Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 09:55 PM
Fire Giant

I just hope they never go back to realistic graphics on EQ. If i found a wizard in the woods that said, "I can take you to another world that is magical and full of adventure, with the snap of my fingers." I wouldnt want to go from realistic real life graphics to more realistic real life graphics. I like old EQ graphics, they are magical and actually feel like a video games. Another reason why WOW graphics are ok, because they look cartoony. Which is related to my opinions on super advanced hard class builds. I think WOW has its place in life, but if i want the feel of skilled warrior and advanced graphics I'd play an FPS or an RTS. No offense to those who like that.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:20 PM
Planar Protector

I've been guilded with people in their 20's for whom P99 was their introduction to EQ, and this was on blue before green drew in this fresh interest in the project. EQ has something that's greater than the sum of its parts, which is why this thread even exists 20 years later.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:41 AM
Orc

Yes and No.

EQ was my first 3d MMO and a complete game changer at the time. I was one of those kids who could never settle on a class. I must have rerolled every single character type at some point and never got one past level 40.

I used to love GFay and Crushbone. On P1999 I tried a Wood Elf Druid and Rogue, loved it but got bored. I think I've done too much Gfay.

Just rerolled (did I say I "used" to be one of those who always rerolled?) an Iksar Monk and absolutely loving it. Brand new experience for me, totally different part of the world.

So for me it's part nostalgia, and part doing all the stuff I never got around to doing on live.
Old 08-23-2020, 06:11 AM
Large Rat

My first MMO was WoW in 2005, played until 2008 when Warhammer Online came out, after that died in 2012ish I stopped playing mmos. Was always aware of EverQuest, but never knew much about or played it. P99 has been my first taste of the game, so it certainly isn't nostalgia that draws me here.
Old 08-23-2020, 01:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilwizard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
nostalgia is all that this game has.

new players don't exist, because this shit is hot fucking garbage.
Tbis is really funny in an ironic way. Only an idiot would think this is hot garbage, but most people are idiots
Old 09-13-2020, 10:11 AM
Large Rat

The problem isnt that the game requires Nostalgia. The problem is....he has no other mmo experience besides .......WOW. If you want him to try a Everquest experience similar to classic Everquest but with a lot of quality of life improvements he would appreciate you should try to play with him on Aradune. That is one of the latest retail TLP which is currently in Kunark with Velious opening in a 2 and half months...It will cost a sub but thats meeting him halfway i think
Old 09-17-2020, 12:08 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgunben [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Back in 1999 there weren’t any other MMOs on the market
Both Ultima Online and Meridian 59 pre-date Everquest, while even in their "heyday" never achieved the following that EQ has.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:12 PM
Planar Protector

Ive actually "recruited" 8 RL buds to P99, but only 2 of those stayed for a while, and those two had played it during classic live. The new recruits fell off pretty quickly. So yeah, I think nostalgia plays a part for sure, but I know there are fresh blood coming into P99 aswell. The game is good, but not for everyone
Old 09-18-2020, 01:46 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywulf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Both Ultima Online and Meridian 59 pre-date Everquest, while even in their "heyday" never achieved the following that EQ has.
Also worth mentioning the Korean game Lineage which was extremely popular and had some unique PvP mechanics for its time.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:52 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDAm0nk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also worth mentioning the Korean game Lineage which was extremely popular and had some unique PvP mechanics for its time.
I played Lineage 2 for a short time, can't remember much but liked it for the most part. Seemed like there was a new mmo every other week pre-wow, and I tried playing most of em. But something always brings me back to classic EQ. Maybe it's partly nostalgia. However, the same effect wasn't reached whilst playing wow vanilla on a private server. Something was always "missing" with that game, not really sure how else to put it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread