Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 01:12 PM
Planar Protector

P.S. I guess it would be somewhat feasible to do it with just the folders, but still copy all the raw files. At least you'd use up some less disk space with that approach, and there's a small enough number of folders you wouldn't go insane making symlinks.

Really if you want to go that route though I'd dig up that utility some guy wrote that removes all the unnecessary (for P99) files. I'd guess doing that would save more disk space (and be faster) than making the folder symlinks, but I could be wrong (and of course you could always do both).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:13 PM
Fire Giant

In Windows (I don't know for linux) you can symbolic link a whole folder to avoid linking every file. You'd remove eqclient.ini from an EverQuest folder and point the whole new folder to the old folder. Then replace eqclient.ini in the new folder.
Celent - 60 Sorcerer!
Stratah - 58 Troubadour!
Joan - 58 Knight!
Colin - 52 Rake!

Guild Leader of <Eclipse>
Old 09-09-2019, 01:17 PM
Planar Protector

Hopefully someone who knows Windows symlinks well can chime in, but that just doesn't sound right.

If you create symlink foo that goes to folder bar, it doesn't create magic copies of every file in bar; it just makes a link to bar. When you "cd foo" (or go into the foo folder in Windows), you actually go into the contents of "bar", even though it still says "foo" in the command line or in your windows Explorer.

So with what you described if you made a symlink to your EQ folder, then went into that symlink, you'd be in your real EQ folder. If you changed ore replaced eqclient.ini, you'd do so for everyone who uses that folder, not just for one symlink to it.

But again, maybe Windows has something else called a "symbolic link" which works fundamentally differently?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:27 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hopefully someone who knows Windows symlinks well can chime in, but that just doesn't sound right.

If you create symlink foo that goes to folder bar, it doesn't create magic copies of every file in bar; it just makes a link to bar. When you "cd foo" (or go into the foo folder in Windows), you actually go into the contents of "bar", even though it still says "foo" in the command line or in your windows Explorer.

So with what you described if you made a symlink to your EQ folder, then went into that symlink, you'd be in your real EQ folder. If you changed ore replaced eqclient.ini, you'd do so for everyone who uses that folder, not just for one symlink to it.

But again, maybe Windows has something else called a "symbolic link" which works fundamentally differently?
No you're absolutely right. I had my ideas wrong and I verified via testing that it won't work the way I intended.
Celent - 60 Sorcerer!
Stratah - 58 Troubadour!
Joan - 58 Knight!
Colin - 52 Rake!

Guild Leader of <Eclipse>
Old 09-09-2019, 02:01 PM
Kobold

Am I crazy? What account-wide hotbar settings are you guys talking about?
Old 09-09-2019, 02:31 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydoc [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Am I crazy? What account-wide hotbar settings are you guys talking about?
Keybinds
Old 09-09-2019, 02:35 PM
Aviak

For example, in options, you set "a" to turn auto attack on. "a" will turn on auto attack when you're on ANY of your characters. What if you only want "a" to do that on your rogue? And you want "a" to make you sit down on your Necro? You have to manually change it everytime, or, use WinEQ2 (free) to create different profiles which allow you to launch the game with separate eqclient.ini (the keybind location) files.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:42 PM
Kobold

Ah ok. So nothing that's changed in the last patch?
Old 09-09-2019, 02:50 PM
Kobold

Bah, my post poofed:

How about a batch file?

Make a copy of eqclient.ini for each character (or more realistically for the two or maybe three keybind setups). Name them eqclient1.ini, eqclient2.ini.

Make batch that deletes eqclient.ini then copies eqclient#.ini to eqclient.ini, then launches EQ.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:51 PM
Sarnak

hbu write a batch file for each character, which copieth the appropriate file into your eq directory on launch?

your welcum
Closed Thread