Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 12-07-2017, 12:21 PM
Orc

The MGellan guide seemed to indicate that NVIDIA drivers are required to run P99 on Linux distros.

Can someone here confirm that they were able to get a P99 working with intel graphics?

I just purchased a Lenovo T470 to replace my T420s, and unfortunately the new computer uses integrated Intel graphics rather than an NVIDIA GPU...
Last edited by mrquincy; 12-07-2017 at 12:26 PM..
Old 10-23-2018, 12:12 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrquincy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The MGellan guide seemed to indicate that NVIDIA drivers are required to run P99 on Linux distros.

Can someone here confirm that they were able to get a P99 working with intel graphics?

I just purchased a Lenovo T470 to replace my T420s, and unfortunately the new computer uses integrated Intel graphics rather than an NVIDIA GPU...
Yes, intel graphics work just fine. There's a few eqclient.ini settings you'll want to change if things don't look right in this thread but other than that the Intel integrated graphics work fine.

I've played on a number of Lenovo/Thinkpads (currently using an x270).
Tzartole (62 MNK) epic 1.0
Old 10-23-2018, 01:47 PM
Planar Protector

I'm on Linux Mint, and I have both an Nvidia card and built-in Intel graphics. I stopped running on the Intel graphics card because it couldn't handle three monitors AND EverQuest without EQ lagging ... but honestly if I'd just gone down to one or two monitors it probably would have been fine.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:07 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Hey guys I am new to Fedora 29. I was able to get through the install ok, however I am running into issues running the game without it trying to patch itself. When I run eqgame.exe it will error and say "please run everquest.exe" I am not seeing any option in properties to run it with patchme. If i try to run the wine command in term I just get the unable to find eqgame.exe
Old 02-02-2019, 10:02 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanysean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey guys I am new to Fedora 29. I was able to get through the install ok, however I am running into issues running the game without it trying to patch itself. When I run eqgame.exe it will error and say "please run everquest.exe" I am not seeing any option in properties to run it with patchme. If i try to run the wine command in term I just get the unable to find eqgame.exe
Heya, I've been meaning to just write an updated blog post on how to get this working but I think you just need to pass patchme to your wine command you're using to run Everquest via Wine.

You want to run this in a terminal then you can make a script to run it later and associate the equivalent of a Linux desktop shortcut which I'll explain farther down in this post. With Wine you need to manually pass options since you're calling the Windows executable with it.

To test that first go to where eqgame.exe is located, open a terminal and run:
Code:
wine eqgame.exe patchme
Here's what I use as a script (this is on Fedora 28) - it cd's into the directory where EQ is installed and runs, adjust accordingly.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
# start everquest
cd /home/repo/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/EverQuest/ ; taskset -c 0 /usr/bin/wine eqgame.exe patchme
You can save this to a file, call it something like start-everquest.sh. Modify it to match the path where your game is installed and use it to launch the game. taskset -c just forces it to run on one CPU core, Everquest is single-threaded and there's known issues on some older multi-core systems so it's more of a precaution.

Further, you can make a .desktop file so the Everquest program is searchable in whatever desktop environment you're using (XFCE here) but I would first get things working via a script or command line before further customizing for convenience. Again, adjust paths and the name of your script accordingly.

Pasting this into a terminal would create the appropriate .desktop entry.

Code:
cat > /home/repo/.local/share/applications/everquest.desktop <<EOF
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Everquest
Comment=Everquest
Exec=sh /home/repo/scripts/start-eq.sh
Icon=/home/repo/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/EverQuest/Everquest.ico
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Categories=Games;
Path=
EOF
I hope this helps.
Tzartole (62 MNK) epic 1.0
Last edited by cadiz; 02-02-2019 at 10:13 PM..
Old 01-06-2020, 08:37 PM
Sarnak

wine version 5.0+ rc1-4 are causing eq to lock up at the sound manager

unless you have a cpu with a low base freq
taskset -c 0 will hinder you by only running the game on "core zero"
Last edited by xaix1999; 01-06-2020 at 08:40 PM..
Old 12-04-2021, 12:30 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Hello, I'm looking to get back into the game and have since swapped over to Felora Linux (currently version 35, 64bit) while I was away. Are the steps in this guide still current?
I installed the CDs and patch files via Lutris, after a successful install I switched the runner to use the "launch titanium" file. The wine virtual box then displays a black desktop with an Everquest icon in the corner for a few moments, then goes completely black.
Old 12-04-2021, 01:03 PM
Planar Protector

I'd play with the settings in winecfg.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 12-04-2021, 02:03 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd play with the settings in winecfg.
I think I got it, under "Runner Options" I switched the Wine version from the default to "lutris-5.7-11-x86_64"
tyty