Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 09:59 AM
Orc

Thanks for all these comments folks, that's exactly the sort of feedback I was hoping for.

To clarify, yes my 24/7 weapon is an Ebony Bladed Sword. The other, the 22/6 one is a Silverish Scimitar. For late-teens/early 20s it seems to be an effective combo even though I'm not getting the first one's proc yet.

I'm a bit surprised that a 2HB which I could plausibly afford would out-damage that combo, I must be misunderstanding the math there. But I'll keep an eye out for one and will try it if the opportunity arises.

When soloing I've been experimenting with using both weapons versus using the Shiny Brass Shield. E.g. I cleared a couple sets of the Nybright Sisters each way, did some Crushbone Legos each way, etc. The outcomes thus far are not hugely different though it does seem as if I do maybe a bit better using the two weapons. My dual wield skill is now in the 80s and yes I did notice the thing where I got skill-ups even when using the shield, heh.

The fact that the shield is a decent light source factors in a bit. Wood elf vision is just okay and I personally find game-nighttime EQing to be more pleasant with the shield on. The little light-source spell that rangers get at lvl 15 is lame.

For grouping, at these levels my role in the group varies. Sometimes I'm asked to tank, other times to DPS/off-tank. (Which is fine, variety of experiences is one reason I'm enjoying playing a ranger and I'm more of an EQ tourist than an aspiring endgame raider.) Seems obvious that in groups I should use the shield when face tanking and the two weapons when not....what makes it viable to be carrying them all is that a few levels ago I lucked into a Box of Abu Kar. (Some high level folks were going around Faydwer killing guards and left a box to rot and called it out in /ooc.)

====
Spotswood, level 17 Ranger on Green
Last edited by Chinetter; 05-16-2020 at 10:02 AM..
Old 05-17-2020, 01:49 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by formallydickman [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And correct me if I'm wrong, but the basic calculation when comparing weapons is (bonus dmg + (wep dmg*2)) / delay right? So the melee bonus isn't actually making it a 7/22 more like a 6.5/22.
A followup question: which bonus damage is that referring to? What is the source or cause of the bonus damage that is referenced there in that formula?
Old 05-17-2020, 10:22 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinetter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A followup question: which bonus damage is that referring to? What is the source or cause of the bonus damage that is referenced there in that formula?
Main hand damage bonus. It's 1 pt at level 28 and adds a point every 3 levels.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 05-17-2020, 11:37 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinetter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
https://wiki.project1999.com/Game_Me...s#Melee_damage

here you go. this will be handy to have.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:26 PM
Orc

Very nice, thanks.

What's driving me nuts right now is trying to farm the micro servers for the Trueshot quest. Have killed dozens of rogue clockworks in Steamfont without getting a single micro server drop. Is there anyplace else in the game to get that component??
Old 05-17-2020, 03:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Very nice, thanks.

What's driving me nuts right now is trying to farm the micro servers for the Trueshot quest. Have killed dozens of rogue clockworks in Steamfont without getting a single micro server drop. Is there anyplace else in the game to get that component??
That's the only place. And this is the easy part. Getting fletching high enough to have a reasonable chance at succeeding the Trueshot combine is the tedious/expensive part.

Spoiler: Unless you have a hard-on for doing the Trueshot quest on your own, buying one is probably a lot cheaper than levelling up fletching.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 05-17-2020, 04:25 PM
Sarnak

Haven't seen anybody mention keeping your weapons skills up. I would put a 1hb or pierce in the offhand just to keep those skills leveled up to. Keeps your options open.

Zipps - 51 HLF Druid <Castle>
Lykosor - 49 DE Necro <Castle>
Aspom - 12 HEF Ranger <Castle>
Slyng - 31 HEF Bard <Castle>
Flecrad - 21 DE Enchanter <Castle>
Lykos - 43 HIE Mage <Castle>
Ribkage - 17 GNM Boneknight <Castle>
Old 05-17-2020, 06:50 PM
Sarnak

Runaways drop the servos as well. Maybe kill some of those too. One seems to drop them more than the other from my experience.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:

I'm a bit surprised that a 2HB which I could plausibly afford would out-damage that combo, I must be misunderstanding the math there. But I'll keep an eye out for one and will try it if the opportunity arises.
The 2h does well in that range compared to dual wield because at low dual wield skill the offhand attack doesnt happen very often. So just getting meaty 2h swings will do more until that offhand starts landing more regularly.

Also, there is a nodrop 2h with 6 str from the undead in Kithicor that you can get for free as a rot if people are there killing during the night cycle. 0 plat is a nice price.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:47 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by YendorLootmonkey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's the only place. And this is the easy part. Getting fletching high enough to have a reasonable chance at succeeding the Trueshot combine is the tedious/expensive part.

Spoiler: Unless you have a hard-on for doing the Trueshot quest on your own, buying one is probably a lot cheaper than levelling up fletching.
This is true. ive seen trueshot bows in EC for 150-200p.