Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 01:17 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On blue, the 10/18 and 14/24 weapon choices make it faster to melee down something that dot dot dot. I tested with two 10/18's, 34% haste, vs a walrus skin drum. not really that close. recover time is higher, but if you're doing a static spawn spot or two, thats not relevant, only how fast you down it and get the timer going.
So yes, on green, triple dot is faster, so you would. Not on blue with a 2.3 mod drum, at any rate. Reminder: bard dots do 2/3 dmg if target is moving, like anybody else's.
Great. Something to look forward to on green.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:40 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On blue, the 10/18 and 14/24 weapon choices make it faster to melee down something that dot dot dot. I tested with two 10/18's, 34% haste, vs a walrus skin drum. not really that close. recover time is higher, but if you're doing a static spawn spot or two, thats not relevant, only how fast you down it and get the timer going.
So yes, on green, triple dot is faster, so you would. Not on blue with a 2.3 mod drum, at any rate. Reminder: bard dots do 2/3 dmg if target is moving, like anybody else's.
Bards should be charming while loading up both mobs with dots. Melee is pitiful.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:43 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bards should be charming while loading up both mobs with dots. Melee is pitiful.
On Green I believe this is because Bards are on a crappier melee table than they are on Blue. Their melee parse table got changed either in Kunark or Velious.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:06 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On Green I believe this is because Bards are on a crappier melee table than they are on Blue. Their melee parse table got changed either in Kunark or Velious.
It got changed as of Chardok 2.0, the last patch in the timeline. Adron was also using near rather excellent droppable weapons / haste and comparing against a mediocre drum. Also, it didn't sound like fear was used to do full dot damage. That being said, the comparison is valid for blue at this point in the timeline assuming you just want to kill a single spawn as fast as possible (a somewhat contrived situation).

Nonetheless, charm kiting is just fundamentally more powerful than meleeing. Mobs deal way way more damage, and you get to kill two (or more even) mobs at the same time. This is true on green and blue.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Fear kiting negates this, for example a 46 bard using 3 drum dots snare and fear can kill all 12 BG goblins before repops one at a time, the damage output is greater than splurt and completely mana free to give you idea. If you really wanna be a masochist - buy or farm drums of the beast and lute of the howler, you can swap instrument in for your primary weapon right before tic lands then right back. The most fun thing to do however is equip a dwarven two handed axe go /role and War LFG
Old 07-09-2020, 09:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm kind of set in my ways because the Bard is classified as a Melee class, and wears plate and dual wields. To me, that screams melee, face tank, and big DPS, not a pseudocaster with crappy DPS and mitigation disguised behind plate. I played a Combat Bard in EQOA, and that's exactly how they were, big time melee DPS with nice group support via songs, and okay HP. If something is classified as a Melee class, to me, that means it's meant to beat on things.
Well here on P99 bards are not what you remember them as.

You're being overly stubborn...for what? So you can kill 1 mob every 6 mins and burn out before hitting level 45?

The closest thing you can get to what you're looking for is a Ranger. Their melee damage isn't the greatest but you'll have that support feel with their buffs, pulling utility, etc.

Bards are without a doubt the toughest class to play well. I don't want to be the bad guy here, but your attitude / approach towards the game is going to severely limit your enjoyment of playing the bard class.
Last edited by kjs86z; 07-09-2020 at 09:45 AM..
Old 07-09-2020, 11:43 AM
Planar Protector

You guys are making me not want to play Bard at this rate. I wanted to play it like a Hybrid. Beat things to death with a bit of support magic on the side.

But if that's not gonna fly, then I may as well go Ranger like I was originally planning. The gear I have put aside will fit the Ranger as well, only the weapons will differ: Lamentation x2 and Talisen, Bow of the Trailblazer.

Actually, I've got a full set of Crystal Chitin now, so that would probably go to the Ranger instead, and my Paladin would go back to using his old crap until I start filling it in with Thurgadin gear.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:20 PM
Kobold

I’m not trying to be a storm cloud of negativity, just sharing firsthand experience so you can know what you’re in for. Based on you having a Paladin for a main, and wanting to “beat things to death with a bit of support magic on the side” you’re basically looking at either Shadow Knight or Ranger. Ranger will dish out much more damage, and should scratch your itch for dual wielding, double attacking, and gearing for melee damage.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:38 PM
Sarnak

I mean Bard seems to be far more on the "caster" side of the hybrid equation than the "melee" side. I think you may be too narrow on what "hybrid" means.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:39 PM
Fire Giant

I've always liked to think of my bard as an enchanter that gets to wear plate armor and dual wield swords, that always helped whenever I felt inadequate fighting stuff. I also like to think of him as more of a Bladesinger than a bard, but that's just the RP in me talking.