Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

View Poll Results: Do you feel the Green Server should revisit it's naming Policy?
Yes! It is supposed to be a fresh start! 93 54.07%
No thanks, i'll take the naming leftovers from Blue's 1,000,000 toons. 79 45.93%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 07:37 PM
Planar Protector

Agreed
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:51 PM
Planar Protector

I voted fresh start, but I think a reasonable compromise would be to only carry over names for characters over level 55. I think that's a good cutoff. If you haven't leveled the character past 55 in ten years of Blue then you can't reasonably claim you should own that character's name on Green.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:30 PM
Planar Protector

Red server didn't get reserved names from blue, so why should green?
Old 09-21-2019, 08:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daud [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But your second paragraph directly addresses your problem with the premise in the first. It's a spectrum of names, on one end with Aaragorn/Drizzt/etc, and the other, completely random names. Everyone, including staff, has a line somewhere on that spectrum where they feel is "too far" and that's just a preference where people fall, there is no intrinsic right or wrong to it where you have to be for or against something. "I can't define it but I know it when I see it", that's just the way human things work a lot of the time; including how staff even enforces the rules here, I've seen that one come up a lot when dealing with some of the heavy LawyerQuest types. So that's my position on what is and isn't ok for a name.

Yes, because I just don't care about that kind of stuff. I just find another name and move on. Or I'd make Kalasirys or Kalasirus or something (and just for fun, I tried both of these and they worked, so I'd be happy with that). Someone else got Kalasiris, thems the breaks, either I mod it or move on. Daud certainly wasn't the first name I put into the filter for my rogue, and I've got several more characters like this and it just doesn't bother me or make me want to delete someone else's character to get something I want, even if it is just collecting dust as a naked level 1 on a forgotten account. I don't feel like it gives me that right to do that.

I think the problem is people are getting real specific with what they want. When you want that name, and only that name, and that spelling of it, yeah, it's disappointing, especially if it's a level 1 character no one's ever seen. But I don't believe there's a shortage of names to the point where we should just delete or rename characters just because you happen feel disappointed that you didn't get specifically what you wanted.

Finite doesn't mean scarce, though. Unless you can throw out what percentage of the 15 quintillion possible names on this server meet your personal subjective definition of "good" and how many of those are taken, and I know there's a lot thrown out for ones like repeating letters and whatnot that doesn't make sense or violate CoC and every other obvious stupid combination, all we have really is how we "feel" how hard it is to get a name out of the name generator, and personally, I don't find it that hard. Obviously there's a lot of players who feel hindered that they can't get a "good" name past the filter, but, again, it goes back to my suspicions of what I think they personally consider "good", not feeling like there's a shortage, and not feeling it's right to delete other people's characters regardless of how much and when they've played.
All that and you still couldn't define the value to NOT get ridding of the characters no one is using:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
IF you agree with that on any level, and you're still against renames, then you have to believe there's a corresponding value to letting those names stay unused, which makes me wonder ... what's that value?
We can quibble about exactly how little value giving people name choices has, but if you equate any value whatsoever to it ... what's the corresponding value to letting characters and names rot forever un-used? There must be some value there to make you actively against a wipe.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:30 AM
Fire Giant

the fact that it is not forever loramin. these characters were created and they exist, ready to pop out of obscurity at any time. the value is in reinforcing the idea that p99 is a stable server and a stable environment where your characters are "safe". I know character purges are classic, but they were not universally liked, and they were far from systematic either.

You're asking to remove old gravestones from a cemetary that nobody puts flowers on anymore so that new tombs can have the best spots instead of these old fucks nobody remembers about. I don't think that's very respectful for a carebear hippie pothead like you! ♡
Old 09-22-2019, 01:32 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoya [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the fact that it is not forever loramin. these characters were created and they exist, ready to pop out of obscurity at any time. the value is in reinforcing the idea that p99 is a stable server and a stable environment where your characters are "safe". I know character purges are classic, but they were not universally liked, and they were far from systematic either.

You're asking to remove old gravestones from a cemetary that nobody puts flowers on anymore so that new tombs can have the best spots instead of these old fucks nobody remembers about. I don't think that's very respectful for a carebear hippie pothead like you! ♡
I'm not sold that because someone put five seconds of thought to name a character, and then forgot said character existed for years at a time, that it equates to something worthy of a gravestone.

They're more like the body of an insect: individually they mostly go unnoticed, but you want to clean them before too many pile up. A for effort on the pitch though [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:34 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
All that and you still couldn't define the value to NOT get ridding of the characters no one is using:
I answered all of your points in a respectful manner in the best way I could. I don't expect you to "get it", because we obviously value different things and it's just going to give different outcomes in opinions. So, one more time:

Quote:
We can quibble about exactly how little value giving people name choices has, but if you equate any value whatsoever to it ... what's the corresponding value to letting characters and names rot forever un-used? There must be some value there to make you actively against a wipe.
I finished my post on my main point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daud [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
not feeling it's right to delete other people's characters regardless of how much and when they've played.
Do I really need to explain to you that feeling taking something from someone could not feel right to someone? That's the value. Not doing something that's (I feel) is wrong, taking something from someone else regardless of how much they use it since it's not impeding anyone else's enjoyment of the game to any significant degree.

When I typed "all that", I even explained that I understood that some people felt like they couldn't get a good name. I explained why I didn't feel the same way, why I might feel differently if circumstances were different from my own experiences, and showed why I felt that way giving your specific name example.
Last edited by Daud; 09-22-2019 at 09:56 AM..
Old 09-22-2019, 10:12 AM
Orc

Really not a lot to ask to get to lvl 2 if u want to keep a character or name
Old 09-22-2019, 10:22 AM
Planar Protector

They should copy over the name database from blue and block them all from being created on Green. When Green ends and merges with blue, characters should have a green name bar, original blue toons keep their blue name bars.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:59 AM
Fire Giant

So let me get this straight.

I have 3 accounts tied to my forum account or whatever. If i have 1 name on each account that i want on green i have to log into 3 separate accounts instead of being able to use them all on 1 account?