Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrydar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is so much misunderstanding in this thread....
That's definitely a good way of putting it. Although my OP was a bit spastic.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:41 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's definitely a good way of putting it. Although my OP was a bit spastic.
I'm a big supporter of being as classic as possible. That having been said, it isn't possible to be 100% classic. This server gets close - it gets close enough. They can't help that the maps show up in newbie zones. However, that is not entirely a bad thing. Perhaps more brand new EQ players will be retained than would not if there were no newbie maps.

EQ has a pretty steep learning curve, in particular compared to modern MOs. Back in the day when we were completely lost upon creation of our first char (not just geographically) we persisted. In part because there was not much option. Today there are plenty of options. So, maps in the newbie zones? Seems like there might even be some good in it.
Last edited by mwatt; 05-15-2011 at 04:44 PM..
Old 05-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For the purest classic experience you'll be wanting your spellbook back and that windowed UI with the blue around the edges and the scroll thing for messages. Nobody complained about that not coming back, or did they?
I do! I miss my UI with the rear-view mirror. For realz!
Old 05-15-2011, 04:57 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by moklianne [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To be truly classic, you should have a full binder of all of the maps printed out....like I had.
Hate to break it to you, but when I started in 2001, I only used 2-3 maps, maybe 5, and soon after I had most zones memorized - and eventually I had a dual head setup anyways, so that took care of wasting paper for printing out stuff ^^
Old 05-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoucLangur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hate to break it to you, but when I started in 2001, I only used 2-3 maps, maybe 5, and soon after I had most zones memorized - and eventually I had a dual head setup anyways, so that took care of wasting paper for printing out stuff ^^
This ^^
Old 05-15-2011, 05:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwatt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm a big supporter of being as classic as possible. That having been said, it isn't possible to be 100% classic.

EQ has a pretty steep learning curve, in particular compared to modern MOs. Back in the day when we were completely lost upon creation of our first char (not just geographically) we persisted. In part because there was not much option. Today there are plenty of options. So, maps in the newbie zones? Seems like there might even be some good in it.
You raise some good points here. I'm on the fence now about whether this feature, for just the Newbie zones, is a beneficial thing.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You raise some good points here. I'm on the fence now about whether this feature, for just the Newbie zones, is a beneficial thing.
when i started my first dark elf char, it took me 45 min to figure out where the exit is... I am all on boat with immersion and all, but the map of Neriak that came with the manual wasn't great help [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-15-2011, 05:49 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah but the thing is, you're supposed to ask another player for help in-game if you can't figure something out. Then you learn and pass the knowledge along later on when someone else needs help. That was part of what made the game so strong: because community was inherently necessary.

For the time being, since the server population isn't staggering (but definitely doing well all considered), I do think I agree with the in-game mapping for newbie zones. But if the server population was double what it currently is, then I would think otherwise.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Large Bat

i found this thread by searching for "young gay troll"
Old 05-15-2011, 06:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjasonlee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i found this thread by searching for "young gay troll"
What would make someone search for that? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I used to be ultra hardcore and had locs written down on a spiral notepad (one page for each zone), and used to spam a "/loc" button and head for it.

Then EQ Atlas came along, and damn... those maps were the best thing that could go into a folder! The time Muse must have spent putting them together is unthinkable, and to this server at least they are still very relevant today. We owe him a few beers [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread