Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 10:18 PM
Planar Protector

Default Should the server provide "Best of the Best" style PvP + rewards?

Re-posting this from earlier because there was never a good discussion about it and I feel the server needs additional means of promoting meaningful gameplay:

I want to see planned, structured PvP battles. 6v6, 12v12, and 24v24. Every week. Each guild forms their squads and you PvP for the rights to have a head-start on a Raid target (whatever the winning team picks). A player can only be used for one squad; a guild would need to have a total of 40 people logging on during guild battle day in order to field full teams of each type. If an uneven number of guilds are registered into one of the PvP areas (say 3 guilds or 5 guilds), then the previous week's winner gets a bye through the first round bracket. The 6v6 and 12v12 fields would have equipment restrictions, to provide a more level playing field. The terrain teams fight on would vary every week.

This would make it so the game requires more actual SKILL. The best PvP teams would be rewarded. The only way to measure who are truly the best is by fighting with even numbers (and even equipment). That's how every sport in existence operates. Anyone who is opposed to such a thing doesn't actually care about team PvP. There should be a leaderboard that tracks the # of victories a player has achieved and players would individually receive additional rewards after something like every 2 or 3 victories.

Note that these structured battles would only contest 3 raid targets, so there would still be plenty of content left to contest in the "regular" way. Lots of people obviously enjoy the guerilla-warfare type of World-PvP and it should have an important place in the game.

The structured battles would also naturally help to "even out" the number of people that are in each guild, since only a maximum of 40 people per guild would be able to complete in them (and thus potentially receive the additional rewards). This means that "regular" PvP contentions for Raid targets would be much more intense and frequent...which is what everyone playing on a PvP server should want. If you don't want that, then you're basically just playing on a PvP server in order to beat up on easy opponents: ie, an artificial way to feel like you're accomplishing more in life than someone else.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:22 PM
Banned

would b cool but staff too lazy to do something like this on a weekly basis
Old 07-02-2014, 10:40 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via ICQ to Uuruk Send a message via AIM to Uuruk Send a message via MSN to Uuruk Send a message via Yahoo to Uuruk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colgate [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
would b cool but staff too lazy to do something like this on a weekly basis
Ban
Old 07-02-2014, 10:49 PM
Sarnak

EQ is fun + unique because it's PvE with PvP added on. No 1v1 arena kill is as satisfying as harm touching someone at 40% dying to two mobs already.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Salem [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EQ is fun + unique because it's PvE with PvP added on. No 1v1 arena kill is as satisfying as harm touching someone at 40% dying to two mobs already.
dunno man gotta say that sweeping the botb against VP geared nerds with my tattered mantle and pegasus pants after being called a nonfactor who doesn't leave a zoneline and relies on broken tstaff procs while they cried about me being a hacker was probably some of the most satisfying shit i've done on this server
Old 07-02-2014, 11:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Re-posting this from earlier because there was never a good discussion about it and I feel the server needs additional means of promoting meaningful gameplay:

I want to see planned, structured PvP battles. 6v6, 12v12, and 24v24. Every week. Each guild forms their squads and you PvP for the rights to have a head-start on a Raid target (whatever the winning team picks). A player can only be used for one squad; a guild would need to have a total of 40 people logging on during guild battle day in order to field full teams of each type. If an uneven number of guilds are registered into one of the PvP areas (say 3 guilds or 5 guilds), then the previous week's winner gets a bye through the first round bracket. The 6v6 and 12v12 fields would have equipment restrictions, to provide a more level playing field. The terrain teams fight on would vary every week.

This would make it so the game requires more actual SKILL. The best PvP teams would be rewarded. The only way to measure who are truly the best is by fighting with even numbers (and even equipment). That's how every sport in existence operates. Anyone who is opposed to such a thing doesn't actually care about team PvP. There should be a leaderboard that tracks the # of victories a player has achieved and players would individually receive additional rewards after something like every 2 or 3 victories.

Note that these structured battles would only contest 3 raid targets, so there would still be plenty of content left to contest in the "regular" way. Lots of people obviously enjoy the guerilla-warfare type of World-PvP and it should have an important place in the game.

The structured battles would also naturally help to "even out" the number of people that are in each guild, since only a maximum of 40 people per guild would be able to complete in them (and thus potentially receive the additional rewards). This means that "regular" PvP contentions for Raid targets would be much more intense and frequent...which is what everyone playing on a PvP server should want. If you don't want that, then you're basically just playing on a PvP server in order to beat up on easy opponents: ie, an artificial way to feel like you're accomplishing more in life than someone else.
You can already fight over raid targets. No need to have GMs hold WoW style arena battles in EverQuest.

And this game never has and never will require "skill". It's 90% prep/gear and 10% execution.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:43 PM
Retired GM

Location: Cabilis East, in the northwest corner of the zone-in from Field of Bone

If you want to put together a comprehensive list of rules, regulations, team sizes, restrictions, allowed equipment, tactics, and items, we may be able to get something like this put together.

Just laying out the logistics alone for this kind of event is a nightmare once a month let alone once a week. You can find my 2v2 duelist tournament thread from a while back over on blue to get an idea of how extensive these "any class vs any class team battles" can be, because there are so many different equipment scenarios/items to consider that may be "unfair" or will just make the fight boring.

It's not like we haven't thought of doing this kind of thing, and I'm certainly not knocking your idea - we do something similar with Thursday Night Fights. It's just very time consuming to put together and run (time that really needs to be spent on CSR stuff as often as possible - we are swamped right now)

Thanks for the suggestion, and I was being serious in my above post - if you put together a full list of rules, hash them out with the community so they are 'perfect' or as close to it as possible, and you'l be one step closer to having this happen.

I've thought about bringing the Duelist tournament over to Red on multiple occasions, but we want to get Enchanter BotB out of the way first - then we'll do duelist on red and blue.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:27 AM
Sarnak

I remember one time I killed this noob named Teeks in City of Mist while he was fighting a mob, he later joined Nihilum stating the reason that he app'd to them was because I killed him while engaged in the act of PvE and that such acts were dishonorable and showed the true colors of a guild (Azrael)
Old 07-03-2014, 12:58 AM
Banned

blue server duelist tournament was gr8 fun for me and jeremy
Old 07-03-2014, 01:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Salem [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I remember one time I killed this noob named Teeks in City of Mist while he was fighting a mob, he later joined Nihilum stating the reason that he app'd to them was because I killed him while engaged in the act of PvE and that such acts were dishonorable and showed the true colors of a guild (Azrael)
lawl
Closed Thread