Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 10-15-2022, 08:21 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Thinking of dipping my toe

So the other day a guy I like to watch named Josh Strife Hayes played some EQ1, and Project 1999 came up a few times but the thought of it got the nostalgia bug biting me, so I came in here to peek at things.

I did play EQ long long ago, but only for a short time, as it was when I was able to visit my mother and step-dad about a month or so a year. This was in about 2003ish? I have fond memories of seeing every starting city, really fat ogres, and falling off of Kelethin about every five minutes.

So that said, I am looking in to seeing how things are now that I have a brain that can actually parse what to do and how things work.

Currently I play tons of things, mostly FF14, no other MMO type game at the moment. I couldn't say I'd be someone to log on every day for hours a day, but couple times a week for an hour or three is more likely.

I like RP/immersive gameplay, but I'm not sure if there's a group of folks who like that around these parts, but that would be cool to know.

As for playstyle, I like utility usefulness. So Wizard ports do be looking like something I'd love doing for people. The close second is Necromancer just because I love Necromancy thematically. I also just like casters.

High Elf for the W, Dark Elf for the N, but this would most likely be pushed gently into if there *is* an RP scene where that tends to gravitate.

Anyway sorry for the wall of text, but any sort of advice about that kind of thing would be greatly appreciated.

~Quiz
Old 10-16-2022, 06:30 AM
Sarnak

Hey, welcome.

Necro is a strong choice because it's very self-sufficient but if you're interested in being useful to others I recommend Druid, it has a lot more utility than a Wizard. I think either class is a good choice for a fresh start.
Old 10-16-2022, 07:12 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I recommend Druid, it has a lot more utility than a Wizard
Ah, while true as I saw Druid does give a lot of nice things and whatnot, I'm not much the healer type. It kinda stresses me out, even if it's probably not as hectic as I imagine.

I've been bouncing Magician around in my head, as well. I'm also not *opposed* to melee but I understand that's fairly hard for fresh blood when it comes to money and equipment.
Old 10-16-2022, 09:16 AM
Sarnak

I can't vouch for much RP I see on the server but I just think the game is a blast, plain and simple. And I believe spoil's right about druid over wizard. A druid can get along with many different play styles and tactics but wizard seems mostly like rotating spells for DPS any moment you aren't porting
Old 10-16-2022, 09:40 AM
Banned

There's not really a huge RP community here, but I've run into a few people who do.

Necromancer is a good choice. They don't require a lot of gear to be powerful, the have a good amount of utility and are incredibly self-reliant. They were certainly made as a "soloing class". But Necros also have the ability to heal and give mana to others, so they're group friendly as well.

I didn't play Live back in 1999 for long either. But this is still the best MMO out there imo. It's just...older. So if you come into it expecting it to show its age, you'll be fine.

There also aren't a ton of quests like modern MMOs. You got your early level "Turn item in for Exp" repeatables and then late game hard quests.

For the most part.

I think the key difference between Classic EQ on P99 and other MMOs are: different classes are relied upon for services, that it forces others to be social and need you and vice versa.

Also, grouping is such a great experience, because the gameplay essentially has you and 5 others holding down a particular spot in a dungeon, killing mobs for long extended time. The pacing isn't so fast that you don't have time to get to know your groupmates.

It's the exact opposite of queuing up for a WoW dungeon and then having the silent tank just blaze through the whole thing in under a minute.
Old 10-16-2022, 11:03 PM
Planar Protector

It’s the best MMO

If you like MMOs just try it and learn the ropes it’s free er without being like uhh that space game. It’s not that contrived you just figure out how to make the best of the world that’s in front of you using your knowledge and power
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 10-17-2022, 03:33 AM
Planar Protector

This server is real life.
Old 10-17-2022, 11:44 PM
Sarnak

Wizard is great BUT you will see a lot, and I mean a lot, of downtime. Otherwise, killing a mob in 30seconds versus a melee taking several minutes feels good.
Old 10-18-2022, 01:54 AM
Planar Protector

I like to occasionally do some soft RP. Most people don't know how to handle it, but I still have fun with it.
Old 10-18-2022, 03:01 AM
Banned

I like Josh Strife Hayes, especially his worst MMO ever series