Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 05:37 PM
Aviak

Default Rest the dead unusable at higher levels

Hey guys, not sure if I'm just really unlucky or what, but I seem to get a ridiculously high crit fail rate when I try to use rest the dead in HS. I'm not entirely sure it's ever worked.

Is there a level cap to this spell? It seems like it's the highest level lull necros get, so maybe we just don't really have a lull spell appropriate for high level content?
Old 11-26-2018, 07:24 PM
Planar Protector

Im not too familiar with necro lull mechanics. But with chanters there is no level cap (I use my two lowest level lulls exclusively) and crit fails are basically a product of poor charisma.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:25 AM
Sarnak

It works. It also has a CHA check, and necros typically have low cha. So there will be lots of failures and crit failures. Give yourself some distance, have a spell gcd reset clicky. Be ready to FD after every fail. It works...you just need to position properly for the failures. I use it in south all the time, and it's required to break some of the spots necros can do.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:14 PM
Aviak

I have like 14 charisma and have lulled in crypt (sebilis) and the emp chottal area (50+ stuff) pretty reliably.

What seems to matter is:
1) your level vs mob level
2) mobs mr
3) distance

Three sounds strange but, if I go to max distance around two walls they very very very rarely crit resist and even if they do it's almost a non-issue as I can FD before they are anywhere near.

crit resist = rest the dead resists and they agro immediately
regular resist = they resist and nothing comes chasing you

checking my logs it works about 65%+ of the time on anything that's not chottal or the named (the duke/baron/hiero/harbinger spawn) - again those same mobs that account for a large portion of the resists are higher level and have higher MR
Last edited by dcrag; 01-19-2019 at 11:17 PM..
Old 01-20-2019, 03:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebutthat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It works. It also has a CHA check, and necros typically have low cha...
Is this known for sure?
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 01-20-2019, 04:39 PM
Planar Protector

I would say that maybe 2-5% of pacify resists for Loraen are critical, while maybe 30% are for Tideka. So it seems likely that Charisma is involved. I would guess that those spells require a charisma field and Necros get a low-moderate default value. For the same reason I feel like I get way, way more Screaming Terror resists than Dazzle.

It would be relatively straightforward to measure: 25 normal lulls vs 25 with cha gear and buff. It shouldn't take a very large sample size to detect a +100 cha change if it really matters.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:47 PM
Aviak

What are you fighting that resists ST a lot? out of like 840 casts I have like 10 resists
Old 01-20-2019, 10:50 PM
Planar Protector

$ grep "begins to scream" Logs/eqlog_Tideka_project1999.txt | grep Jan | wc -l
$ grep "resisted the Screaming" Logs/eqlog_Tideka_project1999.txt | grep Jan | wc -l

15% resists on a combination of L40-50 NPCs in KC, City of Mist, and Sebilis at level 52-53. I'm sure level has something to do with it, but I feel like Enchanters land more even at the same level.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:38 AM
Planar Protector

I use Numb The Dead pretty much exclusively and at 60 it works great, am I f#$%ing up by not using Rest The Dead?

And at OP I would imagine its 100% your level vs mob level that's making it suck for you. Remember, you dont need LoS for these luls, only a target and be within range.
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 01-21-2019, 01:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardp1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I use Numb The Dead pretty much exclusively and at 60 it works great, am I f#$%ing up by not using Rest The Dead?

And at OP I would imagine its 100% your level vs mob level that's making it suck for you. Remember, you dont need LoS for these luls, only a target and be within range.
It looks like rest the dead reduces their aggro and assist radii even more. As a chanter, lull (similar to numb) is ok for some pulls where mobs won't path right over top of each other or if I don't need to bump right into something to get past it or whatever, and it saves some mana. But calm (similar to rest) is a better choice for tighter quarters or higher-level enemies that have bigger aggro/assist radii.

The durations of the spells varies sometimes too. It looks like rest last 3 minutes max but numb is only 2.
Closed Thread