Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 02:51 PM
Skeleton

Default newb enchanter questions

a few questions from a newb enchanter

1. Is mez guarenteed to go full duration once it lands?

2. is there any kind of software out there to let you know when mez is about to wear off? (lvl 4 mez last 24 seconds so is there any kind of UI that would start a timer after it lands or do you just have to kinda time it in your head?

3. does re-mezzing become a non-issue after you get higher lvl mezzes that last longer?

4. it seems charm kiting at lower lvls is less efficient charm/keeping root/invis/then 2 nukes to finish them off for 2 mobs is more mana than just one DoT and nuke per mob with pet to get over 50% dmg (lvl 15) and full experience. is this just because i'm low lvl?

5. when 4 mobs are all RIGHT on top of each other and the tank is on one. is there a better way to target them than just "cycle through nearest npc button" more than once i have targetted a mob that wasn't even pulled using this method and mezzed him (thank god it memblurred to) because it didnt seem to cycle through the NEAREST target really like it should.

I know it's a long post any input i appreciate though. i know everyone hates crappy encanters!!
Old 09-22-2014, 03:00 PM
Planar Protector

1. Yes unless the mob is damaged or dispelled. (DoTs count)
2. Google GINA or GamTextTriggers. They are programs that read your log file and will display timer overlays if you play in windowed mode.
3. It's a non issue even with level 4 mez. Especially once you get breeze and clarity. I Have a 38 chanter and level 4 and 16 (AOE) Mez are the only ones I use. They only last 24seconds but at 20 and 50 mana respectively I can last a very long time mezzing mobs with those spells.
4. Mainly cause low level. It becomes way more efficient in due time.
5. Get level 16 and then use Mesmerization. 16 AOE mez is one of chanters best spells. But cycle NPC is the best way to target mobs... just look at the mobs name plates and see which start flashing before casting.
Last edited by Daldaen; 09-22-2014 at 03:03 PM..
Old 09-22-2014, 03:04 PM
Aviak

1) Mez won't break early once it lands, unless someone breaks it (does direct damage to it, DOTs it.. etc)

2) There's software called GamTextTriggers located here: http://p99.yourfirefly.com/ - It's not against the rules to use on this server. It parses your log and sets up timers for things like buffs, mezzes, etc. Definitely frowned upon as "not classic" by many people here.

3) Re-Mezzing can only be done by a lesser or equivalent spell. If you cast a 24 second mesmerize, you can't overwrite it with a 96 second dazzle. You can overwrite mezzes of the same type, or less. For example, Dazzle is about to expire, you need a little bit more time, you can cast a 24 second mez and it will overwrite it (assuming you don't get resisted.)

4) I really enjoyed charm kiting (if that's the same as fear-kiting with a charmed pet as dps) ONLY if I had a class with me that could snare. Otherwise it was too risky. The best bet for soloing, in my opinion, is root one mob, fight with your charmed mob, break pet when one of them is almost dead, nuke both down. Racing your pet to 50% is pretty impossible as the pets get better and better. If that's your concern, just duo as the penalty doesn't exist in that circumstance.

5) I changed my TAB button to cycle through targets, I never cared which was closest. Not sure if we're talking about the same thing. If you're worried about mezzing what your tank isn't hitting, make a macro to /assist the tank, then hit tab to switch to the next target. If you're close in level to the mobs and aren't getting a ton of resists, just AOE mez them all. I usually don't do this unless there's more than 4 mobs. 3 mob pulls are super manageable with single mezzes.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:31 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmet [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you're close in level to the mobs and aren't getting a ton of resists, just AOE mez them all. I usually don't do this unless there's more than 4 mobs. 3 mob pulls are super manageable with single mezzes.
Be careful using / relying on AoE mezz too much as Ahmet says, later on in life 2 resists on an AoE mezz by very resistant mobs can be fatal to you, whereas the tank would probably be able to hang on that extra 5 seconds it takes to get them with singles. Get an item that resets your GCD and use a couple ranks of mezz in quick succession for safer results in tougher spots.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:37 PM
Aviak

To compound onto what kruptcy said, and I don't know if this makes me a bad chanter or not, but after lvl 50, I haven't really had AOE mez on my bar much at all. I might return to it again when resists become less troublesome, but at 56, resists are plenty when you're down in seb crypt or in an HS wing. I did love AOE mez when I was back in mistmoore, for example. It seemed like it never failed me there.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:15 PM
Sarnak

I would not get into the habit of AE mezzing. In my opinion AE mezzes are for emergencies only. While the level 16 mez is pretty mana efficient, IMO you don't want to be using it at high level because as Ahmet says, it's going to get resisted and you will be smacked around by multiple mobs. The level 52 Fascination is more reliable with it's -10 resist mod, however it is a mana hog.

The best enchanters in my experience dazzle everything one after the other fast. This is what you want to practice and get good at. Assist the tank and sick your pet, then tab through the mobs singly and mez. Get yourself an instant click item to defeat the global cooldown on mez.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:59 PM
Sarnak

I humbly disagree with previous posters.

AE Mez invaluable for large pulls (3 or more) where you aren't mezzing white/yellow/reds.
Odds are you will mez them all and if one resists, then root or single mez.
Once group is AE Mezzed, then can quick root some of the melees and re-apply AE Mez.

Read the chanter guides on the Wiki and they will agree with me on the
value of AE Mez.

The only real danger with AE Mez is mezzing yourself, but that goes
away at 56.

ALWAYS memmed on my spell bar where the possibility of a
large pull is possible.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:37 PM
Planar Protector

The only time Tecmos ever doesn't have the low AE mez memmed is for about 20 seconds after I respawn after dying, and when he's in sky. Resists have changed in the last months, but that spells is still amazing.

Regarding targetting mobs, set a key to "switch between last two targets" or whatever it is and learn to love it. It's amazing.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:26 AM
Skeleton

thanks for all the replies everything makes a lot of sense! now Does anyone know what folder I need to place the Gamtexttrigger files into after extraction?
Old 09-23-2014, 09:55 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone88 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I humbly disagree with previous posters.
Everyone has their own way of doing things! I would be careful citing any guides though, 99% of them are chocked full of inaccuracies.
Closed Thread