Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 06:52 AM
Sarnak

Pretty sure an enchanter split OP's mom.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:35 AM
Banned

OP is thinking way too hard about something that will never happen.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:01 AM
Fire Giant

Stop pretending that using the animation instead of a charm is a minor difference in dps that is made up for by the additional safety. It's like dealing ten times less damage.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs86z [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
OP is thinking way too hard about something that will never happen.
ere com de otsteppah

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legidias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Maybe doesnt fit lore, but it fits a balanced gameplay design
Maybe tighten up the graphics a little bit
Old 08-02-2019, 08:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortior [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Stop pretending that using the animation instead of a charm is a minor difference in dps that is made up for by the additional safety. It's like dealing ten times less damage.
I will push away from the dinner table. This min/max video game nonsense has turned my stomach.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:49 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Similarly here, we already only have Bards and Enchanters for CC, so I'd hate to see half as many CCers available. I'd want both Enchanters and Psionicists to "do crowd control" in some way. It'd be ok (and probably more interesting though) if they didn't both have mez, but instead Enchanters had a more unique mechanism.
I dont know that I would go so far as to say they are the only CC. On my shaman slowing the adds, then pulling them away and rooting them can often be more stable and effective CC than even mezing.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortior [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nobody said the DPS difference is minor. It's hardly 10x less though. The best Animation pet quads for 56 damage a hit and can be max hasted without any downside. You ain't charming things that quad for 560, much less max hasting a charm pet like that. The typical charm pet is hitting for like 150, which is a bit less than 3x more damage. That's still a wide gap, but the DPS of the Animation is quite significant and makes a big difference over not using a pet at all.

Animation pet, Haste, Slow, and Root is already adding more to the majority of groups than any other single class can. Think about that for a moment.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bards and Enchanters are hardly the only CC in Everquest; Root is an extremely powerful mechanic that works the majority of the time (and even in certain places where Mesmerize doesn't - against Giants). Some people forget about how crazy strong Root actually is: a long-lasting, fast-recharging 100% movement reduction for very little mana would be considered absurdly broken in any PvP game. It already makes a lot of EQ content trivial as it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfcell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I dont know that I would go so far as to say they are the only CC. On my shaman slowing the adds, then pulling them away and rooting them can often be more stable and effective CC than even mezing.
Ok agreed, Bards/Enchanters aren't the only CCers. But they're the only classes many people will accept for that role in a group. Try doing Seb King without either one for instance, and telling people "I'm a Shaman, I've got root, we'll be fine".

I'm not saying it's impossible, but what might be harder than actually doing it is just convincing people to do it without an "official CCer class" (heck, I got pushback just for having a Bard instead of an Enchanter once).

Groups need (or at least think they need) two core roles, and then depending on the camp possibly up to three others (and then as much DPS as they can get for the rest). They need a healer and a tank, and then possibly also a puller, slower, and/or CCer.

Whenever you want to do a camp that needs a role, and you don't have it, no one gets to play. So all I'm saying is, if you take away the ability for half the Enchanters out there to fulfill a role, people aren't going to get to play a lot of those camps .

But again, I'd totally be in favor with Enchanters getting a way to fulfill that role without mez. Give them a 95% slow that turns into a 50% haste the moment anyone attacks the mob, for instance (but can easily be dispelled by the Enchanter if they do so on purpose while it's still a slow). You thought mez breaks were bad? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 08-02-2019 at 02:34 PM..
Old 08-02-2019, 05:13 PM
Planar Protector

Root is a 100% slow as long as nobody hits the target (for summoning level mobs) or stands next to it. This isn't a challenging mechanic to execute. You don't need mesmerize to do Seb King (or even Root - it can be FD pulled). Mesmerize is something that's most impactful against groups of damage-dealing casters, which isn't a common thing in the game. There's usually just 1 powerful caster in a given aggro area, which you just pull and kill first while rooting everything else.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Root is a 100% slow as long as nobody hits the target (for summoning level mobs) or stands next to it. This isn't a challenging mechanic to execute. You don't need mesmerize to do Seb King (or even Root - it can be FD pulled). Mesmerize is something that's most impactful against groups of damage-dealing casters, which isn't a common thing in the game. There's usually just 1 powerful caster in a given aggro area, which you just pull and kill first while rooting everything else.
Right, I don't disagree with most of that. You don't need a CCer for many camps in the game.

But you do for some, and then as a compounding factor there's people's expectations of what you need. It doesn't matter how certain you are that you can do camp X without role Y: if that camp requires role Z, and the only Z player won't join without a Y, it amounts to X requiring Y. Between the two (need CC and think they need CC), there's enough camps that I'd still want more CCers, not fewer.

And again they don't have to be mezzers. My slow/haste idea was dumb (I don't even play an Enchanter), but I'm sure there are other ways besides mez to disable casters temporarily that a creative person could imagine.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Closed Thread