Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Old 12-27-2021, 07:57 PM
Aviak

Unhappy Unswerving (Useless?) Hammer of Faith.

So I hit level 54 on my cleric a little while ago and got my new spells. One that I thought my be interesting was Unswerving Hammer of Faith, since from the description in the wiki it seemed like it was some kind of pet. Neat! I wondered how strong it might be or what level it even is? I waited until I was 55 to test it out though, because I'm lazy.. but now is the time!

So I scribed it, memorized it, and then cast it.. and it promptly died. Before I even had a chance to target it.

Strange.. okay, well the wiki says that it lasts as long as its opponent does, so maybe I need to target something? Let's try it out!

I rooted an icky old dar ghoul knight, backed off and cast the spell, and then watched my new pet rush forward to do battle! ..only to die on the first hit. And it didn't even get a single swing of its own in first.. what the heck!?

Okay, my new pet is literally a one hit point wonder.. am I supposed to tank for my pet, then? That seems backwards! But I suppose I can try it out.

I attacked another dar ghoul knight, fighting it face to face this time, and cast my (slow as heck) pet.. Loner appeared by my side! To battle!

Ow.. Okay, taking stock post battle.. my valiant pet did 461 points of damage to the foul ghoul before he was slain by a simple riposte.. while in the mean time I took over 850 points of damage from face tanking something that was more than ten levels below me. Those 461 points of damage cost me 600 points of mana, which is.. bad. For comparison, 600 points of mana will buy me over 1500 points of direct damage with my normal undead nukes, especially the nifty new one I've gotten at 55.

Plus I had to heal myself afterward, which I wouldn't have had to do if I hadn't been tanking for my pet.. who did /con dark blue to me, at least. Though his max hit was only 38 damage, which seems pretty pathetic for a pet received at level 54.

For another point of comparison, a shaman wandered by not long after with his own pet in tow. He too fought a dar ghoul knight. Said shaman as able to easily face tank his slowed opponent, while his pet nipped at its undead heels. Said green /con pet hit far harder than my own had, topping out at 47 points of damage per bite.

So, to recap. 600 mana to cast my fragile pet, who managed to deal a measly 460 points of damage before dying pathetically. 600 mana, which would have bought me far, far more damage if spent on nukes. 600 mana, which is equal to one and a half complete heals.. is there ever, ever a situation where this "pet" is useful? Not even in groups, as even assuming I managed to summon the pet facing a mob's back so it wouldn't die to ripostes, groups typically churn through mobs fast enough that I may as well spend the mana on a nuke instead, since the pet seems to evaporate if not aggrod on something. Or spend that mana on healing the tank, as a cleric should be doing anyway. Arg!
Old 12-27-2021, 08:12 PM
Kobold

Get a reclaim energy clicky. Take the mana back before the mob dies.
Magician Focus Items

Keeping Ice of Velious off the streets of Norrath
Old 12-28-2021, 01:34 PM
Planar Protector

The cleric hammer pet is never required. Beyond whimsy, it does have value as a supplemental damage source in low-damage duos or trios. As a rule it should be used in conjunction with a reclaim energy click. Think of it not as a conventional pet but as a damage over time spell for niche usage that, when used appropriately, can return its mana.

Danth
Old 12-29-2021, 01:30 PM
Planar Protector

The only time I've seen a cleric use this spell is in PoG on the 1 million hp focusers.
Old 01-07-2022, 07:35 PM
Sarnak

I had a cleric use one in a duo in KC basement. Seemed like it was more trouble then it was worth
Old 01-07-2022, 08:33 PM
Planar Protector

• Regarding your pet dying to a riposte, make sure the hammer pet is hitting from behind so the enemy cannot riposte.
• One of its primary uses is to deal at least some damage to magic-immune mobs if you're sitting at full mana or if there are too many clerics and not enough real DPS.
• You can also use it to pull a mob around a corner. I don't know why you would need to, but you can.
Old 01-11-2022, 11:56 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by htabdoolb [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So I hit level 54 on my cleric a little while ago and got my new spells. One that I thought my be interesting was Unswerving Hammer of Faith, since from the description in the wiki it seemed like it was some kind of pet. Neat! I wondered how strong it might be or what level it even is? I waited until I was 55 to test it out though, because I'm lazy.. but now is the time!

