Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 07-19-2018, 02:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysander [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just read that thread about quad kiting in server chat and this was linked there:
http://thedruidsgrove.org/archive/eq/t-3946.html

which talks about only 3 mobs being able to attack you while quad kiting--the 4th apparently would run off. Seems related to this.
Interesting to digest all this and look back... that PBAoE guide mentioned 3 at the end (which I thought was a mistake), and your post mentions 3, and the original nilbog link seemed to mention 3 some pages later.

Your link:
Quote:
Try not to let the mobs hit you. There is a limit on the number of mobs that will engage you in combat at one time (3), and if the group catches up to you, I find that 3 whack you, while the fourth moves off a little ways. Aside from the danger of taking damage (being stunned while 3 raptors are hitting you is not fun), this breaks up the group and you will have to take the time to re-circle them.
Quote:
It sure is impressive, but not riskier as a casual quad-kite, as only 3 mobs can hit you at once (thats why when it happens, one of the 4 mobs will run away and you'll have to group them again) And if you run OOM before theyre all dead, just outrun them with your wolfform [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My link:
https://www.graffes.com/forums/showt...l=1&styleid=51
Quote:
Anyways, hope it helps if you haven't done AE groups before and feel free to post your own hints and tricks and/or questions and remember STAND STILL! Only 3 mobs can ever hit you at a time, don't be afraid to AE!
Link from Nilbog:
http://web.archive.org/web/200101231...ML/000930.html
Quote:
Pre-kunark.. getting more as 3 pets on a mob was hard.. because verant had 'fix' a bug which would allow only 3 pets on a mob. (this was done for players, only 3 mobs would agro the player now, with pulling.. that was the idea behind it)

After kunark, it is no problem at all getting 4 or 5 pets on a mob.. just arder pet to attack and it's on it.
Interesting that pre-kunark there may have been a 3-mob limit mentioned, I could see long time players realizing this and never re-testing to find it was moved to 4-mob limit (or reason why some may inter-change 3 or 4 on max mob limit).

Either way, pretty good evidence it was a thing, up to powers that be if this has 'exploit' written all over it and how to manage it. I think it would be cool to implement, especially if those 22 mob traps trigger at once in DN!
Old 07-20-2018, 07:06 AM
Planar Protector

True if big.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:36 AM
Planar Protector

Bump for Green and no all-mage Naggy/Vox kills.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:58 AM
Planar Protector

I totally remember this mechanic (extra NPCs standing there waiting for their turn to attack), but I really wanna say it was added after Luclin release.

I leveled in Blackburrow in 2000 and I remember people getting insta-gibbed by the trains, like in a split second (man, these were the days...).
Old 09-26-2019, 04:00 AM
Planar Protector

I think it's useful to separate the two theories in this thread:

1) That only 4 pets could attack a mob: this is pretty well evidenced for existence and eras

2) That only 3 or 4 NPCs in a train would attack a PC: not so sure about if, and when
Old 09-26-2019, 04:02 AM
Planar Protector

For some reason I remember it being 4, not 3. it was pretty funny because they'd do default animations while they waited. I especially remember the solb kobolds howling like cute little puppy dogs. The non-attacking ones could still cast spells/use other non-melee abilities from what I recall though.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:32 AM
Planar Protector

Earliest reference I've found to the 4 pet limit was a Shaman commenting on a Kunark beta spell list on castersrealm. That proves it was in Vanilla EQ but I don't see any references any further back than that yet.

Quote:
posted 05-02-2000 04:30 PM

hmm u dont seem to understand. look how quickly they were to nerf it. mages get one nice thing then some troll mag post and they nerfed it a few days later. and when we ask them to fix bugs like rouge pets and no more then 4 pets can attack one target do they fix that a few days later or a year later. grrr
http://web.archive.org/web/200005111...ML/037240.html

Quote:
(comment on Kunark beta spells list):

How many times have i been in the planes and dragon raids and was asked to kill my pet. The reason, only 4 pets can attack a monster at one time. Needless to say a shaman pet can't do anything compared to the other two classes.
http://web.archive.org/web/200006211...sp?SpellID=125

Quote:
posted June 12, 2001 05:12 AM

Verants code is such that a maximum of 4 pets can beat on the monster at one time anything beyond that doesnt work until one pet dies then the 5 th can go in.
http://web.archive.org/web/200107111...04338&go=newer

