Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 06:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumora [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What is the standard accepted tip from a lvl 30? That's my main's lvl, and in the past I've always tipped 50p because that's what I heard was expected, but it's too expensive for me, and has actually discouraged me from getting ports because I don't wanna be a cheap ass and make someone angry. I do have need for a lot of ports though. For example, I recently started lvling an Iksar Necromancer, and my main is a 30 ranger. I want to buy some cheap necro gear, but I have no way of safely delivering it without getting a port. I only have about 1.3k on my ranger, and that is the result of a few weeks worth of lvling on mammoths in Everfrost. I obviously can't afford to buy gear, AND throw around 50p every time I need a port.
Just shout/of what you offering or send messages with what you can pay and ask if that ok. If you ask upfront only an extreme jackass will get mad. If they don't respond or respond unhappily, just explain it all you have and you meant no offense and will look elsewhere. Think I only ever had one person respond grumbly, but they still insisted on porting me after I apologized and said I'd look elsewhere ^^
Old 02-10-2017, 06:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumora [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1p per lvl is pretty steep for anyone below lvl 40(giant killing lvl). My necro is lvl 14. He most certainly can't afford 14p for a port. He barely has enough for spells, and that's only because someone was kind enough to give him 50p randomly, otherwise I'd be settling with buying 1 or 2 spells per interval.
Eh, I'd disagree.

Ports are a luxury. There are plenty of items you can farm in low levels that higher level toons will buy off of you (crushbone belts, deathfist belts, bone chips, orc scalps, wisp stones, bear pelts). Most of these can be found very close to various newbie yards. Brand new on this server I think I bankrolled over 1500 pp (full set of small fine steel + 2 pretty good weapons, mm drums, gypsy lute and 2 5hp 55ac rings) before hitting level 18 on my bard from selling these things to other players. Some races/classes and starting areas are better for this than others - but most all newbie zones have things you can farm for plat.

Besides ... where does a level 14 need to be porting around to? 50p starter should have gotten you all the spells you NEED way past level 14. It's a pretty commonly known fact to anyone who has played EQ classically or newly on p99 with little/no resources that you should only buy the spells you intend to actually use on a routine basis.

Ports are a luxury and a convenience. Save a bit of porting cash for when you really need it - and port as infrequently as possible

Running 1-3 zones to get to a new hunting ground is classic.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Last edited by Troxx; 02-10-2017 at 06:40 PM..
Old 02-10-2017, 06:38 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just shout/of what you offering or send messages with what you can pay and ask if that ok. If you ask upfront only an extreme jackass will get mad. If they don't respond or respond unhappily, just explain it all you have and you meant no offense and will look elsewhere. Think I only ever had one person respond grumbly, but they still insisted on porting me after I apologized and said I'd look elsewhere ^^
Yeah, I guess I just don't like shorting the nice druids and wizards who dedicate so much of their time to providing a very much needed service. I wish I had a choice in the matter. Coin was never a problem for me back in the day. While I am enjoying the newbie experience again, the lack of means definitely isn't something I missed lol. But anyway, I guess I don't have much choice than to take your advice.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:42 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Eh, I'd disagree.

Ports are a luxury. There are plenty of items you can farm in low levels that higher level toons will buy off of you (crushbone belts, deathfist belts, bone chips, orc scalps, wisp stones, bear pelts). Most of these can be found very close to various newbie yards. Brand new on this server I think I bankrolled over 1000 pp before hitting level 18 on my bard from selling these things to other players.

Besides ... where does a level 14 need to be porting around to?

Ports are a luxury and a convenience. Save a bit of porting cash for when you really need it - and port as infrequently as possible

Running 1-3 zones to get to a new hunting ground is classic.
You have two choices in this situation. You can either level up at a decent rate, or you can waste hours and hours farming mobs you likely get little or no exp from in order to make enough money to supply a druid or wizard who likely already has so much coin from porting players who actually have plenty enough to tip well that showing a charitable nature to a lowbie shouldn't be a problem. I therefore deem it rather unfair and greedy to demand such a price from a player who clearly lacks in ability to make such a sum without sacrificing extremely large amounts of time that could otherwise be used to level up.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:46 PM
Fire Giant

If you are new to the server, just tell the druid that you are new. The all time best way to get a free port is to run to the druid rings and stay there. If a new player is standing at the rings when I arrive, more times than not Ill port them for free then and there. I do not want new players to give me their only 12pp, I always turn that down.

If you are level 46+, or if you have a level 60 main, and you tip less than 30pp then you are part of the reason why many wiz/dru dont port.

And stop offering 10pp for potg its 1200 mana. Not even close to worth our time at level 60
Last edited by Expediency; 02-10-2017 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: .
Old 02-10-2017, 06:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
You have two choices in this situation. You can either level up at a decent rate, or you can waste hours and hours farming mobs you likely get little or not exp from in order to make enough money to supply a druid or wizard who likely already has so much coin from porting players who actually have plenty enough to tip well that showing a charitable nature to a lowbie shouldn't be a problem.
I made my starting cash while leveling.

Quote:
I therefore seem it rather unfair and greedy to demand such a price from a player who clearly lacks in ability to make such a sum without sacrificing extremely large amounts of time that could otherwise be used to level up.
Devils advocate: is it not unfair and greedy to expect complete strangers to sacrifice their time porting you around?

Porting is a luxury and a convenience. The world doesn't owe you or anybody else anything. Ask around and find a charitable guy to donate their time to you - I'm sure you'll find one.

Otherwise, lace up your hiking boots and hoof it like the baby jesus of classic EQ intended you to.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 02-10-2017, 06:50 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I made my starting cash while leveling.

Devils advocate: is it not unfair and greedy to expect complete strangers to sacrifice their time porting you around?

Porting is a luxury and a convenience. The world doesn't owe you or anybody else anything. Ask around and find a charitable guy to donate their time to you - I'm sure you'll find one.
The big problem is many new players dont just want a free port, they also want you to find them and/or wait around for them to find you. Nothing worse than sitting there 5 minutes while some guy who isnt paying is lost in the forest. I can port you in 20 seconds, its the waiting and hide-and-seek that is the bad part.

If you want a free port, the least you can do is run to the druid rings or wiz spires and wait there. Youll find druids much more charitable when you are standing there ready to go.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:05 PM
Sarnak

I love how everything on this server. Even a "Thank you" post becomes a RnF and QQ'ing endless thread. Keep it up boys. Doing lords work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
It is not a server that allows you to just show up and press the "free loot" button, and it's not a server that rewards you for simply existing.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Yeah, I guess I just don't like shorting the nice druids and wizards who dedicate so much of their time to providing a very much needed service. I wish I had a choice in the matter. Coin was never a problem for me back in the day. While I am enjoying the newbie experience again, the lack of means definitely isn't something I missed lol. But anyway, I guess I don't have much choice than to take your advice.
Well, by refusing to ask, you are denying them the opportunity to express charity, which believe it or not is vitally important to most people. Just ask and if they agree, express your gratitude ^^ 99% of the time they will. If you worried about the. Agreeing when they don't want to, don't. That not your worry to carry ^^
Old 02-10-2017, 07:36 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXIII [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I love how everything on this server. Even a "Thank you" post becomes a RnF and QQ'ing endless thread. Keep it up boys. Doing lords work.
lol amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Most of the people with bad experiences with me hang out in R&F, shocking, looks like I'm doing something right.
Closed Thread