So I scribed it, memorized it, and then cast it.. and it promptly died. Before I even had a chance to target it.

Strange.. okay, well the wiki says that it lasts as long as its opponent does, so maybe I need to target something? Let's try it out!

I rooted an icky old dar ghoul knight, backed off and cast the spell, and then watched my new pet rush forward to do battle! ..only to die on the first hit. And it didn't even get a single swing of its own in first.. what the heck!?

Okay, my new pet is literally a one hit point wonder.. am I supposed to tank for my pet, then? That seems backwards! But I suppose I can try it out.

I attacked another dar ghoul knight, fighting it face to face this time, and cast my (slow as heck) pet.. Loner appeared by my side! To battle!

Ow.. Okay, taking stock post battle.. my valiant pet did 461 points of damage to the foul ghoul before he was slain by a simple riposte.. while in the mean time I took over 850 points of damage from face tanking something that was more than ten levels below me. Those 461 points of damage cost me 600 points of mana, which is.. bad. For comparison, 600 points of mana will buy me over 1500 points of direct damage with my normal undead nukes, especially the nifty new one I've gotten at 55.

Plus I had to heal myself afterward, which I wouldn't have had to do if I hadn't been tanking for my pet.. who did /con dark blue to me, at least. Though his max hit was only 38 damage, which seems pretty pathetic for a pet received at level 54.

For another point of comparison, a shaman wandered by not long after with his own pet in tow. He too fought a dar ghoul knight. Said shaman as able to easily face tank his slowed opponent, while his pet nipped at its undead heels. Said green /con pet hit far harder than my own had, topping out at 47 points of damage per bite.

So, to recap. 600 mana to cast my fragile pet, who managed to deal a measly 460 points of damage before dying pathetically. 600 mana, which would have bought me far, far more damage if spent on nukes. 600 mana, which is equal to one and a half complete heals.. is there ever, ever a situation where this "pet" is useful? Not even in groups, as even assuming I managed to summon the pet facing a mob's back so it wouldn't die to ripostes, groups typically churn through mobs fast enough that I may as well spend the mana on a nuke instead, since the pet seems to evaporate if not aggrod on something. Or spend that mana on healing the tank, as a cleric should be doing anyway. Arg!
Wizards have a similar spell. These are useless
Old 02-17-2022, 03:19 PM
Planar Protector

Best thing i can imagine it doing is being a small mana bank eh? Cast it during dwon time have it sit near you and reclaim energy next battle.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 02-17-2022, 03:29 PM
Planar Protector

It's not useless. It's a way to damage for magic-immune or highly resistant mobs that someone else is tanking, when mana permits it. It is indeed a niche spell, useful only in rare circumstances. Examples might include Brother Qwinn, Kromzek Captain, Enraged Golem (Broken Golem).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Best thing i can imagine it doing is being a small mana bank eh? Cast it during dwon time have it sit near you and reclaim energy next battle.
It can't be cast without a target. When you cast it, it immediately attacks your target.
Old 02-17-2022, 05:20 PM
Fire Giant

The Hammer pet can be used for an indefinite amount of time. The hammer pet poofs when the cleric who casted the pet is out of combat. To use efficiently cast the hammer pet once you are in combat, (if soloing make sure you are tanking the mob in melee range of mob while casting) once the pet is summoned, quickly target the pet and give it a mana free clicky HP buff (i believe summoned pet only has 1 hp), this will prevent the pet from dying to an aoe, or riposte if mob turns unexpectantly.

Now if soloing always make sure you got a 2nd mob is on deck rooted in camp. I usually let the 2nd mob hit me a few times while the first mob is dying. When the first mob is about dead you can swap to the second mob and your hammer pet will finish off the first mob and start attacking the second mob when the first dies. rinse repeat.

I have used one pet to clear the entire ldc camp in solb when soloing.

On very long boss fights, I have asked enchanters to haste my pet and it is a very nice damage over time for a cleric.

A side note, on kunark release this pet did not depop. I remember giving it hero, symbol, haste etc, Only a few people had the spell before it was fixed.