Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Resolved Issues

Old 02-14-2022, 02:20 PM
Planar Protector

Default Mannan of the Sabertooth / Socho Darkpaw

Searched the forums for either of these two named Blackburrow spawns and camped the green room, which they were said to spawn at back in classic, with no results (blue server). Neither appear to be different from elite gnolls in terms of level, loot, or anything else beyond their names and spawn rate. It seems to be another case of an incomplete quest or the original developers giving players false hope in terms of loot. Details are included below, including at least one screenshot of Mannan.

Missing NPC: Mannan of the Sabertooth

https://comenthaus.tripod.com/EverQuest/id51.htm
Quote:
AS YOU CAN SEE THIS IS MANNAN OF THE SABERTOOTH
https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=5265

Quote:
Mannan of the Sabertooth

Rare spawn.

Placeholder is: an elite gnoll guard
This mob spawns at 264, -126, -33. Spawns in a room with Elite Gnoll Guards in the Green room in Blackburrow, as a very rare spawn.

Minimum Level: 13
Maximum Level: 16

Expansion: Original
NPC Added: 0000-00-00 00:00:00
NPC Last Updated: 2019-07-16 18:32:38
Known Loot:
Gnoll Fang
Onyx Earring
Rusty Spiked Shoulderpads
Turquoise
Quote:
loot
#Nov 15 2001 at 7:19 AMRating: Default
Anonymous
Anonymous
dropped gnoll fang and rusty spiked shoulderpads 3ac 5str -10svMg, War Clr Pal Rng Shd Dru Mnk Brd Rog Shm, All races
Quote:
#Anonymous, Posted: Nov 06 2001 at 11:06 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) This guy really isnt tough. Ive soloed him at 12 nad killed him with ease.He can sometimes drrop some goood loot and he really isnt rare at alll!
Quote:
This stupid gnoll
#Sep 07 2001 at 7:39 PMRating: Default
__DEL__1620606238987
Scholar
40 posts
By the Gods ppl. Mannon and his kindred have been spawning in BB for the longest time!!
I myself have killed them on numurous occasions. and everytime i run through bb, i look to see if anyones camping the green room. If not, the room is toasted for spell practice(and a few silver) even when i was but a young girl, I killed them. So for the record. they have spawned in the green room since forever.

Balinia Pathtaker
Druid of the 35th season
Inny server
Quote:
Hes there..
#Aug 11 2001 at 10:27 PMRating: Default
Anonymous
Anonymous
I was in the snake pit near the green room, when a half elf jerk pulled a huge train of elites, a commanders, and a couple guardsmans.. I looked closely, and sure enough, the mannon of the sabretooth was there.. Taking a chance, i attacked him. I had a group so it wasn't hard. he jumped out of the trains, and attacked me. The train went on following the elf. He hit kinda hard, but conned black to me. He dropped a spiked girdle, no idea if its rare or not. I asked somoene, and they said it was VERY rare... Lucky me [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Mrjoltman
Monk of the 16th season
Talen Zek
Quote:
#Anonymous, Posted: Aug 02 2001 at 11:10 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) never heard of this guy...
He exists...period
#Jul 19 2001 at 7:37 PMRating: Default
__DEL__1591764068958
3 posts
I just logged out of EQ about 20 minutes ago, and today in BB i killed this guy. He's about lvl 17 or so, well he's blue to me at 20 lets just put it that way. he's simple melee, nothing fancy just another guard, same a socho, i killed him also today. Just for people that cant seem find...look harder

Drezzt 20th season ranger
-Tholuxe Paells-
Quote:
He's not a quest
#Jul 18 2001 at 11:02 AMRating: Default
Anonymous
Anonymous
Socho and Mannan DO exist They are simply named gnolls in Blackburrow . Nothing more. They were implemented at about the same time as the Splitpaws were. Mannan does drop the rusty spiked shoulderpads as well does the commanders,and the gnoll high shaman.

Casaria Peacecraft 31 cleric Quellious
Quote:
Silly named gnoll
#Jul 05 2001 at 11:17 AMRating: Default
__DEL__1593965850278
14 posts
I've been camping the green room a lot lately, since the commander's room is always taken. He's spawned three or four times for me, as well as socho. I still haven't looted a single item from them, and they have yet to give me more than 9 copper pieces. I'm starting to hate them for it.
Quote:
mannan
#Jun 22 2001 at 4:36 PMRating: Default
Anonymous
Anonymous
killed him to day took me like 10 seconds not to hard sept for he ran like a coward droped a tooth and a rawhide tunic
Quote:
Thoughts
#Jun 20 2001 at 1:05 PMRating: Default
__DEL__1591750106032
Scholar
221 posts
Well, after bringing several characters up in BB, and PLg many others there, I can say that Mannan is MOST LIKELY a recent additon, Rare or no. Killed him once and had pretty plain loot. Just my thoughts...
Quote:
The Mannan Loot
#Jun 05 2001 at 8:20 PMRating: Good
Anonymous
Anonymous
I was wandering the alleys of Blackburrow, when I stumbled across this gnoll-thing in the room next to an Elite Gnoll Guard.

