Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 10-10-2020, 03:49 PM
Kobold

Default Character models not displaying properly

I recently switched graphics cards and since then my character models and all NPCS are stretched. I read this post, https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...tched+graphics, and took the liberty of reinstalling the game and applying the patch files, but the graphics are still stretched.

The graphics card I was using is a Nvidia 9800GT and the one I switched to is a 128 meg ATI Radeon PCI Express x16.

The graphics were fine on the Nvidia card, but no so on the ATI. I downloaded every driver known to man for the ATI, since I did not have the original drivers, and not one of them made a difference. I finally found drivers that were compatible with the Hardware ID of the card and installed them and the graphics are still stretched.

Last night, I removed the ATI card, booted into Safe Mode and removed the drivers, and reinstalled the Nvidia card and drivers, the graphics were fine.

I then removed the Nvidia card and replaced the ATI card and drivers and the graphics were stretched.

Weird thing is that I can play both EVerquest Live, and Everquest 2, with the ATI card and drivers, but not P99.

My system specs are as follows.

Dell XP 400
Pentium D 2.8 ghz processor
4 GB RAM
OS is Windows 7 Ultimate and all updates are current.
Original 80 gig 7200 RPM Hard Drive
Motherboard replaced but all chipset drivers are up to date and Bios has been flashed to newest update for it.
The ATI card was the original graphics card.
Sound card is Sound Blaster Live 24 bit and drivers are up to date on it as well.

I know the system is ancient but it still works outside of this issue.

Thanks in advance for any assistance I can receive with this.
Last edited by Bluedarksun; 10-10-2020 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: added sound card info
Old 10-10-2020, 07:17 PM
Planar Protector

Well, sounds like you've found it's a driver issue. Unfortunately, all I can suggest is using the time range feature of google and trying to locate a download source for some old drivers. I found some via Dell that date from 2006, but that's still a bit late for hardware that handsome:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en...iverid=r135059

You could also try reaching out to one of the ebay sellers (I see a few auctions) and see if they'd be willing to send you an iso of the driver disk if they happen to have one.

-Mcoy
Old 10-11-2020, 04:39 AM
Sarnak

there is some tricks to using dx8/9 to opengl

https://fdossena.com/?p=wined3d/index.frag

this can probably help, even if you use the regular windows drivers