Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-12-2011, 06:07 PM
Planar Protector

Default Coming to p1999 from SoD, please advise

Hey guys, I was wondering what I have to do to play p1999 after having playing SoD (Shards of Dalaya). Do I need to reinstall the game? I don't have my original CDs. Any tips would be very helpful. Thank You!
Old 05-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Sarnak

Complete reinstall is required. SoD patches like everything to a completely incompatible level.
Get one of those perfectly legal torrent things!
Old 05-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Sarnak

and welcome, i made the same transition over a year ago now and haven't ever regretted it.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:04 PM
Fire Giant

1. Copy your entire SoD EQ directory into a new place on your hard drive - the entire directory structure - lock, stock and barrel.

2. Uninstall EQ from it's original location.

3. Install EQ again from Titanium disks.

4. Follow the getting started instructions on the P99 site to get set up and running.

If you do it this way and make a new shortcut for SoD, you can play both games from the same machine - even simultaneously if you like. I kept SoD alive so I can do this, which I did at first. But Project 1999 ultimately attracted me more and I pretty much never log into SoD anymore unless the P99 server is down.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:45 PM
Planar Protector

Thank you, mwatt...I feared that's what I would have to do.

I actually only played SoD for a little bit (over 2 years ago). I mean, the game is fine, it's just that I found I can't be dedicating a lot of time to these games at this point in my life. My playing of p1999 will be very casual; I hope that everyone on this server doesn't just twink out their lower level characters and rush to the end game content. I'd really like to see a rule against that if possible (although I realize this isn't the place to talk about it).
Old 05-13-2011, 01:59 AM
Fire Giant

Install fresh Titanium copy then use the installer in my signature to get it up and running with P99. Should be good to go in a few click no need to do anything manually.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Planar Protector

Well, I did exactly what you said, and it gave me a "the referenced memory can not be read" message when I tried to log into the server.

When I first try to run the game it also says "We recommend you download the version 8185 NVIDIA Drivers before playing Everquest." My drivers are the most up-to-date, though. Does this mean I need to scale back my drivers to an older version to play the game? Are these two problems related?
Last edited by Zuranthium; 05-13-2011 at 06:46 PM..
Old 05-13-2011, 07:18 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, I did exactly what you said, and it gave me a "the referenced memory can not be read" message when I tried to log into the server.

When I first try to run the game it also says "We recommend you download the version 8185 NVIDIA Drivers before playing Everquest." My drivers are the most up-to-date, though. Does this mean I need to scale back my drivers to an older version to play the game? Are these two problems related?
no you do not neet scale back your drivers. Current drivers work fine. That issue usually pops up when you have a resolution issue. Check out eqgame.ini to make sure resolutions are set properly... also try windowed mode.

You can run the installer and pick option (6) and try selecting Windowed 1280x1200 see if error goes away. if it does, make sure you chose the right resolution when you set it up initially.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Planar Protector

Thank you very much, that fixed the problem. I wish I was able to play in non-windowed mode and the original screen resolution, though. Will that ever be possible here or is it something that is simply incompatible with my computer?
Old 05-14-2011, 11:47 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thank you very much, that fixed the problem. I wish I was able to play in non-windowed mode and the original screen resolution, though. Will that ever be possible here or is it something that is simply incompatible with my computer?
It is certainly possible to play in full screen and right resolution. You must have selected wring resolution initially? You can try changing the resolution and to full screen from within the game. Press Alt+o for options when in game.