Curious, as I had never seen this creature before, I approached and hailed him in his native language, though my skill is lacking sorely. He ignored me at first, then, apparently apalled that I would dare approach him, he frenzied to attack me.

I dispatched him, although it took nearly ten minutes to do so, and searched for a sign of who he might have been. I found no identifying items on him, save these:
1 Bloodstone Ring
1 +2Agi earring (Onyx)
1 Gnoll Fang
1 Rusty Weapon
1 Belt (i believe it offered 3 AC and little else).

I was disappointed he would not speak with me. Perhaps my reputation is spreading throughout blackburrow even farther.

-Gelani Lifebringer
Priestess of Rodcet Nife
24th Circle of Mysteries
Quote:
Twice in the past week
#May 30 2001 at 1:35 AMRating: Default
Anonymous
Anonymous
My level 16 Ranger has twice picked up this guy on 'track' while camping the Elite Ledge...He does indeed exist and is thriving, at least on Torvonnilous [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
Killed him today
#May 15 2001 at 12:30 AMRating: Good
Anonymous
Anonymous
This guy is indeed rare, I have camped the Green Room for weeks and only seen him once. But he is no harder than a regular Elite gnoll. He drops crud for loot too. The only thing I can see is that he has a unique name.
Quote:
New named gnolls and drops
#Mar 02 2001 at 10:10 PMRating: Good
Anonymous
Anonymous
I believe these "new" named gnolls (Socho and Mannan) will eventually frop low level quest items. The quest and the drops just haven't been implemented yet. I camped here for about 2 hours killing all the gnolls I could while helping a lower level ranger out. I saw Mannan twice and Socho once. They both dropped nothing decent much to my dissapointment but seem to be a little higher than the elites and shamans.
Quote:
#Anonymous, Posted: Dec 01 2000 at 8:03 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) So he is useless
And he drops something
#Feb 20 2001 at 10:26 AMRating: Default
Anonymous
Anonymous
If you had asked me, I would not have said he is rare, as it says above. I've poked my nose into the Green Room twice with my current character, and Mannan was there both times. So chance made him appear to me to be a common spawn.

My little group killed him the second time -- someone else had him the first time -- and he dropped an onyx earring. So it would appear that he drops a variety of higher-gnoll loot, but maybe not as much as we would like.

Seems like a lot of trouble for Verant to put this guy in the game if he has no purpose other than to fill a spawn spot. I'll bet that a current quest will turn out to use him some way, or a future quest will involve him. On the other hand, maybe someone at VI had some time on his hands, didn't want to spend it foolishly (like fixing bugs), and came up with ol' Mantooth here.
Quote:
RE: And he drops nothing
#Jan 12 2001 at 7:53 PMRating: Default
Anonymous
Anonymous
Killed him about 10 times.
One time he dropped rusty spiked shoulderpads
the ac 3 5 str ones
Quote:
RE: And he drops nothing
#Jan 19 2001 at 12:50 PMRating: Default
Anonymous
Anonymous
Dropped a Copper Band for our group. Woopeetwa.
Quote:
ha
#Nov 02 2000 at 1:27 PMRating: Sub-Default
Anonymous
Anonymous
Killed him like 4 days ago, not much on him that time.

https://web.archive.org/web/20001119154100/http://everlore.com:80/bestiary

Quote:
Mannan of the Sabertooth

[Original Image] Image #1 Image #2
Beast Name:
Mannan of the Sabertooth
Known Level Range:
15 / 20

Quest Related: No
Magic Caster: No
Faction Hits:
The usual Black Burrow

faction hits
Loot:
same as commanders

Description
I was in blackburrow last night right after the patch and was killing things ( i am lvl 35 and i was bored). i went to green room and there was this baddy, so i killed him thinking something good would loot, but nadda. Hits for around 22. He is not that common ( spawned twice in like 4-5 hours).Not sure on lvl, was green with around 4-500 hp
Submitted by: Auedaar
https://web.archive.org/web/20010727....asp?id=245996

