Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 08:13 AM
Planar Protector

Default Specific question on charming/exp

Suppose I charm mob A and have it attack mob B.
Mob B is now down to near death hit points so I break charm on mob A(which has done all the damage thus far).

Now, if I kill mob B while mob A is still alive do I get half exp or full exp?
Old 01-24-2019, 08:25 AM
Kobold

Full XP. As soon as you break charm, that counter resets. You can even recharm mob A after killing mob B, and keep moving to the next mob.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:14 PM
Sarnak

The best way to make exp solo is to find two mobs of similar level/HP/DPS, charm one, and have them beat each other down to ~2%, break charm, and kill both for full exp. If your pet is outdamaging the mob, spam "pet sit" until they are about even. If your pet is taking a beating, throw a DoT or nuke at the other mob to help even things out.

What you don't want to do is try to keep the same pet for several fights by hasting it and slowing the other mob(s), while breaking charm every fight. This is extremely mana intensive and you'll spend more time regaining mana than actually engaged in combat. The method I describe above lets you constantly kill becasue you are able to regen all your mana during the fight since the only spells you are casting are Tash and Charm.
Last edited by snyder43; 01-24-2019 at 07:18 PM..
Old 01-24-2019, 10:22 PM
Kobold

In my experience a pet being spam sat will do the same DPS as a pet not being told to sit at all. Telling pet to guard where it's fighting + spamming pet back off will keep a pet from swinging except when it gets hit.

Pet sit is easy to test even without a parse - give a pet a torch and haste, tell pet to attack and stun lock the mob it's fighting while spamming sit. You'll see pet melee text even while it's sitting.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Para99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In my experience a pet being spam sat will do the same DPS as a pet not being told to sit at all. Telling pet to guard where it's fighting + spamming pet back off will keep a pet from swinging except when it gets hit.

Pet sit is easy to test even without a parse - give a pet a torch and haste, tell pet to attack and stun lock the mob it's fighting while spamming sit. You'll see pet melee text even while it's sitting.
i always found the trick was to simaltaneously pet back and pet sit at the same time
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 01-24-2019, 11:12 PM
Kobold

IIRC pet sit increases the likelihood that the pet will be hit, while pet back resets its aggro and prevents it from hitting except as an immediate response to melee attacks.
@EndorraFeyborne Discord
Old 01-25-2019, 10:15 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Para99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

You can do guard and back off instead. Though yeah, unless your pet is hasted or the mob is slowed or both, it won't really affect DPS much at all because every time the enemy takes a swing, your pet will automatically start fighting back and fire off the melee attacks he has off cooldown before you can possibly get a back off in. If your pet is attacking faster than the enemy though, back offs will lower his DPS because he will only get a melee round when the enemy swings at him instead of every time he has his attacks ready. Though its not probably too common that you would slow an enemy or haste your pet and NOT want your pet to be doing max do I think.

I'm fairly doubtful pet sit changes its chance to be hit. But it's not something I've tested.

What pet sit is truly good for is interrupting spells your pet is casting that you don't want him to get off. Like if you've slowed something and your pet starts casting a dispel, hitting a sit hotkey twice and then the attack hotkey will avoid losing much damage but interrupt your pet from dispelling. Or sometimes you'll have a pet charmed who is low enough level compared to what you're killing that his spells never stick anyway but his melee still does damage, so you just keep using sit to cancel his time-wasting spellcasts.

The 'let two mobs of the same level beat each other down and do what you can with dots/nukes/back off (I prefer languid pace except at really low levels) so they both are low hp at the same time to finish them off' method is great, but not ideal for exp imo once you're in the 40s or especially 49+. With PE and the right level mobs you can aggro 3-5 at a time and root them all near each other and charm one at a time and it'll get beat down soon fast from all the other mobs near it, finish it off yourself, repeat. You kill 4-5 mobs in the time you'd kill 2 normally. It's especially great in HS north at 51+ cause there are plenty of things to TOT to keep your mana up through this but few spellcasters to break roots or stop to nuke you when the other mobs keep charging towards you initially to get ae mezzed before you cast your roots, etc.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 01-25-2019 at 10:25 AM..
Old 01-25-2019, 02:34 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjchanter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i always found the trick was to simaltaneously pet back and pet sit at the same time
What does the sit do in this scenario? I never parsed that combination but I feel like back off would be doing all the work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can do guard and back off instead.
Right, I don't remember the exact decrease in pet DPS with guard+back off but it's measurable. Spamming back off from the very beginning of a fight can make a noticeable difference even without haste/slow. It's better than nothing
Old 01-25-2019, 04:45 PM
Planar Protector

It helps your charm pet die faster because he gets hit for full damage while sitting.

You cant really slow your own pets dps because as soon as the mob hits your pet he will retaliate with every attack that is off cooldown instantly but you can help him die faster.

It's not amazeballs 1 stop shop type trick but it can help. If I have a pet that's like 19% hp , I'll try to /back /sit him so he gets closer to nuke range
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 01-25-2019, 06:38 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjchanter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It helps your charm pet die faster because he gets hit for full damage while sitting.
The every hit lands for max damage while sitting only applies to players, just tried it again with two mobs that were the same level and two mobs that werent the same level.

Different level:
[Fri Jan 25 17:22:55 2019] Sir Xantille says 'Changing position, Master.'
[Fri Jan 25 17:22:56 2019] Sir Lishmin tries to hit Sir Xantille, but misses!

Same level:
[Fri Jan 25 17:24:55 2019] Sir Ackmin says 'Changing position, Master.'
[Fri Jan 25 17:24:57 2019] Sir Lishmin tries to bash Sir Ackmin, but misses!
Closed Thread