Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 04:08 PM
Kobold

Default I belong in AA - Need your Advice

Let's face it, there are plenty of us that belong in Altaholics Anonymous. We play a character for a while and think "OMG I really feel like playing _____" and before you know it, you've dropped your extra plat to gear out another character.

Then it happens again, and again and again.

I'm Blake and I have an Altaholic addicition.

I beg of you, forum friends, to help me settle this problem.

I want so badly to get into the later levels, do some raids, gear up and actually make money. However, my ADD kicks in and its GG.

As you'll see in my signature, I have a lot of alts. My current favorite is a level 9 enchanter which I was planning to make my main.

So I ask of you two questions:
1) how do you deal with AA?
2) which toon should I pick?

I can't be the only one with this problem, and other people seem to overcome it. I overcame it on live somehow... can't seem to do it here yet.

Any advice is greatly appreciated ^_^

P.S. - The root cause of the problem is that I like the different classes for different reasons. I see myself enjoying almost any of these at end game, but my feelings change depending on the day. I haven't really played EQ for the last few days since I was at PAX in Seattle... I figured that would be a good time to think about it freely and I haven't come any closer to making a decision.

MAIN - Zynfandel Whitewine - Level 26, Iksar Necromancer
Remyx N'Sync - Level 30, Half Elf Bard
Resolve Carpetcleaner - Level 28, Barbarian Shaman
Zyzzyx- Level 13 Dark Elf Enchanter
Shoryu - Level 13 Gnome Wizard
Maokai - Level 6, Wood Elf Druid

I definitely don't have Altitis.
Last edited by Zyn; 09-03-2013 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: added PS
Old 09-03-2013, 04:10 PM
Planar Protector

Pick a pure caster, a healer, a tank and a melee dps.

1 of each... no more! Stick to those 4 until they're all at least into their 40s/50s.

That way you've got all bases covered... you don't need a wizard/necro/mage/enchanter. They all cross over anyway in their own ways, as do healers, tanks and melee dps [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Planar Protector

If you want to get into the high levels quickly, then you need to learn how to AE level with your bard. You could be 46 in like 10 hours, and the tears that would flow in OT /ooc for those 10 hours would be icing on the cake.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:12 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pick a pure caster, a healer, a tank and a melee dps.

1 of each... no more! Stick to those 4 until they're all at least into their 40s/50s.
That would mean I would have to roll a new alt for a tank ahaha, this is only hurting me, not helping me.

Tank would definitely be a SK or Pally, have ZERO desire in a warrior.

Melee DPS I have my bard

Healer would be my shaman

Pure caster is the tricky one, I really enjoy pure casters and have enchanter and necro (and hell I could even see myself playing a Wizzy)

Old 09-03-2013, 04:14 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you want to get into the high levels quickly, then you need to learn how to AE level with your bard. You could be 46 in like 10 hours, and the tears that would flow in OT /ooc for those 10 hours would be icing on the cake.
I've tried this, a lot. I find myself only getting frustrated, dying and not having fun. I'm sure at some point it probably pays off, but coming back to this game was supposed to be a fun, nostalgic experience (although its EQ and things can get frustrating from time to time) but I don't want to have to suffer for 25-30 hours, lose 3 levels, before I finally figure out how to swarm kite.

Not only that, swarm kiting has become relatively common on P99 and it's hard to get into a good zone for it where there aren't already tons of bards doing it too.

Also, Tecmos, I don't want to let you down... I'm really enjoying enchanter, but I also enjoy a lot of other characters. Maybe I need to play my chanter up to 16-20 ish and see if I fall in love, then that'll fix the problem.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Orc

I'm guilty as well. My friend always gives me grief for it. I never was able to get past mid 50's on live because I would constantly make a new alt. I've done pretty good to stick with my necro on p99 for this past month without much time spent on alts. In short, I don't have a solution, except for maybe give all your plat to me so you won't be tempted/able to twink anymore = P
Old 09-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Planar Protector

AE kiting is using AEs. Swarm kiting is using charm.

It's hard to get over the "FUUUCCCK!!!! I DIED GOD DAMN IT!!!!" feeling... but if you can get yourself to remember that you earn 20x as much xp from one successful, one-hour-long kite as you lose from 1 death, you're golden.

That's definitely the fastest way to get into the 50+ game, but no point doing that if you're just going to give up on your bard cause it isn't your cup of tea. Enchanters definitely are a late blooming class, unfortunately, so you don't get the full feel for how they work at 50+ until you're 50+ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 09-03-2013 at 04:29 PM..
Old 09-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Planar Protector

Another approach...which epic is the most alluring to you of the classes you play? Pick one and don't stop til you've got it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Kobold

IMO stick with the shaman. There are a number of big milestones on the way to 60 to keep you motivated:

- Pet at 34
- JBB at 45 + when you can afford it
- Epic when you can obtain it, probably early 50s
- Torpor at 60

He can solo but is still loved in groups, and he is your second-highest level character. Shamans are late bloomers and you have already cleared most of the crappy levels!

Edit: Typo
Last edited by Hamahakki; 09-03-2013 at 04:29 PM..
Old 09-03-2013, 04:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamahakki [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
IMO stick with the shaman. There are a number of big milestones on the way to 60 to keep you motivated:

- Pet at 34
- JBB at 46 + when you can afford it
- Epic when you can obtain it, probably early 50s
- Torpor at 60

He can solo but is still loved in groups, and he is your second-highest level character. Shamans are late bloomers and you have already cleared most of the crappy levels!
Not to mention tanking Lodi in Velious... take a ticket, there's a lot of shammies queueing for that [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread