Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 12:31 AM
Fire Giant

It's one of my issues with the series. In his zeal to break the good guys always win trope, GRRM made the Starks too stupid to be believable.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:17 AM
Planar Protector

Saw the Game of Thrones live concert experience tonight, lol. It was pretty fucking badass, more so than I had expected. The music was awesome and they put on a pretty cool stage show too.

Will try to post whatever pics/vids me and my gf got if anyone cares. They showed a few stills from season 7 production towards the end that I found pretty interesting.
Blueberrii - 60 Mage
Gigglepurr - 60 Shaman
Kids - 60 Rogue
Fornfamnad - 60 Cleric
Old 03-08-2017, 12:43 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AenorVZ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's one of my issues with the series. In his zeal to break the good guys always win trope, GRRM made the Starks too stupid to be believable.
I mean, you say that, but I have some severely dumb friends that could easily rival Ned & Cat in their stupidity.

Sirken's Twitch Stream - www.twitch.tv/sirken_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Accusing me of simultaneous favoritism for two opposing guilds involves a special kind of stupid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
going after sirken is like going to a cheerleader convention and punching the only one that bothered to talk to you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post
I've met Sirken IRL.. he ain't jelly of shit

Old 03-08-2017, 12:44 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasslehofp99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Saw the Game of Thrones live concert experience tonight, lol. It was pretty fucking badass, more so than I had expected. The music was awesome and they put on a pretty cool stage show too.

Will try to post whatever pics/vids me and my gf got if anyone cares. They showed a few stills from season 7 production towards the end that I found pretty interesting.
was it just songs from the show's soundtrack? or, what all were they playing?

Quote:
Accusing me of simultaneous favoritism for two opposing guilds involves a special kind of stupid
Quote:
going after sirken is like going to a cheerleader convention and punching the only one that bothered to talk to you
Quote:

Old 03-08-2017, 12:45 PM
VIP / Contributor

also - https://youtu.be/SjX1K6GeRa4

video on Jim Broadbent talking about his role on GoT this season [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Old 03-08-2017, 03:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AenorVZ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ned was an honorable soldier. I agree that Ned and Cat symbolize the idyllic world (simplified Tolkien-esque) that Martin wanted to kill, but Ned didn't have enough time to learn how to maneuver in KL. I mean honestly, who wouldn't lose a game of 4D chess to Baelish? Ned fucked up when he didn't listen to Renly, but Sansa ultimately fucked him by talking to Cersei. Ned's soldier's honor got him, but he'll always be my favorite (<3 Sean Bean). Plus, I don't think he ever understood what colossal pieces of shit he was dealing with. I don't think that's bad writing on martin's end.

The best part about the Stark family is that Arya is the most ruthless character in the books and she's gonna fuck some people up. Where the fuck are the winds of winter

I'm gonna start my 4th reread here soon. Even talking about this I love hating Jaime in book 1 and then being like wow this guy isn't such a dick after all. That said, I'm assuming you've read the books more than once and yeah, on a re-read the stupidity of the Starks is painful. Honestly though, Jon's decision making is the dumbest IMO. Run the watch like a dictator and force people to kill you because they believe you're destroying their life's work without even taking the time to explain it to them. Great job Jon!
Old 03-08-2017, 04:45 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriam1066 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm gonna start my 4th reread here soon. Even talking about this I love hating Jaime in book 1 and then being like wow this guy isn't such a dick after all.
Jaime's character arc is one of my favorite aspects of the series. From general douche bag, Kingslayer and child-crippler, to being one of the most redeeming characters in the entire series based purely on character development. And I think you could see there was some goodness in him even in book 1, because he's always been the only Lannister that has ever had any empathy for Tyrion.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:05 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriam1066 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ned was an honorable soldier. I agree that Ned and Cat symbolize the idyllic world (simplified Tolkien-esque) that Martin wanted to kill, but Ned didn't have enough time to learn how to maneuver in KL. I mean honestly, who wouldn't lose a game of 4D chess to Baelish? Ned fucked up when he didn't listen to Renly, but Sansa ultimately fucked him by talking to Cersei. Ned's soldier's honor got him, but he'll always be my favorite (<3 Sean Bean). Plus, I don't think he ever understood what colossal pieces of shit he was dealing with. I don't think that's bad writing on martin's end.

The best part about the Stark family is that Arya is the most ruthless character in the books and she's gonna fuck some people up. Where the fuck are the winds of winter

I'm gonna start my 4th reread here soon. Even talking about this I love hating Jaime in book 1 and then being like wow this guy isn't such a dick after all. That said, I'm assuming you've read the books more than once and yeah, on a re-read the stupidity of the Starks is painful. Honestly though, Jon's decision making is the dumbest IMO. Run the watch like a dictator and force people to kill you because they believe you're destroying their life's work without even taking the time to explain it to them. Great job Jon!
honorable yes, but also dumb. To add to what you said, surely I don't blame Ned. Nothing in his life could have prepared him for dealing in KL. But he regardless, he still made poor decisions and should have realized how over his head he was, or realized how bad of a position he was in. I think it was great writing, I just think Ned was an idiot and Cat was the worst. but both are wonderfully well written characters.

Arya is fun, but i just don't see how she goes back to living a normal life as a Stark girl. I dont expect her to die, but im not convinced she will just resume her expected role in society as a daughter of Winterfell and live happily ever after.

for extra fun, try a linear re-read, make things a little bit more interesting when you are reading the chapters chronologically versus how they are presented to us in the books [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Old 03-08-2017, 09:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
was it just songs from the show's soundtrack? or, what all were they playing?
Songs from the show's soundtrack with some other songs that (I think) were just inspired by the show. There was a pretty dope stage show as well set to the music. Overall, was definitely worth the 40$ and train fare to go check out. Their presentation of the red wedding was pretty cool.

I didn't end up getting much video/pictures on my phone but my gf did so when she posts it up somewhere I'll try to remember to link it here.
Blueberrii - 60 Mage
Gigglepurr - 60 Shaman
Kids - 60 Rogue
Fornfamnad - 60 Cleric
Old 03-10-2017, 01:04 AM
Fire Giant

Ah but are your dumb friends tragically noble, Sirken?

And yes Pat, it bothered me more on subsequent re-reads. I think I had blocked out the trauma of how absurd Jon's decisions are at the end ... thanks for reminding me!
Closed Thread