Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 11:48 PM
Planar Protector

No one has answered OP's question.

OP, Lull, Soothe, Calm, and Pacify all land on mobs up to 55. However, each tier of the spell decreases aggro radius by a greater amount. For instance, if you Lull a mob and get close to it, or pull its friend close to it, it will still aggro. If you Pacify it instead, you can fight right next to it.

Secondly, the duration gets longer. Pacify is 7 minutes. You can kill multiple mobs right in front of a pacified mob for those 7 minutes. And then you can refresh it, hehe.

Off the top of my head, aggro radius reduction, duration, and mana cost are the only three factors that differ. Using that info, you can determine when to use Lull, Soothe, or Calm. But definitely scribe all of those spells. Does that answer your question, OP?
Last edited by Videri; 11-17-2020 at 11:51 PM..
Old 11-18-2020, 12:29 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatdane [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The whole line of lull spells is pretty horrible without very high charisma. If you have the kind of charisma that a paladin is likely to have in normal gear, it's rarely safe to cast it at all because there's like a 30% chance to just aggro the whole batch. You really need 150-200+ charisma to comfortably use lulls in any setting where a hard fail is dangerous. It's pretty much just an enchanter thing. And of course Harmony for druid/ranger since it's unresistable.
I used lull on my paladin all the time on groups of mobs that we could handle all together, but preferred to split if possible. i mean it's okay if all three jump on us, we'll root and back up and mez etc. it will cost a lot of mana and downtime after the fight but whatever. but if lull works and i can pull only one? or two? then all the better and we've saved a lot of mana and time. why not use it?? I don't understand your logic to not use something because it has a (high or not) chance to fail. This is the case for so many things in EverQuest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] (e.g. Feign Death, Gate, Tradeskill combines, name it...)

@OP: I used Lull most of the time. But sometimes if mobs are closer to each other, or the pathing is weird/bad, or you need the extra duration etc. I used Soothe. So yes it is worth it to have all three in your spellbook and play around with them a bit IMO.
Old 11-18-2020, 01:02 AM
Planar Protector

Thank you Videri for correcting me. I noticed that after I posted it but thought kaev would fire back so didn't bother re-making the ms paint masterpiece (little joke at the end)

you're correct.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 11-18-2020, 02:10 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pacify is worse radius than calm? I use the heck out of pacify thanks to donal's bracer and it feels like I can sit right on them without getting agro.

-Mcoy
Pacify has a better radius than calm. I think a lot of people just assumed calm was the best for so long because pacify's duration was garbage for the amount of mana it costed until the 2019 patch which made it longer. for a cleric with donal's bracer though pacify is a no brainer. for many enc/pally calm still makes the most sense due to its efficiency
Old 11-18-2020, 08:35 AM
Kobold

Yes, quality info fellas...thank you!

WTB crude stein, pst Ascher (:
Old 11-18-2020, 11:14 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pacify has a better radius than calm. I think a lot of people just assumed calm was the best for so long because pacify's duration was garbage for the amount of mana it costed until the 2019 patch which made it longer. for a cleric with donal's bracer though pacify is a no brainer. for many enc/pally calm still makes the most sense due to its efficiency
Apologize for the incorrect information on my end earlier. I always thought Calm was the “best” of the spell line. I haven’t played enchanter much since the patch changing the duration of Pacify so I just always used calm.
Last edited by Barlu; 11-18-2020 at 11:20 AM..
Old 11-18-2020, 11:29 AM
Banned

This is why top tier paladins max CHA at creation and keep a bag of high CHA items in their inventory.
Old 11-18-2020, 11:58 AM
Planar Protector

Most of the time you will need to use at least Soothe. Lull itself does not usually reduce aggro by a large enough radius except in particularly spread-out camps. Calm works well enough for nearly anyplace and Pacify is only seldom necessary unless you need to walk practically on top of something.

Danth
Old 11-18-2020, 04:53 PM
Sarnak

One thing to mention is deep water vambraces have soothe on them. I use these mostly all the time instead of scribing any spell. You can pick up a Luminary Two Handed Sword for the charisma buff. There are quite a few other cheap charisma items paladins can wear as well. I only use the sword and I'm s high elf though. Good luck on the pulls!
Old 11-19-2020, 01:45 AM
Planar Protector

All good points.

It’s not hard for most to get mid 100’s CHA which is very functional for solo or group work. A kobold jester helm is 30 and a crude stein is 15. Sham’s and ench’s can buff about 50 and the Luminary sword as mentioned is a lower level sham spell (like 28 points?). Dragonskin mask is high AC and CHA; not bad for general tanking. Two Overseer Signets are 16 CHA (good for extra MR sometimes too). Plus all the ragefire armor is full of CHA.

Solo or farming I use DW arms; swapping for a click is easier than meming a spell and no sit aggro. If pulling or helping pull I use calm or pacify. Usually you have clarity so it’s not a huge cost and the cast is quicker.

When solo just assume lull might fail, then every landed one is a blessing. In a group set expectations and stay chatty, hope for the best. With a team awake at the wheel worst case 5 mobs rush the tank who has LoH up. That’s way less chaotic than a swarm at an ench or cleric. It’s not a clean pull but controlled chaos is kinda fun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].
Last edited by Snaggles; 11-19-2020 at 02:02 AM..
Closed Thread