Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 09:58 PM
Sarnak

Lightbulb A Case for Nerfing Soulfire by Artelius Lightweaver

“You're a perfect example of why non-classic changes are necessary.

You come here to a classic server with the expectation of all past exploitable things being abusable, otherwise it's not legitimized in your mind. You fail to realize that it's not classic to begin with if these things people barely knew about started getting widespread usage, they no longer become classic. Many of these things were changed back then immediately upon developer realizations, for good reason.

To repeat something I said in Discord and to address one item in your list, NToV dragons were never solo pulled to the zone in in Classic with the consistency and precision that we started to see here. People raided NToV like a normal raid zone. A change was needed to return that to be the case. These mobs were rooted in Luclin because it was always intended by the developers that they be fought in or near their lairs.

We will continue to make changes as we feel necessary to restore a classic atmosphere and difficulty, including non-classic changes to meet those goals. To not do so otherwise would result in a server far detrimental to the health of the community as a whole.

I will not be commenting on this again.”

With the recent statings of Rogean, I hereby propose on this date, a change in the holiest of weapons in a Paladin’s arsenal, Soulfire. Brothers and sisters in arms, I am calling upon you all, please sheath your Soulfires. If you do not possess the nobility of the blade, please do not continue to desecrate the sanctity of this holy weapon. This weapon is said to trap the souls of anyone killed by this blade within its hilt, being forever tormented. I am asking you all to give up your Soulfires and free these tormented souls.

I have done extensive research and this item was not intended to be abused. (See this old everquest posts as reference):

“We have reviewed Ghoulbane and SoulFire and will be making some changes to these items with the next patch.
Ghoulbane will become No Drop and SoulFire will require the proper Race/Class to activate. We wanted to make you aware of these changes before we made them. These weapons are really intended to be holy weapons, and these changes should make them exclusive to Paladins. We will also be reviewing the quest to make certain that it is working after the patch.”

https://web.archive.org/web/20020122.../everlore.com/

As you can see, the intent was never to allow other classes to wield such a mighty weapon. The rampant abuse had plagued Everquest for a long time and finally came to an end. Once the GMs learned of the exploitation, they acted swiftly. Here is one of many reasons Soulfire was changed:

“They are changing the SF to No Drop and Pally Only because in Test of Tactics 3 that was held on the Rallos Zek server (teams of 6 people from each one of the servers in a big brawl basically) Most of the compeditors were using SFs as a healing perpose, so the opponent would have to kill them 6 times before they were dead (5 charges of complete healing, Duh!)”
https://web.archive.org/web/20020207....asp?ID=546749

Lo! Paladins of Norrath unite! Revolt against the masses! Long are the days where we have been cast aside for warriors and clerics! I am calling on a Soulfire strike by all of those who are not worthy to wield the great fiery blade! Make Paladins great again! It is our time to shine while wielding the holiest of weapons…Soulfire!

Old 09-09-2019, 10:02 PM
Fire Giant

ALS sold their souls you cannot speak of such a holy weapon.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:27 PM
Planar Protector

There's not much chance of us accidentally trapping anyone's soul since we can't equip the damned sword. Which, I suppose, is better than you can say. How many souls have you stolen, oh noble knight? How long have you been consorting with the Devil?
Old 09-09-2019, 10:28 PM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-09-2019, 10:29 PM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
oops
Old 09-09-2019, 10:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There's not much chance of us accidentally trapping anyone's soul since we can't equip the damned sword. Which, I suppose, is better than you can say. How many souls have you stolen, oh noble knight? How long have you been consorting with the Devil?
it's not really stealing if you deliver the souls to God

Yours in Christ
Closed Thread