Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

View Poll Results: Will there ever be a classic EQ server again?
Yes 8 10.39%
No 32 41.56%
Maybe 12 15.58%
Bushes classic tower's will never be forgotten. 25 32.47%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 04:19 PM
Planar Protector

I have a really bad memory and never go to get specific gear.

I wouldn't want to curse anyone with it. But it keeps things pretty fresh for me. I will still slap a set of ringmail on a ranger with a 2hs and go collect bandit sashes and do all the little undead killing quests even though people are killing dragons for the most epic loot.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:55 PM
Banned

I need a server with no boxing, RMT, etc that goes up to planes of power

that would be balls awesome
Old 11-11-2020, 05:28 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You would have to wipe the memory of every player in order to create a classic experience.

That "Classic" server you are describing not only requires original code, but for the player to have little-to-zero knowledge of the game.

All of the classic features, patches and gameplay matters for not when you know the stats on every item from every mob and every spell/ability every class has and how to put them all together, before the server launches.

I was like 9 when I started EQ, kunark era, made an iksar. I initially thought that the entire game was Cabilis and the Field of Blown.

Imagine how my young impressionable mind was blown upon figuring out how big the game was.

That hooked me forever. It couldn't happen now (or again) because I know every inch between cabilis and permafrost.

But most of us are still literally chasing the dragon.

best explanation yet... nothing is classic when you know 100% of what has/will happen
Old 11-11-2020, 11:24 PM
Banned

Classic didn’t have an “end,” tfym.

It’s “Ever”Quest - it’s still going on.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:00 AM
Sarnak

If there was, it wouldn't be the classic experience because of all the knowledge we have of the game now. There wouldn't be the classic wonder of not knowing how quests work, where the safe areas are, how to do anything. Unless it was played by all new players without access to a wiki.
Old 11-12-2020, 02:15 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shourty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If there was, it wouldn't be the classic experience because of all the knowledge we have of the game now. There wouldn't be the classic wonder of not knowing how quests work, where the safe areas are, how to do anything. Unless it was played by all new players without access to a wiki.
Man ppl need to read threads. or at least the previous 2 pages.

I said this on the last page.
Old 11-12-2020, 03:44 AM
Planar Protector

I'm for a "randomizer" type server. It's a (semi) popular option for a lot of emulated games. Randomize zone connections, mob spawns, item drops - the possibilities are (virtually) limitless. Imagine a giant bixie with 32k hp in Permafrost dropping Putrid Bile!

I'd definitely check that out.

-Mcoy
Old 11-12-2020, 08:40 AM
Planar Protector

I think it's ok to visit the orc camp in Lake Rathe just for fun now and then. Regardless of how many people play or how popular the box is. A classic experience isn't a popularity contest or E-sporrs competition to FTE for me.

A lot of people here want "fairness" balance. To reduce adversity for their side, class, guild. But few want to explore and revel in what once was. Like diving into the Smithsonian on a weekend. They just want to skip to the end and have all the best stuff.

I say we open a cheat mode server for the kiddos and let them run around in full BiS with some commands.

And that we open a real classic or classic as possible server, imperfection and all and just not cater to the unclassic crowd who think stuff like combat bind wound is way too broken.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:10 AM
Banned

Someone could make it classic except for mix up the mobs.. make frogs live in cazik, put goblins in guk and maybe change the equipment/nameds so thats its a fresh experience but still has the classic feel.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You would have to wipe the memory of every player in order to create a classic experience.
True, we have discussed this before. The only real new experience would be a new experience. This is not likely to happen as the RPG after MMO has been dropped due to time and changing tastes. Destiny game is what people are after. Something that will work on computers or consoles, no text in favor of voice so no need for a keyboard or a mouse as interaction in the game will prompt "Press X to open".
Closed Thread