Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlankyLanky [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I like wizards too. Very fun class. Like most classes they can do a lot more than they get credit for.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-17-2021, 06:56 PM
Fire Giant

I am maining a wizard right now, made it to level 45 which is where my other best attempt (a mage) is also at. Rerolled on Green about 50 times, including some other attempts at wizard, before finally managing to stick with this one.

I don't know what the future is going to hold but I am honestly having a lot of fun right now. Felt godlike once I got my snare, jboots and staff of tempflux. Killed my first ice giant ever last night. I do like the fact that I can just dump my mana and go AFK for a bit in the span of minutes. Thank goodness for Netflix, Hulu and YouTube. xD

Ports too are another matter. I was surprised at how much people value them. Honestly figured folks would clamor more for druid ones given their ability to send them on their way with a SoW. But I have ported a lot with this wizard and I genuinely feel useful doing so.

The one downside to the class in my experience is their lack of group desirability. I honestly haven't been asked to come to one dungeon in all my 45 levels thus far. It did make the Tempflux staff quest hard and I had to cheat with my retired mage to get that done. As someone who would like to one day see what some of the higher end dungeons look like (Hole, LGuk, SolB, Sebilis, etc) that is a genuine concern. But on the plus side, they are highly desired for raids, so maybe I could just one day get decked out in raid gear and go explore SolB on my own with that, lol.

But all in all I think I made the right choice. I'm taking this wizard as far as I can.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am maining a wizard right now, made it to level 45 which is where my other best attempt (a mage) is also at. Rerolled on Green about 50 times, including some other attempts at wizard, before finally managing to stick with this one.

I don't know what the future is going to hold but I am honestly having a lot of fun right now. Felt godlike once I got my snare, jboots and staff of tempflux. Killed my first ice giant ever last night. I do like the fact that I can just dump my mana and go AFK for a bit in the span of minutes. Thank goodness for Netflix, Hulu and YouTube. xD

Ports too are another matter. I was surprised at how much people value them. Honestly figured folks would clamor more for druid ones given their ability to send them on their way with a SoW. But I have ported a lot with this wizard and I genuinely feel useful doing so.

The one downside to the class in my experience is their lack of group desirability. I honestly haven't been asked to come to one dungeon in all my 45 levels thus far. It did make the Tempflux staff quest hard and I had to cheat with my retired mage to get that done. As someone who would like to one day see what some of the higher end dungeons look like (Hole, LGuk, SolB, Sebilis, etc) that is a genuine concern. But on the plus side, they are highly desired for raids, so maybe I could just one day get decked out in raid gear and go explore SolB on my own with that, lol.

But all in all I think I made the right choice. I'm taking this wizard as far as I can.
Good plan!

Don't forget you've got root. Invis. Eyeballs. And bind sight if you ever want to just explore.

IVU pots are available and usually any see invis mobs can be snuck around or rooted.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:26 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Good plan!

Don't forget you've got root. Invis. Eyeballs. And bind sight if you ever want to just explore.

IVU pots are available and usually any see invis mobs can be snuck around or rooted.
I did have to do a little solo dungeon crawling a while back for the Acumen Mask quest, and did okay I think. This was in Unrest at 38 though. Lots of rooting and careful pulling.

As far as exploration goes, I thought the eyeballs weren't invisible and could aggro mobs. I haven't tried out Bind Sight yet though, that might be far better.

Discovered a neat source for IvU as well recently. My wizard is currently Amiable with The Dead in Neriak, and the Sir Lindeal's Testimony quest yields a nice 2 charge IvU item that can be clicked by anyone. Will be nice to have until Velious when we get our own spell for it at any rate.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I did have to do a little solo dungeon crawling a while back for the Acumen Mask quest, and did okay I think. This was in Unrest at 38 though. Lots of rooting and careful pulling.

As far as exploration goes, I thought the eyeballs weren't invisible and could aggro mobs. I haven't tried out Bind Sight yet though, that might be far better.

Discovered a neat source for IvU as well recently. My wizard is currently Amiable with The Dead in Neriak, and the Sir Lindeal's Testimony quest yields a nice 2 charge IvU item that can be clicked by anyone. Will be nice to have until Velious when we get our own spell for it at any rate.
Oh yeah lol. I forget the eyes are agro in classic.

Yep. Sir Lindeal is great [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-18-2021, 02:38 AM
Planar Protector

You can always invis your pet to stop it aggroing while using it for exploring.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:22 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can always invis your pet to stop it aggroing while using it for exploring.
I never thought about this. I'll give that a try, thanks for the info. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-18-2021, 12:27 PM
Planar Protector

But what do wizards actually do besides nuke things?
Old 06-18-2021, 12:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've always thought this would have been such an incredible change.

That and druid/ranger/mage DS preventing the amount of damage that it reflects; 3 classes that really needed that extra utility in high lvl xp group content and would make druids a viable alternate to shaman for that support spot.
I liked that! I thought of another cool thing wizards could have maybe had. A timeslow spell.

Single target move speed debuff and attack speed debuff, so they could sort of square off face to face against melee mobs.

Maybe it's like a song type duration that can be juggled to remain on by a skilled player. And it'd get knocked off if you melee'd the mob sort of knocking them back into our time speed narratively. That way it's used for a wizard to handle 1:1 situations.
Old 06-18-2021, 01:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But what do wizards actually do besides nuke things?
Be mysterious....

Also, what do enchanters do besides charm things?
What do rogues do besides attack things
What do warriors sks and paladins do besids get hit by things?

I mean...I'm not sure if seriously.
Lost but not forgotten.
Closed Thread