Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 07:20 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Want to experience Planar Raiding and Epic Questing

Greetings! I just found out about P99 Green and I'm staring at the character creation screen.

I'd like to give you a little background about my experience with EQ first. I started EQ with the release of Velious. I played Mage(Main) Rogue Bard through-out Velious and seriously enjoyed the OTM calls to Velious Raids and Ring Wars. I really enjoyed the game up to LDoN where I left. I never got to experience Vanilla planar raiding and Kunark Era Epic quests. I later did many of those quest steps as a Duo with my SHM friend. So Mangler releases and I'm late to the party again. I start the server 3-4 weeks before Kunark is set to release. Behind the curve, I start out with an ogre SK and box a troll SHM, later adding a human MNK to reduce downtime. (I know! No boxxing on P99!) I really enjoyed questing my Darkforge set and Totemic set for those toons. I'm happy with level 40 toons, but then Kunark releases, I'm in EC tunnel the next week and standing there is a level 50+ Ikky Necro and I'm heartbroken. I've missed my window. Guilds have moved on and gear is rotting in Planar zones.

So, here I am starting over, I want to raid the plains at level 50/60 and work on Epics with an appropriate level group. What has me bummed out is experience penalties and being 4 months behind everyone else. I want to start a troll SHM, but the experience penalty and being exiled from Commonlands and Faydwer has me regretting that. Not the best choice for starting on a new server. I don't care for the Barbarian flavor SHM either. So, what are more new player friendly options that aren't a dime a dozen in Planar guilds?!? I for damn sure don't want to be Woody_DRU_#501 and then be competing against guild clerics for Wisdom drops. I'm not loot-focused, but I certainly took my lumps as a MAG behind guild ENC and WIZ on dungeon finds. What toon do you suggest for me to build a foundation on the server?
Old 03-18-2020, 10:34 AM
Planar Protector

If you want an exciting life of questing and having fun.... don't rush to level.

Instead go SUPER slow and as you level up look for every quest you can that looks interesting. Explore dungeons and try to complete things that may seem impossible (EPIC QUEST!).

Do some play sessions where you aren't leveling or even questing...where you just try to get PP or something in creative ways (like hunting down people farming fine steel in dungeons and offering to sell for them or buy them food and water!). When you're low level, earning 10 or 20pp with a clever scheme can be more thrilling than looting another piece of marginally better armor.

There are soooo many really amazing stuff that only really lasts in terms of power in the low / mid game. Such as bone wands which let you cast an 11 point lifetap! And they are easy to get, can do it at 12 or so....and at that level, having a bag full of those wands can make you feel like a god (let alone some other wands you can easily get lower level).

Grinding and leveling up super fast only to try and do one or two quests that end up more about long camps than any real challenge .... its only moments of excitement and fun. But staying lower level and going up REAL REAL slow is non stop excitement.

Ever take down a giant solo at level 8? Now that's bananas! You feel like you soloed a dragon!!

Even just running from city to city exploring is a sense of danger. A lion attack in the wild? Oh no!!

I been playing on green since it first came up, and I'm still a level 16 gnome. And it isn't because I don't play a lot!

Yup yup, give up the grind....embrace the adventure!! The....EVER....QUEST!!!
Old 03-18-2020, 10:45 AM
Planar Protector

Consider blue.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:10 AM
Sarnak

Consider blue.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:13 AM
Planar Protector

You still have 7+ months until Kunark just roll your troll shaman and with moderate play time you will hit 50 wellllllll before then, join a raid guild and the rest will be history my man! Welcome! If you have any questions feel free to hit up Occisa/Walli on green and I’ll be happy to answer as best I can.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:17 AM
Banned

Dont rush to level? unless you play 12 hours a day it will take months to level regardless

even if you want to play you may quit due to how slow it is, epic questing and planar raids?

That stuff happens 50+ Have fun !
Old 03-18-2020, 12:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AldraSpaceGoat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm staring at the character creation screen.

Guilds have moved on and gear is rotting in Planar zones.

What toon do you suggest for me to build a foundation on the server?
Halfling druid. Level as fast as you can get to 40+ and start farming rubicite. Sell rubicite and buy a manastone. Transfer the manastone to your new cleric. Now you will be allowed on raids.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:29 PM
Sarnak

the shaman epic tear was a poop show on blue, be interesting to see how it fares on green, i cant imagine
Old 03-18-2020, 03:26 PM
Sarnak

Lmao you dont need a manastone or any of that shit to raid. Basic resist stuff, set of pots and clickies and the will to show up is all you need for any class. And if a guild is loot counciling all the good shit to guild clerics etc they aren't worth being part of anyways.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:00 PM
Kobold

TBH there isent that many bards around, and they have enough utility to be brought regardless of their xp penalty

Trust me when i say if you are the right class the xp penalty means nothing at all, people are always relieved to get a SK/Pal or good CC bard in their party, even RNG can be useful in outdoor zones
Closed Thread