Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 12:22 PM
Planar Protector

Default Practical Lumi Staff question

I dusted off my old druid and made a push for 46 recently. The xp after hitting 46 has been phenomenal but for those druids who have continued to quad from time to time higher - how much use did you get out of lumi staff beyond 52/53? The exponential rise in mob hp I expect makes kite time jump time pretty silly with a 184dmg quad spell, but having mana free damage will undoubtedly be much faster than not.

Is it worth keeping around for consistent use?
Is consistent use worth it while quadding?
Is it worth keeping around as a supplement?
Should I just plan on embracing the afk when quadding happens later and just blast them dead faster with level appropriate spells and sell the lumi?
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 01-30-2018, 12:40 PM
Banned

My druid isn't quite high enough to use the Lumi staff yet but I asked some of Druids in AM some questions before I bought it and basically the answer was "its great to power level yourself from 46-52 but after that it starts to get pretty gimp".

Having mana-free clickie is still better than nothing for when you are Charming however, and that's probably what you will be doing 52-60 unless you have some good friends who want to PL you. Not sure you want to be de-rooting your Charms by casting sh!ty spells on them though...

So maybe someone with some experience can answer, but my initial investigation shows the usefulness does indeed wear off pretty quickly. Basically its a niche tool for 46-52 but it goes from OP to crap fairly fast
Old 01-30-2018, 12:52 PM
Sarnak

I've used it almost never 52+. Even 50-52 I mostly used the lvl 49 quad spell, and unless I got very unlucky resists the staff remained in my bags.

I like quadding cause you kill fast and afk, the Lumi staff is great 46-49 because it actually kills mobs at a pretty good rate, it's okay 49-52 in that it let me save Mana to do 2 quads before medding sometimes, and 52+ I almost never used it (my gear got much better at this point and could do 2 quads without lumi pretty much).

The 1 exception was when I was quadding Othmir 56+, sometimes due to partial resists needed lumi to finish of a mob or 2.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:53 PM
Planar Protector

I mean the math makes sense ... even at a terribly inefficient 20 seconds per successful click it works out to 245dmg per possible med tick. Even the best efficiency nukes don't work out to much better with potg + c2 completely discounting the cast time of better quad spells.

At the same time, the whole concept of quadding for xp is less about absolute efficiency and more about being favorable to a lazy play style of long meds for fast kills then rinse and repeat. Even then, having mana-free damage to mop up a poorly planned quad that might drain you is seductive.

But I could use the cash for my warrior's new haste item project and 184dmg per hit is awful with mob hp 4k+

Old 01-30-2018, 06:46 PM
Fire Giant

I kept from 1-60, just knowing I could nuke down something a little faster in certain scenarios where I didn't want to sit and med instead of using staff. Also if you're quadding and have to wait for all 4 to spawn at the same time staff is faster than just medding and using ES Vambs or VeliousBracer.

I sold once I got epic finished.

If I was level 55+ I prob would have sold once I finished epic.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:14 PM
Planar Protector

I've always thought of it like a druid JBB. Great for the 40s, less useful in the 50s and only used on occasions at 60.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:56 PM
Planar Protector

There's really no reason to ever get rid of it though, imo. Its uses get quite more limited, but it's not like you'd need the plat it'd get you after it's obsolete.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:17 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've used it almost never 52+. Even 50-52 I mostly used the lvl 49 quad spell, and unless I got very unlucky resists the staff remained in my bags.

I like quadding cause you kill fast and afk, the Lumi staff is great 46-49 because it actually kills mobs at a pretty good rate, it's okay 49-52 in that it let me save Mana to do 2 quads before medding sometimes, and 52+ I almost never used it (my gear got much better at this point and could do 2 quads without lumi pretty much).

The 1 exception was when I was quadding Othmir 56+, sometimes due to partial resists needed lumi to finish of a mob or 2.
This is my exact experience with the lumi staff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menden View Post
Wow, someone actually got it right. Lhancelot gets a gold star. They are 100% set by players even though we will enforce the way Lhancelot stated above.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:12 AM
Sarnak

I could quad non-stop in SG with main quad spell to like 20-40% and then clicks with potg and/or c2 on. You won't make a lot of friends, hah. I used a lot of those dudes on the beach and get chests when it was busy. I kind of liked the not stopping.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:01 AM
Planar Protector

53 now on Druid and the lumi staff is still the most efficient option. On a whim I respec’d evocation (will go back to alteration eventually). The higher quad spell now costs 208 mana for 1908 damage (9.17 damage per mana). This works out to 30 functional dps per med tick without POTG or clarity which isn’t bad.

Running my parser using lumi alone it averages 39dps continuously with a high around 45 (rare up to 49) and a low at 34dps. Variance is due entirely to my timing as there is little wiggle room if the cast isn’t started close to max range. Dps lost is usually from overshooting and having to wait an extra 1-3 seconds to start the click.

With plenty of mobs and active play lumi wins. I generally use mana taken on breaks and passive regen from any buffs I have to supplement kill speed with the cast nuke.

The area I’m hunting now is nice and laid back and won’t mostly green out until 55.

Closed Thread