Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 12:26 PM
Kobold

Default Gnome or Dark Elf Necromancer?

So I made a gnome Necromancer (Bertoxx) because I figured a gnome with a huge skeleton pet was hilarious. Not to mention a few other perks like Tinkering. He is currently level 5, but today I had someone tell me that gnome necromancers are absolute trash and I should just rename mine as a Dark Elf because of their 'Hide' ability and faction stuff. I figured being a gnome would make my faction as a necromancer easier? I'm a bit confused here.

Should I just stick it out with the Gnome? or am I gimping myself out and should switch to a Dark Elf since he's really only level 5? Just looking for opinions and or advice. I don't really see that huge of a deal but maybe my character will have issues later? Gnome necromancer seems pretty powerful to me.

What other additional benefits would I get as a DE that I don't have as Gnome?
Old 11-07-2019, 12:46 PM
Planar Protector

Gnomes can wall peek and get tinkering which helps necros.

Dark elves have better vision, cultural hide, and better fashion.

Play what you will they both get shit on by iksar come kunark
Old 11-07-2019, 01:06 PM
Sarnak

There isn't a trash race for necro. Gnomes are great. They are my favorite. Hide is a somewhat useful skill, but then you would be stuck looking like a dark elf when not in skeley form. Everyone looks like a dark elf end game. Dark elves are basic bitches.

The look through walls perk of gnomes is l33t. I use it frequently when soloing I tight corridors.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:43 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Gnomes can wall peek and get tinkering which helps necros.

Dark elves have better vision, cultural hide, and better fashion.

Play what you will they both get shit on by iksar come kunark

lol well that's not very encouraging. Maybe I should shelf him until Kunark then.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:44 PM
Planar Protector

Gnome is better than dark elf.

Hide is ok but not great, and you have feign anyway if you're going afk. Infravision is adequate and you get spells thst give ultra anyway. Gnome wallhacks are nice. Stats are pretty identical.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:41 AM
Kobold

Thanks all! I'll stick with the gnome then. I guess that guy was just being a jerk about it. I didn't think there was THAT much of a difference.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:21 AM
Fire Giant

The regen is great it effectivley stops the HP loss from lich. But honestly you can barely notice it if you sit down anyway most of the time.

Forage? Meh
AC increase for necro? Meh

Play what you want. It wont make that massive a difference.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:01 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xruptor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks all! I'll stick with the gnome then. I guess that guy was just being a jerk about it.
Yeah, the guy was definitely being a jerk about it, and he's actually an idiot if he is telling you to reroll a necro in classic era. I had a guy inspect me at level 8 and give me a hard time for having cloth instead of patchwork on my cleric. Now I'm in full banded. There will always be idiot blowhards in EQ.

There is an argument for the superiority of Iksar regen for Necro but Kunark launches in over a year and at that point you need to roll from level 1. Even still, the advantage from iksar regen won't make a bad player a good player. It will make a bad player level marginally faster, maybe, but actually not. Take a good player on a Gnome necro vs. a nub on an Iksar and I guarantee you the good player levels far faster.

Another consideration - are the level 50 necros when Kunark drops going to reroll Iksar, or are they going to get to 60 and be the first Necros to get good gear? Is an Iksar necro going to get 60 when Kunark drops before other races that already hit 50? It's all hot air and its a ridiculously tired argument.

In fact Gnome necro is awesome. Cool race/deity combo, cool evil lair within the Gnome city, and gnomevision which is FAR superior to hide. Don't listen to nubs and do what you want. And don't be afraid to call random people on the internet an idiot. The truth is most of them are.

<The A-Team>
Old 11-08-2019, 11:21 AM
Fire Giant

When grouping a similar effect to the Iksar regen can be obtained by spells, armour etc anyway. Its great you can have it from the start and always up but as the above person said it wont make someone better.

It will at best help a mana inefficient necro do more dmg and an efficient player be as good as they possibly can.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:23 AM
Fire Giant

Despite the fashionquest of dark elf...iksar is really too good to bother with any other race imo.
Closed Thread