Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 05:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by quido [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's really a practice thing too, if that isn't obvious. When you drink more, you can drink more. I drink like eight beers a month now and it's pretty nice being able to feel it after one. If I have more than three I feel like hell. I used to be able to drink twice as much comfortably when I drank more regularly.
this is very true, but as far as hangovers go, i think its more of a "well this is just how I feel now" for the heavy drinker..

like, me? when I get a hangover im like EW I HATE THIS and pout.. but htats becuse I dont drink all the time

but for like my dad. he drinks all the fucking time, so for him its like, "welp this is life."

+ he comes from a generation of a lot less pussies than my gen.. my gen is like I like nintendo, merp.

Like he works for a living, i fucking reddit.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:50 PM
Planar Protector

Red face

^ lol some good social commentary there.

Nintendo merp is possibly the next biggest economic threat to national security?

The Pentagon did release a report on aspergers being a major threat to national security, next up is a study on Nintendo merps and the necessity of banning certain games ala China.

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Old 03-24-2016, 06:17 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Apparently a man has been arrested in the U.K for inciting racial hatred with the following tweet [TRIGGER WARNING]:

Source

Hope this shitbag is hit with the full force of the law. This kind of deplorable activity has no place in our society.

Swish,

Could explain this situation?
Not that I'm defending his arrest but the source is quite clear on the fact that there were more than 1 tweets.

Also, people really need to stop making references to 1984. Not even North Korea is as fucked as the world in 1984. The comparisons are always superficial and/or misapplied.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-24-2016, 06:24 PM
Planar Protector

Some of the comparisons are actually quite profound regarding 1984. Nobody is saying the world is the same here as it is in the book, but the whole perpetual war thing is pretty damn applicable.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by quido [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some of the comparisons are actually quite profound regarding 1984. Nobody is saying the world is the same here as it is in the book, but the whole perpetual war thing is pretty damn applicable.

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Old 03-24-2016, 06:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by iruinedyourday [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Most countries don't have the same speech laws america has. Arguably if you look at the state of our nation, being the most powerful but having the worst in the quality of life compared to any other developed democratic nation.. they might be onto something.

FYI just becuse you CAN shoot your own foot off as a joke with a shotgun drunk at a party, that doesn't mean it necessarily makes your quality of life better.
This coming from someone who constantly calls people FAGS. IRYD's hypocrisy is throat deep and I'm sure something else is too. Lol
Old 03-24-2016, 06:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzzarTheGod [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ehhh bit misleading considering America has the largest criminal justice system with many millions on probation...add mass incarceration and mass probation into the equation and it evens up the "free speech" America "has".

On probation you can get handed your full sentence just for talking to someone who complained you were rude to them. Your P.O. can violate you at any time, and for non-criminal offenses. "Your honor, hes being an asshole...give him 6 months" happens in Boston.

You can be brought before a judge for ANY REASON while on probation, even being annoying, and have your probation revoked. Still have friends that are P.O.'s Seen it happen 100 times.
This mass incarceration argument is fucking ridiculous. The shit these criminals do in the U.S. Would get them executed without a Trial in countries like Russia, China, NKorea, or any Middle East shit hole besides Israel and the Euro nations are paralyzed with fear to handle criminals in any substantial way and most crime in these so called 1st world democratic societies go unsolved and the perpetrators are never pursued.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzers [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This coming from someone who constantly calls people FAGS. IRYD's hypocrisy is throat deep and I'm sure something else is too. Lol
oh no, namecalling. better call the SPLC!
Old 03-24-2016, 06:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by iruinedyourday [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
this is very true, but as far as hangovers go, i think its more of a "well this is just how I feel now" for the heavy drinker..

like, me? when I get a hangover im like EW I HATE THIS and pout.. but htats becuse I dont drink all the time

but for like my dad. he drinks all the fucking time, so for him its like, "welp this is life."

+ he comes from a generation of a lot less pussies than my gen.. my gen is like I like nintendo, merp.

Like he works for a living, i fucking reddit.
I knew you were an unemployed parasite.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:52 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Who do you think they're profound? I've always found the comparisons to be lazy. It's not an obscure book and the book is not vague about its allusions (that's not a criticism by the way). I don't see any depth in refering to a dystopian novel. "It's like what happens in that book". That's what the comparisons amount to for me. That doesn't make them untrue of course but I don't understand why you'd think they were profound. Curious to hear why.

I think the perpetual war comparison you're bringing forth is actually a great example of why I think most comparisons are superficial and misapplied.

George Orwell actually explicitly states that the wars that came before "The Party" came into power were a different beast all together. Sure, 1984 was written in the 20th century but I don't think our wars have changed and George Orwell would include the 21th century wars in the pre-The Party era.
It's not about the frequency. Adding more war wouldn't bring us any closer to what George Orwell was referring to.
The 'perpetual war' was a type of war that had never occurred before in history. It had no end in sight by design. This war was never meant to be won. Some ground would be 'won' and 'lost' within a specific area like the tie coming in and going out but no more than that. There was an unspoken 'agreement' between the governments of Oceania, Eurasia and Eastasia to ensure that it never ended. The war itself was simply a means to an end. It was a way to have an enemy. It was a way to justify shortages. You've read it, it's very explicitly laid out.

The wars that are fought in our world may not always be honestly represented but they are always intended to be won. They can be a means to an end but they end and are intended to. There are no unspoken 'agreements'.

There might perpetually be wars but that is not even close to being a 'perpetual war' in the sense that Orwell was talking about.
Closed Thread