Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 09:26 PM
Sarnak

Default Couple stupid PC build questions.

Hey looking to upgrade some stuff in the PC this year.

Running a decent but not overly pricy 500w psu and looking to uprgade my vid card / ram.

Im not looking to overclock the cpu or anything crazy but should i be worried when doing these upgrades. Just want to make sure i dont fry anything because the PSU wasn't up to par.

tldr: do i need to upgrade my PSU aswell when upgrading my video card / adding some higher ram sticks?

edit: This is the power supply I used in my budget build a few years back http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=rp3p89e0tuhp

editx2: Probably just going to upgrade the PSU aswell
Last edited by Peekae; 12-18-2013 at 10:18 PM..
Old 12-19-2013, 11:30 AM
Sarnak

Are you going to go SLI or single GPU? What video card(s) are you looking at getting?

I've been using the same 500W Xion PSU for 5+ years and have upgraded my motherboard at least twice during that time. I currently have an ATI 5770 with an Intel i5 quadcore 3570K with 2 SATA HD's and a DVD burner internal. I've never had power issues.

On some of the cheaper PSU's however, the current will degrade over time making people think that they need to get an 800W or above when there is no need, unless you are expanding your GPU capabilities or HD numbers greatly. If you are going to upgrade the PSU, get something that will last, like a Corsair branded one.
Last edited by moklianne; 12-19-2013 at 11:32 AM..
Old 12-19-2013, 11:35 AM
Kobold

The RAM isn't really anything to worry about, at least as far as your PSU goes. Video card is worth concern. It's never a bad idea to have a better power supply, even in a budget build.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:42 AM
Sarnak

Yeah i kinda asked this before really looking was curious on opinions but upgrading the PSU regardless. Going up a decent amount on the video card side of things and will be looking at a new motherboard / CPU within the next year probably so might as well get it now
Closed Thread