Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 10:35 PM
Fire Giant

Default Practical differences between Teal/Green and Blue?

I played original EQ but it was long ago. I also played P99 blue but by the time I started on blue most of the expansions/patches were released so I didn't get to relive the classic to blue transformation as patches rolled out.

I'm curious if anyone knows of a thread, webpage or maybe just can provide some practical differences in the state of the server compared to say blue.

I know there are some items that still available (like manastone) but I don't just mean items. I mean everything like UI differences (Duxa not available until ?) or like tab targeting (I don't seem to be able to use tab to cycle through NPC targets even though it's in the UI settings page) or maybe ZEM differences or any other good to know differences in this early version of the server?
Old 12-21-2019, 11:02 PM
Sarnak

You can't instantly interrupt a spell by ducking.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:11 PM
Kobold

I believe Blue is being left to slowly die as the "beta" server, while Green/Teal are the "prod" servers that will continue to exist long term, open question being whether they will merge at some point. My guess would be yes long term, as it just doesn't seem likely to me that there will be enough pop to support two servers, but that may be very long term- like well after Velious comes out and most people have done everything they're interested in doing and are off doing other things. But I could be wrong and they stay separate, no one is sure at this point.

If you're even vaguely sane and/or have a job that doesn't allow you to be a walking zombie on Monday, don't even consider jboots/manastone/rubi bp etc. They're completely camped by people who answer false to both of those qualifications and it's like 30 or 40 hours of staying awake to get any of those kinds of items.

Jboots in particular I've never gotten as the gap between when you can get them and the time that 10 dose SOW potions become a acceptable/trivial expense isn't very wide.

Also, stay the hell out of Highpass Hold Keep, it has a higher then classic (to most people) ZEM, and again crazy people who treat the game as a racing simulator are packed in there being full-on crazy time with constant conflict and people getting really upset when they can't get a group.

Same was mostly true on Blue, the "competitive" racers are dominated by none too well adjusted people, and in my opinion it's a much better plan to generally stay out of the narrow paths they take and play the other 90% of the game and worry about whether you're having a good time, and not whether you're making n% higher exp than other people.

If exp rate and raiding and having the very best items is what drives you, prepare for lots of lost sleep and regular conflict with people who manage to still act like 12 year olds even though they're allegedly well into adulthood now.

Outside of that fairly small but noisy slice of population, everyone I've met both Blue and now Green have been nice and helpful and generally very cool to hang with.
Old 12-22-2019, 01:31 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by vossiewulf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I believe Blue is being left to slowly die as the "beta" server, while Green/Teal are the "prod" servers that will continue to exist long term, open question being whether they will merge at some point. My guess would be yes long term, as it just doesn't seem likely to me that there will be enough pop to support two servers, but that may be very long term- like well after Velious comes out and most people have done everything they're interested in doing and are off doing other things. But I could be wrong and they stay separate, no one is sure at this point.
If population trends remain the same as they have been Teal will have the same peak population as Blue by end of January. If Green/Teal don't merge by start of Velious they'll both be ghost towns unless there is a large population influx in Kunark/Velious.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:28 AM
Fire Giant

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by vossiewulf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Also, stay the hell out of Highpass Hold Keep, it has a higher then classic (to most people) ZEM, and again crazy people who treat the game as a racing simulator are packed in there being full-on crazy time with constant conflict and people getting really upset when they can't get a group.

Same was mostly true on Blue, the "competitive" racers are dominated by none too well adjusted people, and in my opinion it's a much better plan to generally stay out of the narrow paths they take and play the other 90% of the game and worry about whether you're having a good time, and not whether you're making n% higher exp than other people.
This is more or less the situation in HHK everyday

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

----------------------------------
[center]
Old 12-22-2019, 06:00 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vormotus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is more or less the situation in HHK everyday

https://i.imgur.com/9yZq0PD.gif

Can confirm this is accurate on green and teal.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 12-22-2019, 06:47 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can confirm this is accurate on green and teal.
I have a theory that if you made a zone in a middle gray monotone that was just a big flat box and populated it with mobs that are plain middle gray balls that make no attempt to attack you even once attacked, have AC and MRs of 0 and 1hp and an instantaneous respawn timer, and set the ZEM of the zone to like 500%, that these people would run like rabid dingoes to spend hours in a plain gray box, killing plain gray balls that don't even try to hit you. Plenty of balls to go around, everyone can have their own and kill them over and over for hours on end and watch their exp bars smoke trying to keep up.

If I was king of the P99 world and thank god I'm not, that's what I would do. I'd either create honeypots that they can't resist or just let them create level 50 characters that are raid-only, none of their stuff works outside of raid zones. Basically find a way to split these people off from the rest of the population and give them what they want, which is the fastest way to level 60 that requires the least effort. Hard fights just slow things down, they'd much rather club baby seals, so give them baby seals, but make it unbelievably boring. Maybe have the entire zone be blank and there's just a button in the middle of the screen that says Give Me Exp that you can click on once every 15 seconds or so, short enough so you can't AFK and do something else at the same time.

And for amusement's sake, make it so you can only go in that zone once, and getting to level 60 from level 1 will take say 60 hours straight of clicking every 15 seconds.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:01 AM
Fire Giant

Id play the shit out of that. As long as I can compete and out greyball club things against other people.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:47 AM
Planar Protector

Claiming gray ball 3!
Old 12-22-2019, 07:53 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Id play the shit out of that. As long as I can compete and out greyball club things against other people.

Not that I don't get competition, I just don't get it here. I played most sports for many years, and have played more than a few PVP games where I was quite dedicated to reaching the top of the K/D heap.

But this isn't PVP, the entire concept of the game is cooperation, not competition. And other than server firsts, I've never seen any awards or achievements handed out for leveling faster than something. So I get it a bit with server firsts, those in fact are recorded and remembered. But absolutely no one will ever know or remember or care that you leveled a shaman fast or that you got your epic really fast. What is the point of competition where no one knows who was better and who wasn't?
Closed Thread