Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 12:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by salimoneus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
IMO this server spends way too much time and energy on the end gamers and all their demands and bickering and drama in general.
That's EQ in a nutshell there really. Started with Fear/Hate after original release, accelerated thru Kunark, opened the throttle wide and hit the ramp at Velious, jumped the shark with Luclin and never looked back. It's :classic:, sadly.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:23 PM
Planar Protector

It is not unreasonable to appeal to your biggest fans which are those accelerating to the highest levels.

I do actually think that classic should get more credit for having great content for lower levels. There are great dungeons for every level, but many of them are unpopular b/c they are largely very dangerous requiring good crowd control without significant xp mods. Find some pals and go adventure in upper guk, cazic thule, sol A, droga, dalnir, blackburrow, kedge, permafrost, paw, runeye or kaesora. Many of these zones are often empty and can be a blast to crawl through with a group.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supaskillz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It is not unreasonable to appeal to your biggest fans which are those accelerating to the highest levels.
:shrug:

It's an argument that's easy to make and easy to understand. That didn't/doesn't make the result any more appealing to casual players. It didn't keep my friends playing back in the day. From a casual perspective, you can resign yourself to making alts (back in the day you could start over on another server to avoid the temptation to twink), or you can give in and become an ant in some raid army, or you can abandon your connection to the game as designed and immerse yourself in RP.

Don't get me wrong, btw. I've raided a fair bit here on p99, which I never did on live, and enjoyed it.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:50 PM
Large Bat

As a recently arrived former EQ player I was wondering if this means there will be no chance of a new Blue server being created ? Unfortunately for myself I became aware of P99 well after the chance to relive EQ release has well and truly passed.

I had heard mention of a new server that would merged with the existing P99 blue once caught up, one would think that's a no go now however considering recent events.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grivyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As a recently arrived former EQ player I was wondering if this means there will be no chance of a new Blue server being created ? Unfortunately for myself I became aware of P99 well after the chance to relive EQ release has well and truly passed.

I had heard mention of a new server that would merged with the existing P99 blue once caught up, one would think that's a no go now however considering recent events.
There are plans to one day have a new server with classic timeline, but I suspect this is still a long way off. I wouldn't shy away from the server b/c you missed the start, there at lot of new players and you should be able to enjoy the glorious grind with others who are also chasing those cracked staves from decaying skellies.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:32 AM
Large Bat

So does this have any effect on plans to release further content? This news is rather anticlimactic for me since i grew tired of 2 expansions after about 4 months. I haven't been on p99 in a good while and probably won't unless enough content is actually released to fix the massive log jam you have going on at the high end.

I've wanted to ask for a while what server in EQ during the classic era had 12 guilds fighting over the same raid content.Of course the answer to that is "none of them did".
Old 05-14-2015, 12:12 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarLord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So does this have any effect on plans to release further content? This news is rather anticlimactic for me since i grew tired of 2 expansions after about 4 months. I haven't been on p99 in a good while and probably won't unless enough content is actually released to fix the massive log jam you have going on at the high end.

I've wanted to ask for a while what server in EQ during the classic era had 12 guilds fighting over the same raid content.Of course the answer to that is "none of them did".
It's impossible to truly relive the classic era of EQ. Simply put, we're all more knowledgeable about the game as a whole. Gone are the days of hailing each and every NPC, finding quests, not knowing what is out there, and generally discovering the game in its birth.

Were there 12 guilds competing in Kunark? That's a good question. It's fair to say the answer is probably no, but this is a far different circumstance. Kunark has been on P99 for far longer than it was ever on Live. Velious game into Live, what... 1 year after Kunark? Something like that?

Comparing P99 to back-in-the-day Live just isn't very fair.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:16 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarLord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Yes the state of the current server is not optimal, otherwise they would not be going to the lengths they have been to "fix" things using guild tiers, loot rationing, faux instancing, etc. No it's not very classic but it is what it is for understandable reasons, the primary one being very limited volunteer resources working to get a release out the door while maintaining the existing system, which takes a lot of time.

I don't know if things will really improve when Velious drops, not sure if anyone does, but it won't fix the core of the problem, which is the large number of high level extremely well geared toons from years of farming.

There will indeed be a new blue progression server, likely some months after the release of Velious on the current server since I'm sure they will be busy enough maintaining that for a while. It has been stated that Velious is the end of the road for Project 1999, as far as we know there will never be an SoL, and thank *insert your God here if applicable* for that because it was the beginning of the end for truly Classic EQ.

If you ask me, people have actually been playing on the beta server all along without realizing it. The game experience won't be truly classic until the timeline mirrors classic, and that won't happen until all the development efforts are done and the progression server comes out. IMO that's going to be the first real classic experience up through Velious being offered by P99. Until then, thanks to everyone for your testing efforts [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

EQFriends Consolidation Tool - consolidate all your friends
Auction/Logfile Notifier - logfile watcher with text/email notification
Old 05-16-2015, 05:00 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldan4 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm so happy for you guys that have run P1999 for so long. Having vellious pushed back is a very small price to pay for getting a WRITTEN agreement from people at daybreak. It must have been INCREADIBLE stress for you guys to have had to work under knowing that at anytime a lawsuit could have been dropped in your lap, or a declalration for you to shut down having all of your work and time go right down the drain. Gratz on moving to more legit and less stress state.
Do you really think if the SOE had any legal basis for a lawsuit that it wouldn't had started it already? Seriously?
This server steals quite an amount of potential cash from SOE and owners of p99 are idiots for agreeing to this...
Old 05-17-2015, 02:15 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulcan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do you really think if the SOE had any legal basis for a lawsuit that it wouldn't had started it already? Seriously?
This server steals quite an amount of potential cash from SOE and owners of p99 are idiots for agreeing to this...
How so?

1) I hadn't played EverQuest for YEARS before I discovered P1999. If P1999 were to disappear tonight, I would not be back on EQ Live. I'm sure 99% of the player base is the same.

2) EverQuest Live is a free-to-play game with a cash shop. P1999 has no cash shop. Are you thinking that players will not only flock back to EQ Live, but also start buying cosmetic fluff? (Hence the "potential cash" loss you are talking about)

3) A Progression server is not a Classic server. They're not competing products.
I played on an EQ Live Progression server before, it ended badly. The Progression server eventually merged with my regular server and erased over 200,000 Plat in my shared bank. Their "support" said there was no record of me ever having that money, so I must be a scammer. Which in turn changed my desire to return to EQ Live to absolute zero - See Point #1.

Daybreak would gain nothing by putting legal muscle on P1999. It certainly wouldn't cause players, who quit EQ Live years before P1999 even existed, to come back to EQ Live.

One of the reasons SoE lost a lot of their playerbase is because they loved to troll their own customers. People remember that stuff. Don't forget, SoE also had an awesome chance to bring back a lot of old players when EverQuest went free-to-play, and they completely blew it with the overly restricted 'free membership'. Which they fixed too little too late, that massive wave of returning players was gone by then.

Daybreak is a new company, so I honestly hope they don't repeat the mistakes of SoE and wish them all the luck in the world with the EverQuest franchise.
Closed Thread