Quote:
posted 05-29-2000 04:45 AM

The max 4 pets aint that big of a problem on Dragon raids.
Pets will get Feared so usually only 4 can attack anyways ... and atleast on Nagafen raids pets are a little help and cost nothing to have up.
There probaly is a chance on Vox raids that pets get feared down in the traps .. but on all Dragon raids I been to, that havn't happend.
I guess on the new dragons Feared and Blinded pets could cause dumb trains.
But I can't really see why not bring pets to dragon raids. They will add extra dmg, and the will try to bash Vox to interupt her heal (Well .. that worked before they upgraded her Channeling).
So like the other poster said, if your guild ain't liking your pet, find an other guild.
http://web.archive.org/web/200101231...ML/000530.html
Old 09-26-2019, 08:08 PM
Sarnak

This is amazing. I do recall this effect when pulling in open areas, and once four had agroed any additions would path away (still running) as if they were affected by flash of light. Once party members got on the hate list, or if one of the 4 that were on me were killed, others from the pull would rush to fight.

I'm not sure I can add more data than has been shared here, and that set of posts by Rygar was a very interesting read. I appreciate what the community is doing to bring this launch back from the past!
Old 08-18-2020, 03:35 PM
Planar Protector

I found more evidence of this 4-mob limit in the eqbards mailing list:

Quote:
Message ID: 14242
Date: Thu Feb 3 18:02:03 GMT 2000
Author: kim@stormhaven.org
Subject: RE: How Lullaby used to be.

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Mike Roach wrote:
>
> my younger years, I remember when Lullabye was useful too. I also remember
> when they changed it so that it would only affect at most 4 mobs instead of
> as many as were in the song radius. Ahhh the good old days.

That's an urban myth. Here's a snippet from my test in
Mistmoore:

[Fri Jan 28 01:34:08 2000] Tormanth begins to cast a spell.
[Fri Jan 28 01:34:08 2000] Your target resisted the Kelin`s Lucid Lullaby spell.
[Fri Jan 28 01:34:08 2000] Your target has resisted your attempt to mesmerize it.
[Fri Jan 28 01:34:08 2000] a dark ritualist's head nods.
[Fri Jan 28 01:34:09 2000] a dark ritualist pet's head nods. (1)
[Fri Jan 28 01:34:09 2000] Your target resisted the Kelin`s Lucid Lullaby spell.
[Fri Jan 28 01:34:09 2000] Your target has resisted your attempt to mesmerize it.
[Fri Jan 28 01:34:09 2000] a shadowy scribe's head nods.
[Fri Jan 28 01:34:09 2000] a flouting gargoyle's head nods. (2)
[Fri Jan 28 01:34:09 2000] a leering gargoyle's head nods. (3)
[Fri Jan 28 01:34:09 2000] Your target has resisted your attempt to mesmerize it.
[Fri Jan 28 01:34:09 2000] a glyphed sentry's head nods.
[Fri Jan 28 01:34:09 2000] a glyphed sentry's head nods. (4)
[Fri Jan 28 01:34:09 2000] a glyphed sentry's head nods. (5)
[Fri Jan 28 01:34:09 2000] Tormanth's casting is interrupted!

I've numbered the successful nods. As you can see, there are
5 of them. Not to mention 10 mobs in the area of effect.

What Verant changed was limit the number of mobs that would
simultaneously attack you. Only 4 mobs will attack you at
once. Others that have aggroed on you will either not move
(thus staying out of range), or not attack (if they are
already in range), or if there's another target they'll attack
that instead. As a result, it's more difficult to get more
than 4 mobs within range of a song at once if you're alone
(it's really easy if you're grouped or in a crowd of players).

From what I've seen, I also think if none of the mobs are
actually attacking you (i.e. you're outrunning them), then
there is no limit to the number of mobs that can chase you.
But once they get within attack range, you'll only get
attacked by four at a time.

--
John H. Kim
kim@...

https://github.com/dbsanfte/eq-archi...rds/14242.json
https://github.com/dbsanfte/eq-archi...tml/14242.html
Old 08-18-2020, 03:48 PM
Sarnak

If this is implemented, I look forward to attempting to 6 man Vindi by sticking 4 green giants on each person prior to engage and using group CHeal while he stands there unable to attack anything. Avatar of War may also work with the same setup and a lot of Wort Pots.

I am....not sure this is a good idea. It will definitely mix things up a lot if done though.