Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 06:38 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's nice to see a preview of the dystopian hellscape China is gonna make of this country when they get tired of making plastic toys.
When is China going to buy out Games Workshop so i can finally pick up my tiny plastic man dollies for 25 pence a piece?!
Old 10-13-2019, 11:16 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When is China going to buy out Games Workshop so i can finally pick up my tiny plastic man dollies for 25 pence a piece?!
Production costs have never justified GW prices (ok, maybe in their very early days, but certainly not since they switched to plastic).

Plenty of other companies sell minis for like half the price. I bet they all source to China, it's just that GW likes to jack prices up.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:48 PM
Planar Protector

Xi warns attempts to divide China will end in 'shattered bones.'

Chinese President Xi Jinping warned on Sunday that any attempt to divide China will be crushed, as Beijing faces political challenges in months-long protests in Hong Kong and U.S. criticism over its treatment of Muslim minority groups.

“Anyone attempting to split China in any part of the country will end in crushed bodies and shattered bones,” he told Nepal’s Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli in a meeting on Sunday, according to China’s state broadcaster CCTV.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:44 PM
Planar Protector

Horza is a bot that posts articles with copy/paste text from them
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Horza is a bot that posts articles with copy/paste text from them
Teppler already did it.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:36 AM
Kobold

Unlike the USSR, China's always had a difficult time understanding soft-power and subversion. It's relied entirely on its economy these past 3 decades to bolster its influence despite it being completely reliant Western businesses. So what you have is a country that uses blunt hard language in every scenario.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:19 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisonzabi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Unlike the USSR, China's always had a difficult time understanding soft-power and subversion. It's relied entirely on its economy these past 3 decades to bolster its influence despite it being completely reliant Western businesses. So what you have is a country that uses blunt hard language in every scenario.
Oh I dunno, the fact they've used their economic might to buy Hollywood and large swathes of the video game, sporting and tech industries (this is just the tip of the iceberg imo) suggests they understand soft power very well. When the west was rich, we gave tax cuts to the wealthy, now China is rich they are buying assets that can be used to exert influence on their enemies.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:50 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrombosis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh I dunno, the fact they've used their economic might to buy Hollywood and large swathes of the video game, sporting and tech industries (this is just the tip of the iceberg imo) suggests they understand soft power very well. When the west was rich, we gave tax cuts to the wealthy, now China is rich they are buying assets that can be used to exert influence on their enemies.
That's a mixture of economic influence more so than soft power (your image, aspiration potential on other nations). The problem is that the end result is not to their liking. They're very blunt and jump in like a bull in a chinashop (no pun intended) when things don't go their way. And while they might buy shares into these companies or bribe them with their own populaces potential market, they don't actually produce the movies themselves nor do they understand how to deal with backlash without throwing an all out censorship temper tantrum which is what they're doing with the NBA fiasco. And this shows how flimsy their soft-power is when you see a major immediate counter reaction in how they deal with tension by escalating immediately to hard power.

https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/chi...bet-soft-power
https://www.wsj.com/articles/china-h...em-11567696212
Last edited by Bisonzabi; 10-17-2019 at 03:00 PM..
Old 10-17-2019, 03:49 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisonzabi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's a mixture of economic influence more so than soft power (your image, aspiration potential on other nations). The problem is that the end result is not to their liking. They're very blunt and jump in like a bull in a chinashop (no pun intended) when things don't go their way. And while they might buy shares into these companies or bribe them with their own populaces potential market, they don't actually produce the movies themselves nor do they understand how to deal with backlash without throwing an all out censorship temper tantrum which is what they're doing with the NBA fiasco. And this shows how flimsy their soft-power is when you see a major immediate counter reaction in how they deal with tension by escalating immediately to hard power.

https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/chi...bet-soft-power
https://www.wsj.com/articles/china-h...em-11567696212
Interesting link, the CFR one - thanks. I think their inability to deal with the reaction to the NBA fiasco comes from them not really understanding how much noise can be made on the free internet, understandably perhaps as they don't have the free internet. I could be wrong here as I'm not in the US but I don't think it was CNN or the NYT who first reported on the NBA/Blizzard issues - if this was the pre-internet age I wonder if we'd know about it at all. I suggest that the free internet is going to come under sustained attack over the next few years, already in my country the EU has succeeded in making the internet less free - many US news websites will not serve content to me because of EU passed laws. I also have concerns about things like abandoning net neutrality and how that could be abused to make wrongthink more difficult to access.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:11 PM
Planar Protector

I am just chiming in here to say some American companies boycotted the silly Chinese rules and still became the most richest and powerful companies on the planet.

Facebook
Twitter
Google

But you know, the athleete Lebron james is right, american economy gota make dat money right?

Sorry signing off, I stand with hong kong.
Closed Thread