevant anyways.

My original point is that there was a design philosophy that went into creating EverQuest, and that unique design philosophy is what makes the game what it is.

Part of that original design philosophy is that just like in real life, players will come into contact with one another and they will have to compete for resources. That is a big part of the immersive online experience that EverQuest provides. And sure it sucks to have to compete with other people sometimes, but if you remove the competition for resources then you remove a big part of what makes EverQuest EverQuest, and now we're just playing a shoddy WoW clone with terrible nostalgia graphics.

So, my comment has nothing to do with the eternal neckbeard vs. casual conflict, so stop framing every discussion in that way. The discussion was about whether this is a mechanic that makes sense within the context of the game or not. And I think that's a clear no.
Last edited by Byrjun; 10-18-2019 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: #nochanges
Old 10-18-2019, 09:53 AM
Planar Protector

And now I remember why I disliked these forums - the lack of an ability to edit a post. C'mon developer dudes, I think forums invented this technology before Everquest even came out.

Imagine this part is attached above:

EDIT:

Oh yeah, I meant to respond to this one too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoya [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
there is absolutely no way of recreating classic. ever.
I've heard some version of this phrase about a hundred times since P99 launched. "Why bother removing the target ring/compass/maps, you can't perfectly recreate classic anyways?"

I probably heard it about a hundred more times with WoW Classic. I'm not sure why people default to this, because it's a pretty stupid thing to say.

It must be one of those logical fallacy things with some sort of fancy name, one of you college goin' folk can probably chime in on that. But whether or not the staff can perfectly recreate classic EverQuest is completely irrelevant to the discussion. The fact that they can't doesn't invalidate the entire project somehow. That's literal crazy talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoya [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
we can however try to recreate what it felt like to play classic, including getting on lists and looting powerful items. lists are classic as fuck. it was just not a mechanic.
So your argument is that /list is an integral part of the classic EQ experience, even though it's never existed before until now, 20 years after the release of the game this project is aiming to emulate?

That's even crazier talk.
Last edited by Byrjun; 10-18-2019 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: #nochanges
Old 10-18-2019, 10:23 AM
Sarnak

Nagoya is talking about top guild and public lists that was in classic. On Tunare, naggy and vox loot was handled by lists. Raid schedules were as well. They were just kept by the community and not by a script.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:29 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrjun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is the kind of stuff that I don't understand about P99.

So much effort is put into making this the most authentic classic experience possible, down to objectively making the game worse by removing very simple QOL features like being able to have more than 6 hot buttons and third person camera controls.

But then they implement custom stuff that completely goes against the spirit of classic EverQuest, like this list system. This particular system essentially combines the worst features of open world design with the worst features of instanced content.

Like, I get the intention, and I understand trying to ensure a fair playing field for everyone regardless of how often they're able to play the game - but that's not classic EverQuest.

If you really want people to be able to experience content on a limited schedule, then that problem was already solved a long time ago when instancing was implemented. But instancing isn't classic EQ, and neither is this list system.

There's nothing more classic EQ than some neckbeard holding the manastone camp for a week straight. If the purpose of the project is to maintain an accurate recreation of classic EQ, then I feel that all of the blemishes should be kept intact as well.
This
Old 10-18-2019, 10:33 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bum3 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nagoya is talking about top guild and public lists that was in classic. On Tunare, naggy and vox loot was handled by lists. Raid schedules were as well. They were just kept by the community and not by a script.
Sure, and there were lists for camps like goblins in HHK. That was definitely a part of the game.

But there's a massive difference between a player-maintained and agreed upon list, and a command baked into the game that forces other players to obey it. They're completely different things, and I don't feel like the latter is in the spirit of classic EQ, for the reasons I mentioned above.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:43 AM
Fire Giant

They should just leave the poopsockers to it. They are the ones probably hurting their bodies barely sleeping and/or screwing over people for pixels. Not meant as an insult, if someone feels strongly enough about a manastone that they would screw over another player or sit for 48 hours straight waiting...then er cool [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-18-2019, 11:52 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrjun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sure, and there were lists for camps like goblins in HHK. That was definitely a part of the game.

But there's a massive difference between a player-maintained and agreed upon list, and a command baked into the game that forces other players to obey it. They're completely different things, and I don't feel like the latter is in the spirit of classic EQ, for the reasons I mentioned above.
A poopsocker who broke the player agreed upon lists and ks or took the camp by force was warned and removed from the zone by a guide. Just pretend the command baked in is a player agreed upon list in that manner and all is good. Because the majority do in fact agree on the command list.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:07 PM
Planar Protector

Talking

It'd be funny if those opposing the list idea were put on the packets of death list; so they'd still get their own form of list. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-18-2019, 12:53 PM
Planar Protector

On classic these items weren't permacamped. For psycopaths the best long term investment in this server would be to permacamp the manastone because it is a super easy camp and it has a very high value item. It is the best use of time in the game. You could get and hold that camp for a couple weeks and then trade manastones for PL's for like 100 other characters or other raid drops that take massive time to get.

For this reason, the only thing that makes sense is either to not have the item in the game which is what verant would have done, or to make the /list so you basically need to level up a character to viability and THEN sit in line each time you want to get 1 manastone. It means there will be a much MORE classic allocation of manastones than there otherwise would be.

Its a classic nostalgia / recreation server and they do what they can to emulate the game itself and in this case the classic player experience.

It is the best idea ever.

Locket of Escape i guess will be the same situation which will mean they won't be all stuck in the hands of psychopaths which is really great.

At the same time, I dunno. Melee were just not meant to be able to bind anywhere. If you let people have these items, melee is now a binding class, and with a gate pot they are now gating classes too which further gimps out classes that have those abilities built in.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:50 PM
Aviak

Quote:
At the same time, I dunno. Melee were just not meant to be able to bind anywhere. If you let people have these items, melee is now a binding class, and with a gate pot they are now gating classes too which further gimps out classes that have those abilities built in.
If there's one thing everyone agrees on, it's that warriors are already op compared to classes that can gate.
Closed Thread