Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 11:52 AM
Sarnak

It's only an issue with a few drops (Manastone, Guise, Beads really).

The thing is these items were never as contested on live because players didn't know that the devs were later going to remove them from the game. Here, we have that advance knowledge and so player behavior on green would be much different than live.

It might not be popular POV but I would say these items shouldn't exist on green. On live they weren't retroactively removed because it would have been unfair to those that had earned them.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Spawns in the game can no longer be claimed or controlled by a single player or group. Whether it is a single or multiple spawn, for an item or for XP, low or high level, all groups wishing to camp a spawn must work out some type of rotation or means to share the spawn.
This (100% classic) rule alone would solve everything. Oh you want some Holgresh Elder Beads?

Old way: If you're the first person there you hold camp as long as you can while getting as many beads as possible, then give the camp to a friend to get as many beads as they can. If you're not first you have to show up, outlast whoever got their first AND any friends they may invite to takeover the camp, and then if you somehow manage that now you get to monopolize the camp for as long as possible.

New way: Just like OOT AC: after you kill a Holgresh Elder (or maybe after you loot a beads, but that'd be hard to prove since no one can see whether you looted them or not) you have to give the camp to the next person in line. If you want to keep going you have to go to the back of the line, and if you don't a GM will happily give you a suspension for ignoring the server rules.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 12-12-2017 at 01:34 PM..
Old 12-13-2017, 01:34 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This (100% classic) rule alone would solve everything. Oh you want some Holgresh Elder Beads?

Old way: If you're the first person there you hold camp as long as you can while getting as many beads as possible, then give the camp to a friend to get as many beads as they can. If you're not first you have to show up, outlast whoever got their first AND any friends they may invite to takeover the camp, and then if you somehow manage that now you get to monopolize the camp for as long as possible.

New way: Just like OOT AC: after you kill a Holgresh Elder (or maybe after you loot a beads, but that'd be hard to prove since no one can see whether you looted them or not) you have to give the camp to the next person in line. If you want to keep going you have to go to the back of the line, and if you don't a GM will happily give you a suspension for ignoring the server rules.
Yeah this exactly.

Some of the peepz that will soon turn up will likely say "lolz, who wants to take turns at X mob" but the reality is nobody usually does and taking turns was generally a punishment by guides / GM's for those that petitioned rather than sorting out the issue themselves (like getting their item and leaving rather than giving to friend (cough alt cough) or corpsing.

An additional benefit is you'd find, like you did on live, that disputes went down because there was a rule that everyone was aware of that didn't involved foot racing, FTE and other nonsense that was not classic. Its a simple rule and its difficult to break and non-rule lawyerable.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:45 AM
Sarnak

Here's a solution for green -- take the nerfed items and just never put them in no camping required then. They then can be GM event rewards? Yep not classic, but then how one defines classic can differ.

A slightly different method to avoid the major poop socking would be public waitlist you get added to list and it just goes in order by your ability to show. Once you have had camp you are removed from the list.. ie just a giant queue but not needing to poop sock in zone, but this would rely on player honesty. Only issue here is what other rules would be dropped in place -- level limit or what not. I mean why can't I loot something to a level 1 if I manage to get it killed and can get toon there?
Old 12-16-2017, 01:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexii [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's only an issue with a few drops (Manastone, Guise, Beads really).

The thing is these items were never as contested on live because players didn't know that the devs were later going to remove them from the game. Here, we have that advance knowledge and so player behavior on green would be much different than live.

It might not be popular POV but I would say these items shouldn't exist on green. On live they weren't retroactively removed because it would have been unfair to those that had earned them.
Post legacy and pre-planar/pre-sol ro temple would be a great start point to a new server imho.

What does stuff like manastone really add, beyond nerd bickers?
Old 12-16-2017, 01:40 PM
Sarnak

A little late to the party and only read the first couple of pages, so I apologize if this has already been said. One solution to this problem could be coded into the game. You can set boundaries within the zone around said camp/mob spawn by location. Have that boundary be relative to the max distance (plus some fluff) someone could aggro the mob with either a range item, spell or pet. Once the item is registered to the persons account, a timer starts for the area the item just dropped from. If the person (associated by IP) were to step into this area within the given time frame, it ports you back to the entrance of the zone. Once you’re outside of the timer window, you can go back to the area until you get another drop. Obviously this isn’t classic, but it could be done with some work. Just proposing a solution.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:03 PM
Kobold

It's not classic but there is a simple fix. All items (regardless of value) that stop dropping could be tagged as lore for the account. No more accounts with the same no longer drops items on every character. Of course, people have multiple accounts and would still get away with it. But, it would lessen the extent to which these items are hoarded. If those items are tagged that way from day one of a new server it would preemptively fix the issue all together.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:18 PM
Fire Giant

It's a volunteer staff working on their hobby. It's an an old game originally created with spaghetti code. Don't hold your breath for technical resolutions to in game problems!
Old 12-16-2017, 05:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by branamil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's a volunteer staff working on their hobby. It's an an old game originally created with spaghetti code. Don't hold your breath for technical resolutions to in game problems!
I'm not so sure about this. Nilbog and the devs have been able to implement plenty of pretty complicated fixes/changes. The only two barriers have been does the client make the change possible, and is the change "classic".

The rules for "camping" on p99 have nothing to do with coding, they are just rules posted by the GMs and enforced in game via petitions. Those rules could be whatever they feel like enforcing.

I'm not sure any changes are needed. I don't feel like there has to be a solution that creates an outcome where everyone can get a manastone or a guise. I'd like to see a solution that somehow enrages and punishes whatever neckbeard tries to collect all the manastones like they are M&Ms, but that's only because I'd find it really entertaining to watch on the rants and flames board.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by branamil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This, plus THE ENTIRE POINT of Project 1999 is to re-create classic EverQuest. Historically the extent of the staff's willingness to add non-classic rules has been things like FTE messages (which literally do nothing other than announce who hit the mob first) and the 25 mob AoE limit (which was more or less a technical limitation for the majority of EQ players in 1999 anyway).

My point being, entirely new changes to the game (like account-lore items) are an anathema to the entire project because by definition they're not classic. The only thing I could see (and one staff member mentioned this, but I think they may have been joking) is eliminating items like mana stones from the beginning. One could justify that as "classic" because even the classic developers took them out, and presumably would have done so at launch had they known what problems those items would cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not sure any changes are needed. I don't feel like there has to be a solution that creates an outcome where everyone can get a manastone or a guise. I'd like to see a solution that somehow enrages and punishes whatever neckbeard tries to collect all the manastones like they are M&Ms, but that's only because I'd find it really entertaining to watch on the rants and flames board.
I don't see it as a binary issue, ie. it's not like the only two options are "allow losers to hold a camp for months at a time" or the Oprah option ("you get a manastone, and you get a manastone, and you ...."). As has already been mentioned, simply enforcing the classic/live Play Nice Policy would prevent both those outcomes, and instead force people to "wait in line" for manastones the same way they wait in line for the OOT Ancient Cyclops now.

Now could a neckbeard with no job or life wait in line longer, and thus have a much better chance of getting a manastone? Absolutely. Classic EQ will always reward people who are willing to invest more of their time. But giving the person who spends more time a proportionally higher chance of getting an item is completely different from letting the person with the absolute most time monopolize the item and prevent anyone else from getting it.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 12-16-2017 at 05:43 PM..
Closed Thread