Quote:
Submited by: Reelron On: 9/21/2000 9:39:50 AM Rank: worst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 best
First of all i was really suprised when I saw this named gnoll and as previous post I killed him (green to me at lvl 19), he took some heavy beating using root and Smithe.
No fun drop though, a few gold.
Submited by: Silaik Cloudwalker On: 10/17/2000 10:06:56 PM Rank: worst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 best
This guy was kinda tough even to my lvl 20 bsrb shaman, hit pretty hard and I got good xp off him. He dropped a pair of raw-hide boots and a silver stud earing and 5 gold not very good loot for a named gnoll.
Submited by: Silaik Cloudwalker On: 10/18/2000 8:41:11 PM Rank: worst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 best
Oh and before I forget, special thanks to Kriegor for taking out the 4 elite gnoll guards in the room so I could get that Image #1 shot and take him out [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.])
Quote:
Submited by: Solean On: 10/20/2000 6:03:09 PM Rank: worst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 best
I'm Solean of Druzzil Ro and I saw 1 that was yellow to me as a lvl 12 magician in the green room. Send me e-mails of times to group and were I'll resopnd.
Quote:
I HONOR YOU ALL!
Submited by: Adapax On: 11/23/2000 6:35:35 PM Rank: worst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 best
I was in Blackburrow today with a lvl 12 ranger and a 14 druid. I hide and sneaked into the green room to check on the spawn. I saw the Splitpaw commander, three elites, and this bad boy. We had the druid cast harmony then started the attack. We decided to take out Mannan first. He was yellow to me at 12 and I think white to the 14. I started off with the backstab and we were on our way (even with 3 elites jumpoing us). Loot was all right. Onyx earring (+2 stamina), rusty short sword, and some cloth. I had hoped for more, I guess, but the earring could bring my AGI up to 139, so why complain.

Adapax
Legitimate Businessman of the 12th Fiscal Year
Quote:
Submited by: Baneden On: 11/28/2000 8:27:20 PM Rank: worst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 best
i saw this guy twice a little while ago he was low blue to a lvl 16 (like lvl 14) and he is just as powerful as an elite. drops crap for a named ANYTHING and i think that this gnoll should actually drop something good not just a couple gold and the usual Onyx Earings and raw-Hide things!

Baneden Swiftblade
Barabarian Warrior of the 41st Blade
Quote:
"Human Retribution"
Submited by: Sizzumeian 18th ench On: 12/8/2000 5:49:47 PM Rank: worst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 best
I was camping the green room alone and getting kinda bored when this guy poped along with a commander and two elites at once (almost at once the elites poped while I was fighting I guess)they were all blue but this guy dished out some pretty good hits (24-30) before I could take him down. I don't want to say that they were easy becuse between the commander and him I woulda been creamed pretty well without all the buffs my pet and I had.
No loot What-so-ever which was kinda a let down but still good xp
P.S PvP rocks
Quote:
Submited by: Tzunami Deathwind On: 1/2/2001 2:01:40 PM Rank: worst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 best
Just killed this guy today. He dropped some coin, a copper amulet (nothing
special about it) and a Rusty Spiked Shoulderpad
. It is ac3, +5str, -10 magic
resistance. Gotta love that strength bonus but the MR penalty is a little too
large for my liking

Missing NPC: Socho Darkpaw

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=5179

Quote:
Socho
#Aug 29 2001 at 7:16 AMRating: Default
Anonymous
Anonymous
He spawned twice on me while i was killing all the higher level spawns working on Burning Rapier quest.. He died like a dog. dropped gnoll fang and malachite.

-Incogneto-
24th level rogue
Prexus server
Quote:
Loot
#Aug 10 2001 at 5:49 PMRating: Default
Anonymous
Anonymous
Loot is the same as on a commander
Quote:
RE: Why kill?
#Aug 09 2001 at 7:51 PMRating: Default
Anonymous
Anonymous
He drops onyx earring
Quote:
RE: thats funny
#Jul 19 2001 at 7:41 PMRating: Decent
__DEL__1591764068958
3 posts
He does exist...well at least on Tholux Paells not sure on Talon, qeynos doesn't seem to like my iksar necro on Talon for some reason [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
just FYI he's out there...the truth is out there. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Drezzt 20th season ranger
-Tholuxe Paells-
Quote:
Spawn point
#Oct 07 2000 at 5:50 PMRating: Good
Anonymous
Anonymous
in elite room(ie green room, com room, large com room)
Old 05-18-2022, 06:04 PM
Project Manager

Fixed, pending update

The only question I have about this is whether or not they existed since launch, or were added in 2000 like this one comment suggests:
Quote:
Socho and Mannan DO exist They are simply named gnolls in Blackburrow . Nothing more. They were implemented at about the same time as the Splitpaws were.
The way it is now, they spawn from day 1. If further evidence is found either way, let me know!
Old 07-12-2023, 12:09 AM
Planar Protector

For what it is worth I killed Mannan of the Sabertooth just now on live, still spawns.

Level: 13
Total HP: 375 (forgot to check if he was buffed, there was a gnoll shaman in the room)
Loot:
Raw-Hide Leggings
Turquoise
Blackburrow Gnoll Pelt
Gnoll Fang
9 Silver and 8 Copper

Standard engage message for gnolls, no death message.

Forgot to sit to check his max hit :-/