Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 12:00 PM
Sarnak

Something to add, the most efficient use of rain spells is to hit more than 1 mob. Rain spells will do 4 waves if its 2+ mobs. If you are only hitting 1 mob you will only get 3 waves.
Old 03-13-2021, 01:35 PM
Fire Giant

https://wiki.project1999.com/Tears_of_Druzzil

Is the most mana efficient spell in the game outside of banes. The key is to ONLY hit one target. Rain spells resist exponentially the more targets they hit. If you really want them to work its vital that you only ever hit one target.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:42 AM
Orc

A few notes about rains. Some have already been said, other have not.
1. The number of targets hit depends on the number of mobs. (a) If there's one target, it will be hit by 3 waves. (b) If there are two targets, they both will be hit by 2 waves, resulting in 4 times to base damage. (c) If there are 3 or more mobs, only 3 mobs will be hit by the rain.
2. A rain spell can not kill a mob and if it's a blowing spell it will not land.
3. You can be hit by your own rain spells, and so in contrast to 2 above, a rain spell can land a death blow ...on you! (Yes, I died to my own rain spell).
4. For the same reason (3) above, rain spells are not good for belly caster mobs, simply because you will hit yourself.

The resist rate seems to be around 20-25%. I've parsed a long log file and on my wizard and these are the numbers I've seen. 67 resists, 213 lands. This is 67/(67+213) which is 23.9%.

Now the numbers. I'm comparing Tears of Prexus, our best wizard rain, at 20% resist rate with Ice Spear of Solist, a super efficient wizard DPM. Ice spear of Solist is rarely resisted on a "regular" non-ice resistant mob.
* Ice Spear of Solist does 1200 damage at 300 mana which is 4 DPM.
* Tears of Prexus does 690 damage per wave at 437 mana.

So for a single target, and taking into account a resist rate of 20% you get a DPM of 690*3/437*.8=3.79 for Tears of Prexus. Still less than Ice Spear of Solisst.

On two targets, and assuming you could orient them next to each other (doable with roots), you get a DMP of 690*4/437*.8=5.05. Notice 2 waves hit 2 targets. This is the only scenario where Tears outdo regular DD that I've found.

HTH,

- Petel
Old 03-29-2021, 10:53 PM
Planar Protector

Layering a rain and a DD properly you can also significantly increase burst for grouping situations. That muddy 20-40% hp range is where a lot of bad things happen, CH and gate, so having a final rain wave land with your big DD can put that issue to rest.

Rains aren’t trustworthy and can be annoying with CC but they sure are fun to gamble with. Hell, you get 3x the vfx per cast!

Note: The resist check stuff is very interesting. Thanks for that. Notable tho a 52 rain vs 60 DD spell should be taken into consideration. It might have uses 8 levels later but likely has lost a lot of its function.
Last edited by Snaggles; 03-29-2021 at 10:58 PM..
Old 03-29-2021, 11:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Layering a rain and a DD properly you can also significantly increase burst for grouping situations. That muddy 20-40% hp range is where a lot of bad things happen, CH and gate, so having a final rain wave land with your big DD can put that issue to rest.
Honestly, the funnest thing being a wizard in mid 50s is being super conservative with mana, just doing a few roots and stuns, to build up a big excess of mana, then on a pull telling the tank “spam aggro” and just spam out 2 rains and a nuke, causing like 5k damage in the space of 11 seconds
Old 05-11-2021, 02:30 PM
Large Bat

Wizzards don't use rains because they should be to busy using pillars and quad kiting. Pillars are rarely resisted and damage 4 targets at time. The best pillar is 950 damage to 4 targets. Agro 4 mobs with your flux staff, group them, snare them and pillar them down. Med up.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:04 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This only seems to happen against higher level mobs though. I never had the issue until I started fighting seafuries (i think spectres kites could be finished off with rains)...
Yeah I was dabbling during farming type raids (arena, plate house, dragon necropolis) but didn’t know about the high resist rate and inability to land a killing blow (what a weird...bug?). I’ve quaffed from 16 to 58 now just need to get over that last hump.
Closed Thread