Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 11:48 AM
Planar Protector

Default Dear, anti-afk-check people, how's that AC list?

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I predicted Manastone /list would blow up to 50+ if there were no AFK checks.

And these boots don't ever leave the game.

Sincerely,
Mannastradamus
Old 05-20-2020, 11:59 AM
Planar Protector

Honestly, having been here awhile and having done /list, done player agreement rolls, done "waiting for my turn for a camp", etc. ... AFK checks are almost my least favorite thing in any system. They are not classic EverQuest ... and this is supposed to be a place that celebrates classic EverQuest!

The only good thing about the AFK checks are that they're part of a larger system that discourages monopolization. AFK checks may suck, but they beat the heck out of a few insane nerds hogging certain items to themselves (which did happen on Blue in the past, and undoubtedly would have occurred to legacy item camps without the /list system).

But, as I've said in many other threads, we don't have to just accept a terribly unclassic and not-EverQuest thing (clicking a box every fifteen minutes) to avoid the worse thing (five guys monopolizing a camp). There are third (and fourth, and fifth, and ...) options.

Each one requires custom programming work by the staff, so I understand them not wanting to try a million systems ... but ultimately I do hope they can find a way to make a "/list 2.0" someday.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 05-20-2020 at 12:02 PM..
Old 05-20-2020, 12:46 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly, having been here awhile and having done /list, done player agreement rolls, done "waiting for my turn for a camp", etc. ... AFK checks are almost my least favorite thing in any system. They are not classic EverQuest ... and this is supposed to be a place that celebrates classic EverQuest!

The only good thing about the AFK checks are that they're part of a larger system that discourages monopolization. AFK checks may suck, but they beat the heck out of a few insane nerds hogging certain items to themselves (which did happen on Blue in the past, and undoubtedly would have occurred to legacy item camps without the /list system).

But, as I've said in many other threads, we don't have to just accept a terribly unclassic and not-EverQuest thing (clicking a box every fifteen minutes) to avoid the worse thing (five guys monopolizing a camp). There are third (and fourth, and fifth, and ...) options.

Each one requires custom programming work by the staff, so I understand them not wanting to try a million systems ... but ultimately I do hope they can find a way to make a "/list 2.0" someday.
I agree let's celebrate the classic Everquest experience!

What are your recommendations for addressing the non classic experience of solo level 50s monopolizing classic experience group camps?
Old 05-20-2020, 12:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosilk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What are your recommendations for addressing the non classic experience of solo level 50s monopolizing classic experience group camps?
My recommendation would be to understand that re-creating classic EQ is a sisyphean task: the staff will never 100% succeed at rolling that boulder to the top of that hill.

The aim here is not to re-create 1999-2001 exactly, it's to re-create 1999-2001 as closely as possible in 2020.

As such, some things (like player distributions among popular camps ... and indeed the very proportions of levels: live was never as top-heavy as this place) are always going to be unclassic. I'd suggest we accept that, live with it, and advocate for changes that can realistically make things more classic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Something something, strength to accept the things we can't change, something something.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 05-20-2020 at 01:00 PM..
Old 05-20-2020, 01:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My recommendation would be to understand that re-creating classic EQ is a sisyphean task: the staff will never 100% succeed at rolling that boulder to the top of that hill.

The aim here is not to re-create 1999-2001 exactly, it's to re-create 1999-2001 as closely as possible in 2020.

As such, some things (like player distributions among popular camps ... and indeed the very proportions of levels: live was never as top-heavy as this place) are always going to be unclassic. I'd suggest we accept that, live with it, and advocate for changes that can realistically make things more classic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Something something, strength to accept the things we can't change, something something.
all that said i would donate $10 to this project occasinally even tho i really dont play a lot here and mostly post

pixels are unimportant its nice to know p99 exists and when p99 dies a big part of me will die to - this is probably closer to how the devs feel but one day they will need to hit the beach or pass p99 on to their kids, that'll be interesting, i bet it will happen

or some new birth of some new game will come from all this
Old 05-20-2020, 01:16 PM
Sarnak

