Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 05:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Somehow I managed to level a Paladin to 50 when P99 was pre-Kunark, then a Shadow Knight to 60 during Kunark. If I can do it, anyone can.

people can be dumb.

Danth
Preach
Old 09-24-2019, 06:00 PM
VIP / Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Wenai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizax_Xaziv [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People are already pitchforking the Hybrids, who will have a hard enough time of it on their own with the experience penalty!

Give us the patch that normalizes the grouping-exp-split from server launch so these guys don't have to deal with the persecution!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
P99 had non-shared penalties at first. It sucked. The wife had to repeatedly suicide her cleric down to keep similar level to my Paladin. The group-averaged experience split is far preferable.

Danth
Danth do you know the timeline of these events from live? I actually am not sure if I ever knew about the non-shared penalties.

Launch = Shared Exp Penalties
??? = Non-Shared Exp Penalties (was this at the same time as the class exp removal?)
Velious Era = No Class Exp Penalties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizax_Xaziv [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I agree with you entirely, but MANY people do not. Even back in the day on Blue people would refuse Hybrids due to the xp-sharing. It's gonna be worse early on G99, sadly, because nobody is gonna wanna feel like they're slowing their progress and falling behind the pack.
Naw. When SolA was completely full I took a group of adventurers on a run through the Karanas to get to Permafrost, and included in that group was Mugwy the Paladin. There was lots of Hybrids who were leveling up at a decent rate, and being part of groups.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:04 PM
Planar Protector

The (remaining) penalties were changed to non-shared at the same time as the class penalties were removed in early Velious. That's why Ogres, Trolls, and Iksars (and barbarians to a smaller extent) level more slowly than other races even today on P99.

The non-shared penalties on P99 at launch were purely a glitched implementation. That being said early in original EQ's beta it was that way too. 989/Verant changed it before launch because they noticed groupmates couldn't keep up with each other.

Danth
Old 09-24-2019, 06:09 PM
Fire Giant

I mean, no hybrid penalty is why so few people play warrior on blue. Keep em in, keep it classic.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:19 PM
Sarnak

Question please:

If a group already has one exp-penalized member (by class and/or race) is the penalty increased if the group adds a second exp-penalized member?

Thanks
Old 09-24-2019, 06:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomeCaptain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Question please:

If a group already has one exp-penalized member (by class and/or race) is the penalty increased if the group adds a second exp-penalized member?

Thanks
Imagine the mob's XP as a big pie. Each player gets a piece of that pie based on their XP requirements, with players that have class/race penalties, or players who are higher level, taking a bigger piece (than their "fair share") of that pie.

Adding someone else who takes a bigger piece of the pie, whether because they are a hybrid or because they are higher level, definitely slows the XP gain for the rest of the group ... but the devil is in the details as to how much exactly.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:28 PM
Planar Protector

This is a non issue for me because, I'm like the one and only person here with RL friends that will play with me. Probably the only one with RL friends period. Get jelly!
Old 09-24-2019, 06:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenzig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is a non issue for me because, I'm like the one and only person here with RL friends that will play with me. Probably the only one with RL friends period. Get jelly!
My IRL friend who got me into P99 (and then left years ago) claims he's coming back for Green. We'll see: I may or may not be jelly.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:30 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Imagine the mob's XP as a big pie. Each player gets a piece of that pie based on their XP requirements, with players that have class/race penalties, or players who are higher level, taking a bigger piece (than their "fair share") of that pie.

Adding someone else who takes a bigger piece of the pie, whether because they are a hybrid or because they are higher level, definitely slows the XP gain for the rest of the group ... but the devil is in the details as to how much exactly.
I see, thank you.

So a Cleric and Mage, for example, might rather group with a Human Warrior and Bard than the double-exp-whammy of a Human SK and Bard.

I just wondered if we might see a dynamic in which a group might accept one hybrid, and reject any exp-penalized members thereafter.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:39 PM
Fire Giant

But maybe that SK plays better? maybe that SK is better geared? maybe that SK actually knows how to pull? maybe that SK won't be AFK every 5 mins because of GF aggro? maybe that SK won't leave your group in 5 mins LD?

my point is: you are not guaranteed at all to make more XP in the first setting.

but yes this is how XP splitting works.
this is not how playing EQ works tho. IMO.