Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 05:53 PM
Aviak

Wow. A lot of conflicting advise. I think I am more confused then when I first asked the question. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-26-2015, 06:28 PM
Planar Protector

Missed notes are not as bad as they may seem. With spellcasters, a fizzle costs mana and wastes some time (fizzles are not instant). A missed note happens instantly and obviously does not waste mana. You can restart the song right away and the worst that will happen is a song drops for a second or two while you get things going again. Imagine it could be really annoying with low dexterity, but keep in mind that all bard races start with highish dex. Lowest is 85 if you're human. Plus there is always dex on bard gear. There's a lot of str and cha, too. Not so much sta.

And 100hp is definitely not insignificant at level 60. Honestly to me it's such a no-brainer that I'm surprised there are differing opinions at all.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wow. A lot of conflicting advise. I think I am more confused then when I first asked the question. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some people play raid bards, others solo, and some mainly group.

You're getting different advice based on the situation. On a raid, 100 HP could save you a wort pot burn when getting AEed. 100 hp difference in a group probably doesn't matter too much.

Cha will make you get less early charm breaks and less critical lull resists. That probably isn't that useful in a raid situation since when would you ever be lulling or charming as a bard at a raid?

With all things with EQ, it depends...
Old 04-27-2015, 06:10 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanderklocke [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some people play raid bards, others solo, and some mainly group.

You're getting different advice based on the situation. On a raid, 100 HP could save you a wort pot burn when getting AEed. 100 hp difference in a group probably doesn't matter too much.

Cha will make you get less early charm breaks and less critical lull resists. That probably isn't that useful in a raid situation since when would you ever be lulling or charming as a bard at a raid?

With all things with EQ, it depends...
Oh ok. Well Im sort of a "It's not the destination, but the journey" kind of guy. I don't really see a lot of raiding in my future. It has never really been my thing. So for someone who will do a lot of solo play and not going to raid, then CHA is king?
Old 04-27-2015, 10:51 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh ok. Well Im sort of a "It's not the destination, but the journey" kind of guy. I don't really see a lot of raiding in my future. It has never really been my thing. So for someone who will do a lot of solo play and not going to raid, then CHA is king?
If you're AOE kiting you probably won't lull/charm *that* much either. STA would probably be more helpful so you get a slightly larger margin of error if you screw up your kite.

If you're mainly going to group I would think CHA/DEX would be most useful so your lull/charm/mez resist less and you miss fewer notes in your twisting rotations. Alternatively STR is nice for melee DPS and encumbrance.

I plan to mainly group with my HE Bard with some AOE Kiting mixed in, and I went for +15 CHA and +10 DEX as my starting stats.

I do wish my STR was better though, I can't carry anything with my bronze armor on. If I did it again (I'm not one for re-rolling based on just starting stats) I'd probably do like +10 STR, +10 CHA, +5 DEX.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:23 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I did 10 STR and 15 STA on my bard and never regretted it. I mostly solo and group. The 10 STR is less about adding melee damage and more about not getting encumbered because you looted a research page from something you killed. It really helps with being able to actually carry loot while wearing plate early on. As for the STA, as others have mentioned in this thread HP is king no matter if you are solo/grouped/raiding.

I have never had a problem with charm breaks or more importantly crit lull fails so i dont regret not putting points into Dex/Cha. Bards also get a ton of Dex and Cha from gear so it isnt really an issue.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:38 PM
Sarnak

Dex so you miss less notes. Then str so you're not encumbered constantly. sta HP increase is minimal, and the effect of charisma is unnoticable.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:58 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saludeen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
sta HP increase is minimal
Putting 25 points into Stamina yields 100hp at level 60.

Imagine getting an extra ring slot to wear another Djarns Amethyst Ring. Rolling full stamina is better than that, and stamina is notoriously hard to cap. You don't make effective choices in this game if you think a bonus 100hp is no big deal.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:09 PM
Sarnak

100 hp is a single hit from mobs at 60. Not missing notes is more valuable than being able to take 1 extra hit in my opinion. HP is like RAM where eventually it becomes redundant as long as healers can cover the damage, with the exception of tanks who need a large pool for bigger spikes, or non-healing classes in solo pvp. If DEX is easily capped at 60 then maybe STA is better so the points aren't wasted though.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:56 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saludeen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
100 hp is a single hit from mobs at 60. Not missing notes is more valuable than being able to take 1 extra hit in my opinion. HP is like RAM where eventually it becomes redundant as long as healers can cover the damage, with the exception of tanks who need a large pool for bigger spikes, or non-healing classes in solo pvp. If DEX is easily capped at 60 then maybe STA is better so the points aren't wasted though.
If your attitude is that 100 hp isn't a big deal, you're not just going to end up 100 hp short of someone who knows that hp is king.
Closed Thread