Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 02:47 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Fairly fresh newbie

Hello all,

I’m fairly new here; had a character a few years back but couldn’t really find the time to play. I’ve since rolled a human Wizard (now lvl 10) and may have made some mistakes. I never played live so P99 is my first and only EQ experience.

I’m very stubborn and don’t often read guides/manuals/etc, so I am worried I made a subdued character. My stats are: STR: 75, STA: 85, AGI: 75, DEX: 75, WIS: 85, INT: 105, and CHA: 75. Is this a poor stat list for a wizard? Just curious.

Really enjoying the game so far, I love the community and everyone seems to be very helpful. That said, any advice is welcome for this intrepid wizard!

- Galthhob, Human Wizard.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:00 AM
Planar Protector

Ah I see. You put 20 into INT and 10 into WIS. Not the worst mistake in the world but it would have been nicer had you accidently put the 10 into any other stat but wisdom. Regardless, stats barely do shit in this game for wizards other than INT and yours will be maxed at endgame regardless.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:19 AM
Banned

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Probably never notice a difference.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:28 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkimage [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hello all,

I’m fairly new here; had a character a few years back but couldn’t really find the time to play. I’ve since rolled a human Wizard (now lvl 10) and may have made some mistakes. I never played live so P99 is my first and only EQ experience.

I’m very stubborn and don’t often read guides/manuals/etc, so I am worried I made a subdued character. My stats are: STR: 75, STA: 85, AGI: 75, DEX: 75, WIS: 85, INT: 105, and CHA: 75. Is this a poor stat list for a wizard? Just curious.

Really enjoying the game so far, I love the community and everyone seems to be very helpful. That said, any advice is welcome for this intrepid wizard!

- Galthhob, Human Wizard.
There are two trains of thought on this:
1) if you are a min-maxing type of player who wants best in slot gear and to do the hardest content and get the best endgame gear in the game, this will bother you forever
2) if you are not, this may be only marginally bothersome because you have a slightly smaller mana pool or strength total or hp total than you would otherwise. Humans are considered the “base” race that doesn’t specialize in anything, so they are not the min-maxing choice for any class, but they are perfectly fine for any class.

If you are player #1, reroll now rather than in 30 levels (and consider Erudite). If you are player #2, play on. I’m more #1 than #2, and I would love to go back and reroll my chanter to a high elf and add 10 more points to Charisma... but I’m not going to do it because I have invested far too much time into my toon.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:34 PM
Fire Giant

+25 INT +5 STA/STR would have been the more traditional choice for you.

you did +20 INT +10 nothing (WIS is unfortunately completely useless on a wizard, not even any kind of marginal contextual use, 100% nothing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] )

Humans already have the best STR/STA of all the wizard races, so you're not losing much there.

So you lost 5 INT, at your level this is about 10 max mana. (at level 50 it would be about 50mp)
Your level 12 damage spell costs 60mp, and your total mana pool will be around 250mp.
Check how many times you have only 50mp left and can't DD and that sucks and having that extra 10mp would have saved the day. I bet this is will be very close to "never". The most important thing is mana regen, and for that your stats changes nothing. the only mana regen mechanic Wizards get is Harvest at level 34, Flowing Thought X on some very high end items, and your epic (and some other crazy items like Manastone).

TL;DR don't bother. your character is very fine as it is. however if you think you will hate you for this in two years, you could also restart with +25 INT +5 STA/STR and get to level 10 in a week... but it is far from being necessary. (if you do reroll, i recommend picking Solusek Ro as a Deity for http://wiki.project1999.com/Imbued_Platinum_Fire_Ring which are cool on Humans cause you have a high base STR)
Old 04-17-2018, 04:25 PM
Planar Protector

Heres one other angle. What you did was less obtrusive then what anyone who rolls other races does stat wise. I just made a Dark Elf Cleric. I think Dark Elves are interesting and clerics look badass as dark elves. The problem is I start with 99 Intelligence because my race threw all those points there. Int does for me what WIS does for you. Many races have effects just like these. I mean any race putting your Agility over 75, or Wisdom or Int on any non magic users or Wis for Int classes and Int for Wis classes is essentially just wasted.. and people waste multiple dozens of points on these in race selection all the time.

But my Dark Elf gets to be a Dark Elf, with the white hair and blue skin. And my Barbarian shaman has a racial no other shaman can duplicate, which is Polar Bear Form and a Kilt.

and a human wizard might have a few extra points in wisdom but he gets to be a jade eyed red haired mystical dude, or an eyepatched blonde pirate wizard, or just have a fancy stashe or goatee.

But if you rolled a clean faced human just reroll.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:56 PM
Fire Giant

I'd reroll personally may take you a day or two to catch back up at the most, even less if someone gives you some high lvl buffs... Small trade of time to fix the mistake now as opposed to forever regretting the lost stat points at 60
Foxlich [60 Necromancer] Foxplosion [60 Wizard]
Foxstab [60 Rogue] /Foxcharming [60 Enchanter] / Foxfrenzy [60 Warrior]
Old 04-17-2018, 04:57 PM
Planar Protector

Just lay on a few extra sage comments in your RP and you'll be set!
Old 04-18-2018, 10:26 AM
Sarnak

As people have said, what you did with your starting stats is a small error. I'd just reroll because, ew human.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:01 PM
Sarnak

Cenn: Umm, you can change your face any time, right? Or was that a funny?
Closed Thread