Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 09:03 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh rogean told you what he pays?
did rogean tell anyone this?
Old 01-24-2022, 09:17 PM
Banned

No you god damn dunces, of course I don't know what he pays. It might be substantial, I literally have no idea.

I was saying that the mental and emotional costs of running this god damn shit show might be a far higher tax than some bill. You guys are humans right?
Old 01-24-2022, 09:20 PM
Planar Protector

Saying it doesn't cost a lot to run a game server with 1000+ people on it is silly.

Let's strong man the argument and say his power/internet bill is not much higher than the average person, lets say 2x as expensive due to computers running 24/7 and the requirement of running a high speed internet service.

Those are not the only costs that go in to maintaining the server. They cost a lot of time to manage if don't want frequent outages. The fact that these servers are so consistent on their up time is pretty impressive.

Who is monitoring the servers to ensure there isn't a problem when the server manager wants to go out on a date with their wife, or on vacation? Either you are paying someone else to monitor it, or you are watching it yourself, which means you aren't really enjoying that date or that vacation.

Whenever hardware goes bad someone has to go out, buy the parts, fix the computer, and make sure everything is ok.

Also, the Dev's are not just keeping the server up, they are actively developing new code and watching for cheaters/RMTers. That also takes a lot of time out of your day if you do it semi-frequently.

Managing a server, even one that is relatively small like P99, isn't easy, unless you don't mind there being tons of problems and spotty coverage. If the Devs were like that, however, P99 would have died years ago.

There is a reason why Amazon Web Services is so popular. Most people prefer someone else to handle all of the headaches that go in to server management. But of course you could be paying quite a lot on AWS based on usage.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-24-2022 at 09:23 PM..
Old 01-24-2022, 09:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is a reason why Amazon Web Services is so popular. Most people prefer someone else to handle all of the headaches that go in to server management. But of course you could be paying quite a lot on AWS based on usage.
This is true, but Rogean does it "old school", without AWS or any other cloud provider: he actually used to post pics (back in the days when he posted) of the P99 servers themselves.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooloo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No you god damn dunces, of course I don't know what he pays. It might be substantial, I literally have no idea.

I was saying that the mental and emotional costs of running this god damn shit show might be a far higher tax than some bill. You guys are humans right?
Oh so I guess you have no idea about the monetary cost then
Old 01-25-2022, 02:05 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah dead end game will never happen. I mean look what’s happening on Green, it’s the same hardcore raiders from Blue doing the same raids on two different servers. When you’re locked through two expansions the top guilds never move on to newer targets
I'm certain it must be lucrative. As in measured in real dollars.

It's usually at this point that I normally suspect even the people that own the servers of real money trading when I hear something like this.
Old 01-25-2022, 02:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is true, but Rogean does it "old school", without AWS or any other cloud provider: he actually used to post pics (back in the days when he posted) of the P99 servers themselves.
Interesting, did you save any of the photos or wiki link?

https://twitter.com/vharron/status/970753675386765313
Old 01-25-2022, 02:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh yes, I understand that P99 is done the old school way, which is much more difficult to maintain. I simply brought up AWS because it's existence is proof of the difficulty of handling your own server. If it was so easy to do it yourself, AWS wouldn't be that popular.
Old 01-25-2022, 05:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake1981 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Interesting, did you save any of the photos or wiki link?

https://twitter.com/vharron/status/970753675386765313
If you wade through all the posts Rogean ever has made, you should find one with the photos of the server ... but I'm too lazy to do that (and given the weakness of this forum's search feature, I think you'll have to wade through them all to find it).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midfrost [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm certain it must be lucrative. As in measured in real dollars.

It's usually at this point that I normally suspect even the people that own the servers of real money trading when I hear something like this.
I don’t think you realize that this is what these people find fun. It’s not about RMT. They literally have fun by making sure their guild is the top guild and our competes the others.
Closed Thread