Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 02-19-2024, 09:26 PM
Planar Protector

I found locustlure to be underwhelming for solo. Offhand proc ratio often not even worth the extra riposte damage for a 17 attack speed weapon. Plus if I am soloing I am opening with Spine Break for the most part.

Keep it in my bag for the occasional gimmick fight, but for straight grinding it's meh. I guess it's good if your group has no other slow.
Old 02-20-2024, 12:10 AM
Planar Protector

It's a trash item most of the time that's occasionally useful for a raid slow.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:21 AM
Kobold

canyoneers pike is one of the rarest drops in the game, a very rare drop from a rare spawn

slam shares a cooldown with backstab

poison is applied to weapon slots, but only procs when a piercing weapon attacks. this means you can save a poison for later if you equip slashing or blunt weapon instead. admittedly i only ever used this once in the wild, to split a low level spawn without dropping sneak or snaring the intended target before i got it away from its friend. in theory you could keep a target Spine Break'd multiple times in a solo fight if you backed off when it procced and rooted the mob, reapplied another spine break, and used non-piercing weapons until the first spine break wore off.

throwing weapons are garbage compared to bows, except for special mention throwing boulders if you are a barbarian rogue. they are horribly inefficient to collect but have resulted in at least one rogue Best of the Best pvp winner, being a barb rogue throwing 200 damage rocks that can crit from behind
Last edited by Tnair; 02-20-2024 at 09:23 AM..
Old 02-20-2024, 10:00 AM
Planar Protector

Keeping a locustlure bagged can keep a group going if you lose your slower.

Its worth having.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:04 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I found locustlure to be underwhelming for solo. Offhand proc ratio often not even worth the extra riposte damage for a 17 attack speed weapon. Plus if I am soloing I am opening with Spine Break for the most part.

Keep it in my bag for the occasional gimmick fight, but for straight grinding it's meh. I guess it's good if your group has no other slow.
Locustlure shines best when you’re fighting a hasted mob with no easy way to slow / dispel. Even then it is a gamble.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 02-20-2024, 10:11 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnair [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
throwing weapons are garbage compared to bows, except for special mention throwing boulders if you are a barbarian rogue. they are horribly inefficient to collect but have resulted in at least one rogue Best of the Best pvp winner, being a barb rogue throwing 200 damage rocks that can crit from behind
Jayya can't use them, but I did note its not too bad to farm them off the Ice Giant Diplomat. Not very fast, but low effort and easily soloable with small amounts of time playing and large AFK stretches.
Old 02-21-2024, 10:46 AM
Kobold

I personally found the locustlure useless on either of the rogues I leveled whether I was moderately geared or ultra twinked. From a solo standpoint the amount of damage I mitigated by the time it proc'd was offset by the drop off in DPS from using better ratio weapons resulting in longer fights and more overall damage taken. From a grouping standpoint this would be magnified as the group is killing mobs faster leading to less proc's per mob and less damage to mitigate.

Additionally using in your main hand to increase proc rates is impacted even more in groups by losing a high dmg main hand for backstabbing
Old 02-26-2024, 07:24 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Open fight with spine break, switch to locustlure to proc longer duration slow.

Worked really well for me soloing the barbarians in qeynos at 59
Old 02-27-2024, 04:28 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpathEQ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I personally found the locustlure useless on either of the rogues I leveled whether I was moderately geared or ultra twinked. From a solo standpoint the amount of damage I mitigated by the time it proc'd was offset by the drop off in DPS from using better ratio weapons resulting in longer fights and more overall damage taken. From a grouping standpoint this would be magnified as the group is killing mobs faster leading to less proc's per mob and less damage to mitigate.

Additionally using in your main hand to increase proc rates is impacted even more in groups by losing a high dmg main hand for backstabbing
I found this to be the majority of rogue proc tools unfortunately ... I had hopes for collecting effects via weapon procs, but yea anything you'd want to proc during the fight is offset by the target just dying slower instead. Got to a point where the only one I kept was my trusty Cat O Nine Tails from Kerra Isle, so I could buff my own agility to carry more loot.
Old 02-27-2024, 04:49 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnair [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I found this to be the majority of rogue proc tools unfortunately ... I had hopes for collecting effects via weapon procs, but yea anything you'd want to proc during the fight is offset by the target just dying slower instead. Got to a point where the only one I kept was my trusty Cat O Nine Tails from Kerra Isle, so I could buff my own agility to carry more loot.
I guess it depends on the makeup of group. I have been in groups with no slower, where using locustlure until proc was enough to help the cleric from going oom. Sure, some dps was lost, but pulls could be continuous with no downtime. More of a leveling tool than something to keep around endgame.