Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 07:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radalas [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For those who are shocked at the price of 2 - 4pp per port, that was the going donation back in the days everyone paid, and I began the game pre kunark, early year 2000. Ran large raids, ran a guild. Was very active. I do have some reference as to what I am talking about and not just spouting nonsense. Perhaps it was a unique situation in Saryarn server tho....

And if the open market price on blue/green is going to be 1pp per level or however it ends up being, then that's all fine and great. I'm all for open market. All I will say is two things.

- I've paid 2 plat for ports with a variety of porters in the short time I have spent to make to lvl11 and no one has complained to me yet and I've had repeated porters porting me.

- As a new character, it is unrealistic for me to be able to afford ports at that high a price AND be able to save plats for equipment upgrades etc. If the prices for ports are that high, I will have no other choice but to wait for a sow and hoof it, especially during my early levels because it will be impossible for me to actually afford both.
The standard amount back in the day was 10pp. If you’re a new char, sure porters in P99 are going to be nice and not disparage you for paying that much. Once you get into your 20s though if you’re still tipping 2pp you’re gonna see a lot of people having a problem with porting you repeatedly.

And also, if you can’t afford ports at a low level you’re in luck! There’s a boat if you need to get between continents! You can run between zones too! Just use the arrow keys on your keyboard and off you go! Ports are a luxury. Such a dumb statement that “well I don’t have much money so I’m entitled to pay a low amount for a port”...no...you’re entitled to walk/boat.

Oh and if you’re so confident about your position and how people will just continually port you for 2pp, why don’t you disclose your character name on this thread? Then we can see how often any porters who read the forums are willing to port you.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:30 PM
Aviak

It is shocking the amount of people that are so opposed to simply running; I run all over rather than port most of the time on my non-porting classes. It's absolutely bizarre to me to get port requests from someone in EC for sRO or LS. A level 8 asking for a port from BB to WC or vice versa is also bizarre. Take a boat man, rather than poor-mouth me about how you can only afford 5g before I even ask about cash.

But really, if you are ~40+ and especially a farming class that acts indignant about tipping the cost of a single HG kill I have no sympathy for you. Just as bad as people that spam tells to porters that are in non-port zones (Lguk, kedge, Plane of friggin' Sky...) asking "u porting?". If you are super low level and feel like 5 plat or around that is too much to give I recommend getting some more levels under your belt in your immediate area or hoofing it.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:32 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The standard amount back in the day was 10pp. If you’re a new char, sure porters in P99 are going to be nice and not disparage you for paying that much. Once you get into your 20s though if you’re still tipping 2pp you’re gonna see a lot of people having a problem with porting you repeatedly.

And also, if you can’t afford ports at a low level you’re in luck! There’s a boat if you need to get between continents! You can run between zones too! Just use the arrow keys on your keyboard and off you go! Ports are a luxury. Such a dumb statement that “well I don’t have much money so I’m entitled to pay a low amount for a port”...no...you’re entitled to walk/boat.

Oh and if you’re so confident about your position and how people will just continually port you for 2pp, why don’t you disclose your character name on this thread? Then we can see how often any porters who read the forums are willing to port you.
Hmmm I don't see anything in my post that exhibited any type of entitlement. All I said was my own perspective and experience on this topic, that I could not afford that kind of plat at my early levels and that I will have no other choice but to walk if such a standard price like 10+pp for a port. So I'm not sure where you felt I was acting entitled. In fact I said I believe in open market and if that's what the price is, then again, exactly as you said, I will have no other choice but to walk/boat since it would be impossible for me to afford both equipment and ports. It will be what it is and I'll have to live with it.

And my character name is Radga. Lvl11 Ogre SK at the moment. I have absolutely no issue with telling everyone who I am. I didn't start the thread but there seems to be a variety of opinion on this topic, so I expressed my own. I hope you could respect that?
Old 09-08-2020, 07:43 PM
Planar Protector

On Mannastone, I always tip 35-50pp depending how good/quick the service may be. I topped a dude 20pp once because of bad service - it felt bad, bit it was the right thing to do.

A few times I forget money and I got a 50-200pp item on me and I donate that instead. Druids can easily get to EC and sell stuff.

Time is too precious. Port, don't run.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:58 PM
Sarnak

I’m a casual noob, and I have never had problems scraping up at least a platinum piece per level when I need a port. That said, I have also ran very far because I am poor and saving money for gear. Hell, on your long ass run you can probably kill a few wisps and get some greater light stones to buy a port.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:31 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The standard amount back in the day was 10pp.
25-30 was what I remember. But I think 10pp was probably still doable.

Everyone was also way lower level though. This server must be 10x as top heavy as classic times. Here I tip 1pp per level with a floor of 30 or so. If they come and get me from somewhere that may bump it a little.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:37 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:

You F ing cheap bastards. The mana cost (sow and port to where you are at, to where you want to go, and to where the porter wants to be) plus the time to do all that, is more than you are factoring in your calculation. As was said previously, knock your cheap @$$ selves out waiting for the boats.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:29 PM
Planar Protector

I always tell people who ask that I tip 50pp, but I never do.

I usually only give about 20pp, but I figure, by telling folks that white lie I encourage others to give a little bit more...which actually increases total tips for porters.

Classic Win-Win
Old 09-09-2020, 10:41 PM
Fire Giant

Will just add, if everyone was as cheap as many here are, and 10pp was the average tip, I would never port strangers. I have plenty of things to do in game other than save you a bunch of time by zipping you to where you want to go.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by YendorLootmonkey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have been doing "Your choice... i can pay you 50pp, or when we land, you roll /random 100 and that is your tip" a few times... some porters like to gamble. I've gotten ports for < 10pp but also had to pay out 80pp+.... haha
Im doing this now lol
Closed Thread