Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 03:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by remen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Splitting camps is easy with shaman root, SK in this particular duo isn't much different than warrior pulling.

Also, FD isn't that big a deal in a duo, since your shaman cant FD and will need to CR anyways from a wipe. SK spell utility really doesn't synergize very well with a shaman.
Feign and splitting becomes critically important for doing difficult top-level areas where things are resistant enough (or there are enough adds) where root might not work reliably. Hence why you see monks and shadow knights favored over warriors for very high-level shaman duo partners. For ordinarily leveling content I agree feign splitting isn't--usually--all that important. The original poster seems unlikely to go all the way to 60. Counterpoint, though, is that there's really not a lot of point in playing a warrior if you don't plan to raid with it. He's not really getting the most out of either class in the environment he has chosen, but neither is he really going to go wrong with either one. They'll both get the job done.

Disclaimer: SK is my main on P99 and has been since 2012, and I spend a lot of time online duo with the wife on her Shaman. Obviously we've been level 60 for a long time. Hence I know that duo very well.

Danth
Old 11-10-2020, 03:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by remen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Splitting camps is easy with shaman root, SK in this particular duo isn't much different than warrior pulling.

Also, FD isn't that big a deal in a duo, since your shaman cant FD and will need to CR anyways from a wipe. SK spell utility really doesn't synergize very well with a shaman.

I've leveled an SK and a warrior past 50 here, and the dps difference is staggering. I can't overstate how strong berserk dps is, I actually leveled my warrior faster than my monk.

But again, EQ is more about the journey and fun, any melee + shaman duo is strong so just think about what you would enjoy most.
This is a silly argument for not needing FD. Plenty of situations where a sk can fd without the shaman being in Aggro range of the mob. It’s incredibly useful and makes sk/shaman one of the best duos out there.

For those who don’t want to play wars in zerk mode, the dps difference between the 2 isn’t that staggering anymore in normal gameplay since sks were put on war dmg table and the 2h bonus patch came into effect.
Old 11-10-2020, 04:07 PM
Planar Protector

I agree with Crede, FD is still quite useful at lower levels.

In a duo situation where you have a melee class and a class that can bind themselves, the priority is to save the melee class if you want to reduce recovery time from a wipe. The reason for this is simple: If the Shaman dies, they just go back to their nearby bind point and quickly recover their corpse. If the melee class dies, they will have to run from the nearest city, which can be pretty far. By having FD on the melee class, the Shaman can prioritize making sure the SK gets a successful FD while they are wiping. Then the Shaman dies and just runs back a short distance from their bind point. The Shadowknight could also drag the Shaman's corpse if they are in a more dangerous area.

Lower level hunting spots have plenty of areas where you would not want to pull the whole room/camp, without risk of dying or having a long recovery time after. Having FD keeps the play session more consistent from a mana perspective, and safer from a pulling perspective.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:57 AM
Banned

Lower skill players will have a better time w/ SK + Shaman. Its more forgiving when mistakes are made.

Competent players will out-pace with warrior + shaman by a country mile...its not even close.

That being said...if the goal of the duo is to explore, take risks, etc...of course SK is the choice. If you want to get to 60 faster and have a class that is far, far better on raid / hard-hitting mobs, you go warrior.
Old 11-11-2020, 12:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by radbeard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think raiding is boring AF so I don't plan on getting that
Shadow Knight. Boom.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:27 AM
Fire Giant

given the OP's use case, SK
Old 11-19-2020, 07:05 AM
Sarnak

we have been playing as SK/Shaman and its been great. We just hit 24 and now the shaman will begin to really shine. We both have ceremonial iksar BPs. Ebon Mace is really strong and we are both having a great time.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:05 PM
Planar Protector

Shadow Knight/Shaman only gets stronger as a duo the higher you go. It's at its best at 60. If you like it now you should keep on liking it because you're just about at your relative worst at the moment. That's the duo I've done with the wife on P99 since ~2012. It gives good service for everything you can reasonably ask of a melee-based duo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs86z [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Competent players will out-pace with warrior + shaman by a country mile...its not even close.
Only to a point: The Warrior-based duo can potentially level faster, but it's more limited in the long run because of the lack of feign splitting. If someone stops at level 50 I tend to concur with you.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 11-19-2020 at 12:10 PM..
Closed Thread