Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Old 02-27-2022, 09:50 PM
Kobold

Default Boredom when Playing Necro.

My level 23 Iksar Necro can be very boring to play. I get tired of having to hold the pet back until My dots do atleast 51% of the damage to the Mob. Maybe I'm too low level to have a good idea of the Class, but it seems really boring. I honestly have more fun playing My shaman, Enchanter, or really any other Class. Just seems really slow at low levels. Lots of sitting, send in pet, wait on dots that you cant even see the damage done, to drop the mobs hp. I sometimes feel like going to bed and take a Nap instead of playing my necro.
Old 02-28-2022, 01:17 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by long.liam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My level 23 Iksar Necro can be very boring to play. I get tired of having to hold the pet back until My dots do atleast 51% of the damage to the Mob. Maybe I'm too low level to have a good idea of the Class, but it seems really boring. I honestly have more fun playing My shaman, Enchanter, or really any other Class. Just seems really slow at low levels. Lots of sitting, send in pet, wait on dots that you cant even see the damage done, to drop the mobs hp. I sometimes feel like going to bed and take a Nap instead of playing my necro.
Start charm killing to help the levels go by, what you’re doing is more ideal if you duo with someone. call of bones helps at 34 but they really come into their own at 49+ with lich, splurt, shadowbond, etc. had more fun than leveling my Necro than enchanter.
Old 02-28-2022, 01:33 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Start charm killing to help the levels go by, what you’re doing is more ideal if you duo with someone. call of bones helps at 34 but they really come into their own at 49+ with lich, splurt, shadowbond, etc. had more fun than leveling my Necro than enchanter.
Ah ok. Good idea. Where is a good place to charm on a Necro at level 23?
Old 02-28-2022, 11:08 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by long.liam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Unrest. 24 would be easier, screaming terror and undead lull
Last edited by PatChapp; 02-28-2022 at 11:13 AM..
Old 02-28-2022, 11:18 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Unrest, or various loio areas if you want some space to practice more(start with courier area then move to west side of lake). But I'd stick with unrest until 37 or so where you can then move to kaesora and fine tune your charming to prepare for CoM/HS. I'd recommend getting an instant charm break item if you can(Goblin gazughi ring or pre nerf CoS). With those you can break charm and really low % and just kill with hungry earth & eventually deflux at 54.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpjhDVLiQYg

There's a good high level charming video can use those techniques for any level really, eventually learning to use dots as needed to finish off mobs when your dots dont suck anymore.

Good luck, don't lose hope as the class is incredibly versatile and a blast to level once you get a bit higher and your options open up more.
Last edited by Crede; 02-28-2022 at 11:22 AM..
Old 02-28-2022, 01:27 PM
Planar Protector

My necro was the most fun character I leveled, but it didn't kick into gear until 50ish. Once you can charm, pull, be the group healer, all at once, it's a blast.

The class basically changes entirely at 49+.

How twinked are you? Are you in a raid guild? If so, I'd do everything in your power to get a Soul Well staff from VP. It's much better than epic (though you definitely want epic too) and will play a part in how you play. Considering picking some Staves of Undead Legons and Tolapumj Robes for pet gear later.

Consider getting powerleveled to at least 34. I believe that's when you get the first decent Lich spell. I leveled in HighKeep until the early 40's, then went to Guk and did a lot of reverse charming. It was very handy in learning how to charm well later on.

Always keep up Manaskin. When you twink, lean towards resists. Velium BD bracers, Stone of Morid, etc. If you get one big ticket item make it prenerf CoS for sure, then ZHeart.

50+, everything changes. You can go to KC basement and basically be a one man show in groups. Charm a pet, heal with Shadowbond and Pact of Shadow, use Soul Bond or Vexing Mordinia to heal yourself, pull with Lull, handle charm breaks by FDing and instantly standing and ST or just recharm. If you prefer to solo, HS is great for the challenge. It will make you a better player. Just remember that when you're solo you have to reverse charm. ie - don't kill stuff with your pet. Root the enemy and break charm before it dies. (pre-nerf CoS is big for this) Then finish them both off.
Old 02-28-2022, 01:38 PM
Fire Giant

Waiting to do 51% damage before sending pet in seems less efficient than just killing as fast as possible... idk though my necro is only like lvl 20 so i'm no expert
Old 02-28-2022, 01:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Waiting to do 51% damage before sending pet in seems less efficient than just killing as fast as possible... idk though my necro is only like lvl 20 so i'm no expert
Yea, I'd just duo with pets or charm until at least 49/51 when you can start playing around with more efficient dots. Lich, ignite blood, and splurt make for rotting a much more enjoyable experience, even though charming is still superior.
Old 02-28-2022, 06:41 PM
Planar Protector

If you don't like necro then don't play it
If you have an enchanter, your necro will only disappoint you

Trust me I have both
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 03-02-2022, 07:29 PM
Aviak

Something I didn't realize for a while, make sure to isolate your failed FD message " Dickhead has fallen to the ground". Also get Star of Eyes to blast ST. If you have hp then wait 5 sec to FD.