Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 07:13 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgiamatti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Acceptance into academia doesn't always mean progress. Bad ideas can be readily accepted by a lot of people. This isn't something that needs to be pointed out
It is something that needs to be pointed out though since a lot of people think that vaccines are good for us and that evolution is real and that steel skyscrapers can collapse at free fall speed from a couple of small fires.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:22 PM
Planar Protector

It isn't, especially when we have idiots like you running around making it way more apparent than anyone would like it to be.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgiamatti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Acceptance into academia doesn't always mean progress. Bad ideas can be readily accepted by a lot of people. This isn't something that needs to be pointed out.

Progress, on the other hand, is simply progress. Progress doesn't care how many people agree with it. If everyone came to a consensus that we should decapitate a small child and roll its head down a pyramid every Sunday as an offering to the gods, that would not be progress.
Within the last 10-20 years the idea of purposefully decreasing the population of the earth has become viewed as something that will most likely be necessary for human progress and survival. It's amazing that people will now casually talk about how overpopulated the earth is and how Depopulation will be necessary in the near future. The amount of humans that would be brutally murdered in such an event would make your scenario pale in comparisson. Yet, more and more people are convinced that what would basically be a mass genocide is just something that needs to happen. That it would somehow be progressive.

So is it a bad idea, or would it be progress?
Old 07-03-2015, 07:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
And by the way, I'm always going to completely ignore any piece of literature that uses the word "scientism", unless it's for the purpose of ridiculing its use as pseudointellectual jargon, which it is.

Wikipedia on Michael shermer:
Shermer is also the producer and co-host of the 13-hour Fox Family television series Exploring the Unknown. Since April 2001, he has been a monthly columnist for Scientific American magazine with his Skeptic column. He is also a scientific advisor to the American Council on Science and Health.
In February 2002, he characterized the position that "God had no part in the process [of the evolution of mankind]" as the "standard scientific theory".[40] this was criticized by fellow scientist Eugenie Scott in January 2006, who commented that science makes no claim about God one way or the other.[
Then his 2006 book Why Darwin Matters: The Case Against Intelligent Design, marshals point-by-point arguments supporting evolution, sharply criticizing Intelligent Design. This book also argues that science cannot invalidate religion, and that Christians and conservatives can and should accept evolution.
The Mind of The Market: Compassionate Apes, Competitive Humans, and Other Tales from Evolutionary Economics was released in 2007. In it Shermer reports on the findings of multiple behavioral and biochemical studies that address evolutionary explanations for modern behavior.
Shermer made a guest appearance in a 2004 episode of Penn & Teller's Bullshit!, in which he argued that events in the Bible constitute "mythic storytelling," rather than events described literally.

Obviously someone who would want to belittle science.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:48 PM
Planar Protector

You're seriously asking me whether I think mass genocide is bad or progressive?

Human beings are currently a detriment to the planet, but that doesn't mean any measure that decreases our population is a progressive one.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:49 PM
Planar Protector

Moot since the US and Russia/China are poised on the brink. The idea that nuclear war can be "won" rings the bell for us.

Just a matter of time, now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
if your reason to be here is to ruin other peoples experiences and grief them off the server, then not only do you not deserve the privilege of playing here, but i will remove your ability to do so.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenzig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Obviously someone who would want to belittle science.
It's just such a silly term. It doesn't bring up any interesting arguments and is far too often coopted and appropriated into conversation for the scoring of points or leveraging oneself where someone simply doesn't have any.

So go ahead and bring up scientism - I'm not saying you can't, I'm just saying I'm going to ignore it.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
It's just such a silly term. It doesn't bring up any interesting arguments and is far too often coopted and appropriated into conversation for the scoring of points or leveraging oneself where someone simply doesn't have any.

So go ahead and bring up scientism - I'm not saying you can't, I'm just saying I'm going to ignore it.
I didn't say it. One of your unbiased scientists did.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenzig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I didn't say it. One of your unbiased scientists did.
As Christopher Hitchens would say, "impartiality has absolutely nothing to do with objectivity." In other words, being unbiased has absolutely nothing to do with being right or being wrong.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:45 PM
Kobold

Quote:
It isn't, especially when we have idiots like you running around making it way more apparent than anyone would like it to be.
The problem is that you're actually the idiot and don't actually understand science and you go around ridiculing those that actually do, thinking that you're smart when in reality you're a giant fucking moron. People like you are literally everything that is wrong with the world. You have shit for brains and are devoid of critical thinking skills. You think Wakefield is a fraud because a bunch of morons told you so and you believe it because you're an even bigger fucking moron than they are. You should honestly do society a favor and kill yourself because as it stands, you're just a complete waste of existence.
Closed Thread