Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 09:18 AM
Fire Giant

Noct blade is very similar dmg/delay wise and about 1/2 the cost. Put that extra plat towards a haste belt. People seem to be anti haste on tanks, but leveling up a SK let me tell you haste is a game changer, especially if you plan on soloing/duoing at all.

Noctivagant Blade
Flowing Black Silk Sash
Mackaroni <Seal Team> - Human Monk
Last edited by Nightbear; 06-25-2014 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: added links
Old 06-25-2014, 09:53 AM
Planar Protector

Haste is pretty useless if you are grouping... Your role is to hold agro and not die. Having haste is irrelevant to that objective as a hybrid.

Haste is godly when you are soloing since you are the only means of DPS and the faster you kill stuff the less it hurts you.

I would agree with above. Ebon Mace and Noct Blade are solid items, just get whichever is cheaper. Atramen Shield is also quite boss.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:28 PM
Kobold

I have a http://wiki.project1999.com/Sash_of_the_Dragonborn on my rogue I could use when I solo but I plan on grouping as much as possible with him.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:34 PM
Planar Protector

It is true that haste on a knight tank won't add much to most groups' damage output, and it's pretty much the last thing to look for gearing a knight tank due to mana-based agro tools making it much less critical than it is for a warrior. However, it stretches the truth into the realm of falsehood to call it irrelevant to agro, especially if you are fighting without clarity. And, as Nightbear mentioned, when you're solo/duo (including during that partial group wipe because the wiz started nuking while the cleric was afk and then the chanter got a resist...) the extra damage will be worthy.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:49 PM
Fire Giant

While haste may be a lot less useful for hybrids than warriors in groups, I wouldn't say it's irrelevant. At least at low levels (can't speak for 40-50+) the extra threat from the increased swings per minute will help you hold threat with fewer spells cast. As a pally, if I get a haste buff (and am not grouped with a bunch of other melees that would be similarly affected) I notice an immediate drop in how many times I have to flash to hold threat. One or two fewer casts may not sound like a lot, but that means switching to rooting/healing/etc earlier in the fight, as well as saving ~100 mana over the course of a few pulls. I imagine SKs would see a similar effect?

tldr; +1 for haste belt
Maamdak Battlebeard - 48 Dwarf Rogue
Crunkasaurus Rex - 49 Ogre Shaman
Mendak - 51 Halfling Druid (Green)

<Paradox> RIP
Old 06-25-2014, 06:23 PM
Sarnak

haste belt definitely useful if you solo. Not so much in a group setting. However, in a group, it will increase the overall dps of the group and will also increase your aggro due to more damage. Not that it matters much (your dps is sub par and you have other means than damage to generate aggro) but every little bit helps if you can afford it.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/ab9521a00...4dqyo1_250.gif
Old 06-25-2014, 07:12 PM
Orc

if youre ~lvl 20 with an ebon mace and FBSS you will be doing pretty good DPS regardless of the other classes. haste will increase dmg, increase aggro. it will help a group. All in all, this is a game. if you want to do more dps then buy a haste belt. if your DPS is uselss then every SK would just have stamina/dex and use a procing weapon for even MORE aggro. Thats not fun, so have fun with the game. Do what you please, not what min/maxers say.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:57 AM
Fire Giant

sell darkforge helm, buy a skull shaped barbute

buy/farm a Fur Lined Mask for a cheap face slot

bloodstained mantle or tattered mantle for a cheap shoulder slot

buy/farm Dark Rust Boots, sell the darkforge boots or just use them for the ac until you get some levels under your belt and stamina starts giving higher HP returns/ac starts giving less noticeable mitigation

As far as weapons, ebon mace/atramentous shield is a pretty expensive combo. You may want to consider rolling with a green jade halberd. Its incredibly cheap in comparison, has good stats, and a decent ratio. And with the extra money you would have spent on a shield/mace or shield/noc blade you could easily buy an FBSS and maybe something else like a granite bracer, etc.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:52 AM
Kobold

deathbringer rod is p sweet too, after damage cap lets up. basically the sk baton of faith?

re: haste - as a soloing babby sk all i know is that when some generous passerby casts haste on me it *fukin rulez* for my grinding efficiency. imo make sure you invest in a CoS though before the price gets even more jacked up