Quote:

Good response. Do you have any recommendations for what we should be advocating for that can realistically make things more of the classic experience?
Old 05-20-2020, 01:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosilk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Good response. Do you have any recommendations for what we should be advocating for that can realistically make things more of the classic experience?
I'm a big believer in the future of "automated GMing" on P99. /list could be only the first step, and I'd love to see further iterations of it. But at the same time, the staff only implemented /list for three mobs, and only on Green. My theory is that they only "dipped their toes in the water" because they're concerned that "the cure could be worse than the disease" (ie. they don't want to inadvertently make things less classic). Their problem isn't "what are some ideas to make things more classic?", it's "how do we not screw things up by trying to improve them?" Classic mechanics vs. classic environment is a difficult balancing act.

When we in the forum discuss ideas, I see it as a sort of "proving ground": a chance for flaws in ideas to be discovered (we all love to find flaws in each other's arguments [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]). So personally I see threads like this, where people suggest ideas, and other people tear them down, as part of a healthy cycle for the server. I imagine Rogean and Nilbog quietly watching, and seeing which ideas can't be torn apart. In other words, I imagine these discussions give them another way to weigh whether a potential change will make the server more or less classic.

But automated GMing is just one thing. Another example would be the recent clicky nerf. Now look: people have been begging for Soulfire to be Paladin-only for years, and R&N waited until recently to make it so, so one could argue all that forum pleading was for nothing. But I don't see it that way: I instead imagine they waited so long because they were hesitant to make "unclassic" (mechanically) changes ... but then finally made the change because the consistent forum feedback finally gave them the confidence to decide that "non-Paladins clicking Soulfires for CHes is not classic EQ".

So really I'd just recommend everyone suggest any ideas they can for trying to make the server the way we all remember it being back in 1999-2001, and when you hear an idea someone else has that you think would make things better, speak up. Haters will tear holes in your idea, but that's good (in a "survival of the fittest idea" way). If you can make the idea work even with criticism (and get others to buy into it) ... well I won't lie: it's extremely unlikely that Rogean or Nilbog will respond to your post and say "you're right, you've convinced me, I'll make _____ change!"

But even if they never say a word, I truly think simply having such conversations does help give the staff useful information that can help them decide what will truly make this place more classic.

Last edited by loramin; 05-20-2020 at 02:00 PM..
Old 05-20-2020, 12:07 PM
Planar Protector

it should be pretty easy for a computer to click gthe 'ok' buttons in fact 1 computer could handle like 10 afk checks by just routing commands around

what is really strange to me is why people invest the effort in botting at all, especially on servers where they aren't welcome when there are so many servers that allow massive levels of automation

yet they come to p99 and try to get away with unattended gameplay lol

idk..

PVP is the solution FFA no level limit, just leave it at that, let anyone kill anyone anywhere anytime anyway they want including exp deaths and trains

delete all blue servers
Last edited by magnetaress; 05-20-2020 at 12:10 PM..
Old 05-20-2020, 12:11 PM
Planar Protector

it's immoral to take an item from another player or hurt a mob another player wants

basically u should be a collective with a hive mentality, thats what "the real good guilds" like Ghxst and Seal Team Six are anyway

very uncreative gameplay peoples
Old 05-20-2020, 12:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
it's immoral to take an item from another player or hurt a mob another player wants
I think looking at people playing EQ as a morality issue (when it's not something like RMT that threatens this place's very existence) is the wrong way to look at it.

EQ is a system. People in that system will do what they need to do get their dopamine (pixels). The staff can and should make that system work however they want: they're putting all the time and money in, so there is no "morality" involved. It's just a question of "what do the people who make this place want?", and as long as people are playing the game the staff wanted to make it's "good".

But they've made one thing crystal clear: "what they want" is classic EverQuest. I just believe a "/list 2.0" system could achieve something closer to their goal ... ie. closer to classic .

Last edited by loramin; 05-20-2020 at 12:19 PM..
Closed Thread