Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 03:02 PM
Planar Protector

I remember Shamans in 1999 being considered underpowered and Wizards needing nerfed. Sometimes I miss the days of not knowing.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:06 PM
Orc

Back in 99 the cap was 50 so Shaman didn't really come in to being overly strong til later. P99 will never truely be the real classic experience, just like Classic WoW isn't how it was back in 2005-6. To much is known, meta exists, etc.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:06 PM
Orc

I believe the classic shaman to be reasonably balanced but once you get lvl 51, turgurs insects, they become OP.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:39 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqravenprince [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I remember Shamans in 1999 being considered underpowered and Wizards needing nerfed. Sometimes I miss the days of not knowing.
I wonder if I would enjoy a version of everquest where everything is randomized including spells and skills to make up classes of bizarre random types that we have to just figure out before the server resets in a year.

I dont even care if the mithral 2h sword drops off of the froglock squire so long as whoever figures that out uses that power to be the top guild that year. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] We're talking a server where you might have a complete healing life sucking warrior as a class lol
Old 02-03-2020, 04:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelquest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wonder if I would enjoy a version of everquest where everything is randomized including spells and skills to make up classes of bizarre random types that we have to just figure out before the server resets in a year.

I dont even care if the mithral 2h sword drops off of the froglock squire so long as whoever figures that out uses that power to be the top guild that year. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] We're talking a server where you might have a complete healing life sucking warrior as a class lol
Would be interesting to figure it out again and again. That is part of the fun.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:47 PM
Sarnak

Do not worry even in mid to late 40s many shaman tanks out tank many tanks on green. They hold agro better and as a cleric healing them it's still 1 CH per mob... same as most tanks.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:29 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bum3 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do not worry even in mid to late 40s many shaman tanks out tank many tanks on green. They hold agro better and as a cleric healing them it's still 1 CH per mob... same as most tanks.
I've never EVER seen this. Paladin's and SK's can easily hold aggro as well as a Shaman, and while a Warrior has trouble, I'd much rather just root the mob and let a Warrior tank with amazing mitigation as opposed to letting a Shaman try to. Hell, even a Ranger can hold aggro decently well with snare/flame lick, and they get parry/dodge/riposte.

Shaman's only defensive skill is dodge which maxes out at 75. Even a cleric would out-tank a shaman, and could hold aggro just as well using Stun.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathulu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
what about raid guilds, do they still want shaman?
You're correct the class is overpopulated on green, and while some spot healing and a wider spread of buff casters can be nice on raids, the class does not stack that well at all. You can quickly reach a saturation point where additional shamans are completely superfluous.

They can be nice for groups but stack even worse for a six man, so any 40's+ xp group will never want to invite a second if they can help it, despite people claiming that slow tanking shaman are somehow common or welcome.

You can of course solo well, if you can find the camp you want open these days.

In the long run its not really the best choice for pick up grouping, nor for raiding unless you like death and constant buff requests. And to get to the super powerful level 60 solo god status you will need to acquire very rare and high priced Kunark drop spells.

Good luck, have fun.
Closed Thread