Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 07:11 AM
Fire Giant

Default Would anyone want to be my "Enchanter Mentor"?

I'm giving serious thought to trying an Enchanter later today when I wake up, but to be honest I've been putting it off due to how intimidating the class looks. I know it can do so much, like solo crazy things that other classes can only dream of, but I've also been afraid of not having the skill and management ability required. However I'm still on the search for that class I can ultimately get into and so I plan on trying it out.

I already have so many questions and will probably have many more throughout the journey. Too many and you guys probably won't appreciate me making multiple threads for each one. Just wondering if there might be a master level enchanter out there on this server that'd be willing to back and forth with me about the class in-game.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:50 AM
Banned

You could look up vids by Tecmos Deception or Rektyou on YouTube to see how the class plays at higher levels

Really there’s a lot of overlap between classes in EQ. Enchanters often are charming mobs, but Druids and Necros also charm. So if you’ve charmed on a Druid or Necro before, it’s a lot more of the same. If you don’t like charming, you probably won’t enjoy enchanter. Their charms have a bit more risk because they lack a snare on the charmed mob as an extra layer of protection. This means that when charm breaks happen, the charmed mob (the other mob you are killing is almost always going to be rooted) can close the distance to you very fast. This requires careful paying of attention, especially since later on the mobs can kill a squishy chanter within seconds of melee

Also, a charmed mob will almost always take 50% of your exp, so to charm effectively as an exp method will usually require reverse charming, which is deliberately causing your charmed pet to lose the fight then breaking charm when it is below 10% health and killing it for max exp. If you charm a much stronger pet than the mobs around it, that pet will take 50% exp of everything it kills

The other method of killing is with the animation pet. It’s not going to cut it alone against mobs as you get higher in levels, and so will require slowing the mob, and usually stepping in yourself (and back out with root) while alternating color stuns to keep the mob somewhat stun locked while the pet beats on it

Grouping is being a buff bot and cc’ing mobs with mez, maybe occasionally charming depending on your group. I have exclusively soloed on my chanter so won’t speak on group dynamics

I’m no expert, I’m sure you can find someone in game to provide more info. In summary it is indeed a powerful, but high stress, class
Old 04-18-2021, 12:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have exclusively soloed on my chanter so won’t speak on group dynamics
If your charmed pet breaks every 3rd pull and the healer has to worry about your health then you have overreached and whatever dps your pet is bringing to the fight is being nullified by the havoc it causes. If charm breaks when someone else is starting to get a CH...that can mess things up cause now you're dead and your pet is an add.

As a priest I have noticed this a consistent issue when grouping with chanters who have soloed a lot. Charm a lower level pet. Your greatest asset is buffs and slows and crowd control.
Last edited by BlackBellamy; 04-18-2021 at 12:55 PM..
Old 04-18-2021, 01:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If your charmed pet breaks every 3rd pull and the healer has to worry about your health then you have overreached and whatever dps your pet is bringing to the fight is being nullified by the havoc it causes. If charm breaks when someone else is starting to get a CH...that can mess things up cause now you're dead and your pet is an add.

As a priest I have noticed this a consistent issue when grouping with chanters who have soloed a lot. Charm a lower level pet. Your greatest asset is buffs and slows and crowd control.
Ya definitely. I guess a rule of thumb I’ve heard reg charming in groups is it becomes more useful the less overall kill speed and dps your group has. A group that has lots of dps and is already chain killing quickly really doesn’t need the extra dps (and risk) from a charmed pet. In fact if the chanter had the pet long enough for that mob to have been able to be killed and repopped, then the group actually lost out on its exp. Groups without good dps or with slow kill speeds would benefit more from a pet which will do roughly 4x a single char’s dps

This is along with everything you said about choosing the right target. I imagine good chanters also will plant their pet across a room with pet guard here between pulls to buy some breathing room on breaks if possible
Old 04-18-2021, 01:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

AKA a cleric is not a get out of rune free card.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
AKA a cleric is not a get out of rune free card.
What feels very un-fantasy-like about runes is you are still able to be bashed through them. I know EQ was modeled somewhat on D&D mechanics and in that setting, having a magical shield that absorbs blows prevents all physical blows from affecting the caster. But I guess that would OP and enchanters are strong enough
Old 04-18-2021, 04:59 PM
Fire Giant

So I'm gonna be honest here, this post I made came off a really bad experience I had last night. I was on my 20 wizard killing Crag Spiders in EK. I had gotten one down to 50% but immediately got 3 nukes resisted in a row. I didn't have the mana to finish it off so I ran to a nearby group hoping they'd be able to help me finish it off. They basically just stood there and laughed while the spider beat on me, waited for me to die, and then took the kill for themselves. It made me genuinely feel horrible and reminded me that not all of this server's community is good.

So I immediately gated home and contemplated what I wanted to do next. I don't want to play a wizard anymore. I want to play something that can solo far better, can save itself more reliably, and doesn't have to rely on as many people because you can't always rely on them.

I'm currently weighing my options but atm my top two are playing an enchanter, or playing green server iksar necromancer #71890. I think I like the theme of enchanters more, but the class does seem far more daunting. Especially the idea of farming up a set of -MR gear just to give to a pet, spending all that time and money and then accidently losing it just doesn't sit well with me.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:07 PM
Sarnak

Eh, just play a chanter. -MR gear isn't mandatory. Most CHA gear can be gotten yourself or relatively cheap. Only expensive items you'll really want eventually are jboots and ggr and you can get those yourself if you don't have money for it. You just have to learn how to set up GINA audio cues, which isn't rocket science. Also GINA or that other program for tracking buff timers.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:09 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You just have to learn how to set up GINA audio cues, which isn't rocket science. Also GINA or that other program for tracking buff timers.
*sweats nervously*
Old 04-18-2021, 06:24 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So I'm gonna be honest here, this post I made came off a really bad experience I had last night. I was on my 20 wizard killing Crag Spiders in EK. I had gotten one down to 50% but immediately got 3 nukes resisted in a row. I didn't have the mana to finish it off so I ran to a nearby group hoping they'd be able to help me finish it off. They basically just stood there and laughed while the spider beat on me, waited for me to die, and then took the kill for themselves. It made me genuinely feel horrible and reminded me that not all of this server's community is good.

So I immediately gated home and contemplated what I wanted to do next. I don't want to play a wizard anymore. I want to play something that can solo far better, can save itself more reliably, and doesn't have to rely on as many people because you can't always rely on them.

I'm currently weighing my options but atm my top two are playing an enchanter, or playing green server iksar necromancer #71890. I think I like the theme of enchanters more, but the class does seem far more daunting. Especially the idea of farming up a set of -MR gear just to give to a pet, spending all that time and money and then accidently losing it just doesn't sit well with me.
You'll die plenty soloing on the enchanter too. Often people are slow to intervene not because they're laughing at you but because it's not always obvious when you're helping someone vs screwing them up, if they're even watching. If they were making mocking comments towards you, it's likely they had some kind of bone to pick with you (thought you were sniping their pulls or something).

Enchanters are good at soloing xp, highly desired by groups, great at soloing dungeon nameds, and for me charming is a ton of fun. I wouldn't be surprised if enchanters outnumber necros, but if you like the idea of charming I recommend the class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Grouping is being a buff bot and cc’ing mobs with mez, maybe occasionally charming depending on your group. I have exclusively soloed on my chanter so won’t speak on group dynamics
I typically kept a charm pet when in a group leveling up; it seemed well received at the time. The advice to use an easy pet in groups is good advice.
Closed Thread