Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 09:14 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to trist4n Send a message via AIM to trist4n Send a message via Yahoo to trist4n
Default 7K to spend on a paladin to make a big impact, what should I buy?

I've already got my paladin fairly well geared. He's a dwarf with the following items:
  • Full set of plate
  • 2x 4ac 4hp rings
  • Crested MM Shield
  • Sword of the Morning | Nagavant blade (or whatever it is, the cheap but decent 2hs)

My question to you is, how should I spend I spend 7k on this char to make a big impact? With that in mind, I am nervous to buy an FBSS right now because I am thinking they are going to drop in value big time once Vel comes out. Thoughts?
Old 07-14-2015, 09:33 AM
Planar Protector

AC/HP items, your job is to stay alive. I wouldn't worry too much about haste atm, since you will be keeping your aggro in groups via spells.

You can get all DW pieces (minus BP and legs) for about 1800-2k. Thats 95 AC. Thats 43 AC more if you replaced the plate pieces with the DW.

Swap out the Crested Shield for a Clay Guardian, 25AC + 50HP for around 500pp.

Pick up a couple Diamondine Earrings (although the price of these may change when Velious is released).

Other than that, go to the wiki and search equipment by class. You can filter through the items by stat, makes things easymode
Old 07-14-2015, 09:44 AM
Planar Protector

I suggest against Diamondine Earrings, wait 3 weeks and get Orc Fang.

Also, consider 5/55 HP rings. Possible to wait for 6/65 rings but those are going to be like 500pp each instead of the 250 the 5/55s go for.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:54 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I suggest against Diamondine Earrings, wait 3 weeks and get Orc Fang.

Also, consider 5/55 HP rings. Possible to wait for 6/65 rings but those are going to be like 500pp each instead of the 250 the 5/55s go for.
I agree on the earrings, there just isn't a lot of options in his price range. Perhaps just grab a couple Platinum Bloodstone Earrings for ~300pp until Velious is released.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:59 AM
Kobold

Wear two Brass earrings for the next few weeks, you'll never notice a difference.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:55 AM
Planar Protector

If you ever solo, you want that haste. If you *only* group, you can live without it.

Most Deepwater pieces are in the 500P range, essentially just above their vendor price. Get a DW helm and bracer, at least--you'll want those two pieces even in Velious and they're not going to get much cheaper since under about 400P folks will just vendor them instead. Stick with the 4/45 rings until either the 5/55 rings plummet or you upgrade to 6/65 rings. Stick with crap ear slots or nothing until Orc Fang. If you don't figure on raiding much you won't go wrong buying a Sarnak Battle Shield. For non-raiders that thing's hard to replace even in Velious.

Otherwise, if you can already do the job you want to do, just sit on the rest of the cash until Velious has been open for a bit. If it's burning a hole in your pocket, buying a jboot MQ might not be a bad option to consider.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 07-14-2015 at 12:00 PM..
Old 07-14-2015, 12:29 PM
Planar Protector

Not much on the low end that you can pick up that will make a huge difference.

I'd hold off on the SotM until your damage cap is increase at L10. Until then stick with a faster weapon, even a sword of sky fire will perform better up to that point and you can just sell it when you are done. If you are already past L10 then you can ignore this section.

I'd grab a baton of faith for once your Dmg cap is lifted for solo also and a ghoulbane for 20's when it starts proccing, because it is fun.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:32 PM
Sarnak

You have 7k and no listed haste item...that makes FBSS a no brainer.

Haste > all other stats for a melee, even a paladin.

Despite your nervousness, I can't believe anyone is not urging the haste item. Haste is CRITICAL. It is the single most definitive item/stat in EQ. People solo faster with haste, get more group exp, and raiding success is virtually defined by the haste levels of the raid members. There's a reason that big guilds continue to be interested in dragons - to keep the haste flowing into them and not into others who might potentially catch up.

7k spent elsewhere will have a small fraction of the impact on your ability that haste does.

FBSS will not drop significantly in velious imo. Less people will farm them as they are farming elsewhere in velious so the supply will still be less than the demand.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:52 PM
Fire Giant

price will drop on fbss once silver chitin hand wraps start being sold. but the price wont drop fast and will probably still stay in the 4k range minimum down the track.

invest in haste now if you are playing now. if you are not playing until velious then wait
Old 07-15-2015, 12:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by williestargell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You have 7k and no listed haste item...that makes FBSS a no brainer.

Haste > all other stats for a melee, even a paladin.

Despite your nervousness, I can't believe anyone is not urging the haste item. Haste is CRITICAL. It is the single most definitive item/stat in EQ. People solo faster with haste, get more group exp, and raiding success is virtually defined by the haste levels of the raid members. There's a reason that big guilds continue to be interested in dragons - to keep the haste flowing into them and not into others who might potentially catch up.

7k spent elsewhere will have a small fraction of the impact on your ability that haste does.

FBSS will not drop significantly in velious imo. Less people will farm them as they are farming elsewhere in velious so the supply will still be less than the demand.
I agree Willie. God knows a Pally needs all the damn help they can get with DPS. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread